grounded101

Help with getting started!

I need some help getting started in the sport. I went out and visited a Drop Zone near where I live. I noticed that there was only one female, and the guys where picking on her. (what guys do the best) I have made one skydive (in a different state) and I wanted to get into the sport. My question is how well is a female welcomed into the sport?

Hey Grounded,

Welcome to the forums! Just a tip: you should fill out your profile a bit so people have some idea of who they're talking to.

As for your question: of course women are welcomed into the sport! Well, at least all the women i know anyway. Skydiving is the one sport on which men and women can compete on an even playing field because being a good skydiver has very little to do with physical strength.

:)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hello, I am veyry new to skydiving and haven't even taken a jump yet but I can help you! Guys picking on girls is just a weird way guys flirt. (I just graduated from high school trust me on this) Guys pick on girls for their attention lol if she wasn't there they would probably curl up and die!;)

I guess that I was looking for a more of an answer than that.

Actually, I think he sumed it up really well! :ph34r:

What kind of answer are you looking for? No matter how many pros there are, there is still that one really big con. To be an active skydiver, you have to comes to terms with the fact that there is a chance that you could die doing this.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey Grounded-
I agree with Skymama- that is the essence of this sport. To expand on it a little:
Pros: In this day and age, the equipment is good enough (downright awesome compared to 25 years ago when I first tried to get into it- and didn't jump because of the gear) and the training has evolved to a level that if you want to do it, the risks are definately manageable. There is nothing else in this world that offers the freedom and excitement of skydiving, NOTHING!
Cons: You will run into a few egomaniac twits over time, but many less per capita than you will find in the rest of the world. The big negative, as is so eloquently stated elsewhere on thes forums, is that if you stink at skydiving you will die doing it. If you get good at it and stick with it, over time you will see others die doing it.
As for the A H's who can't talk to women with respect, you will run into them- but the vast majority of skydivers are here to jump-with whomever. This is one sport where men and women are welcome to participate as equals! So my advice is to make a few more jumps and see if it is something that you really want to pursue!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....