chris_uk

How scared/nervous were you before your first jump...

I was scared as hell before my first jump, but the fear is what makes this sport better and more fun than any other sport in the world. For all those people that say they aren't or weren't scared I dont understand how you have any fun. The fear of leaving an airplane towards certain death, unless you take the proper precautions, is the best part.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Hi All- I am new and have only had one jump *tandem* under my belt but would like to do it again in the next month....

My first time..was..well... the cartoon of the cat with the arms stretched out at the door and the claw marks...that was me... I screamed and cried...Although when you see my video I looked calm and under control...but I wasnt.. When we touched down- my JMaster unhooked me, and I passed out,,, It was a classic Kodak Moment....

:P

I don't know, but for some reason I wasn't scared a bit my first tandem jump. I was a little nervous, but to say I was scared isn't really right. Now my second tandem I was a little scared and a bit more nervous. Everyone I have spoken to says it is that way. Now that I have four tandems (no that is not a typo I have done 4 and no AFFs yet) I am almost scared to do AFF. I really want to but for some reason I get this knot in my gut when I think about having to land on my own. Finding my way back and all. Nothing else scares me except I feel I may get lost. It's strange but that is how I feel!

I recognize myself in what you write. I did 3 tandems. I was nervous and very excited, because I wanted to do that and I loved the freefall part.
I decided to start AFF. Level 1: freefall went fine, but it was at the moment I pulled, I realized that from that point on I was on my own :o. Couldn't see the DZ and landed way out, but safe. Level 2: freefall ok, landing again way off, but safe. Did level 3 twice (but did not pass), both landings, do I have to say it: safe, but way off again. Seems like I don't steer the parachute, I just let it fly me :S. But from that point the fear really set in. Haven't jumped anymore. But it never goes out of my mind. I still want to start again, first do some tunnel in February, with the intention of continuing AFF after.
Once you tasted freefall, the feeling never goes away. Every day it's in my head, I always look at the sky, I'll spot any plane I hear and say, or, too low to jump or yeah, that's high enough :)So I now what I have to learn: make that chute go where I want it to go. I'll have long talks with my instructors I'm afraid, sorry guys :$.

5 th aff coming up and still very very nervous, but learning to relax and enjoy! i'm not much of an expert in anything in this life but i learned long ago to LISTEN HARD to the experienced people that surround us. you know damn near all of em have been through what we are now! GUARANTEED!! punch through the fear and all will become clear.. circa david 2006!! we can do this... because we want to listen to what your instructor tells you and u will b fine. learn first then embrace and enjoy

I had the same feelings after I first felt freefall. Although I had better success with my canopy flying I was still afraid of landing in trees or something. At this point you should be on radio assisted landings still while under canopy so just do exactly what your instructors say and youll be fine. Memorize your dropzones landing pattern and just make slow turns and keep and eye on your altimeter and everything should go smoothly.

As long as your landing safely after every jump then you really arent "failing" since any jump you walk away from is a success, but your just not passing to the next level. I jump at a small DZ so everyone is really open and available for advice and I found that asking the pilot(whose also a very experienced skydiver) about landings, wind direction and spotting was super helpful.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

jarrodth,
thanks for the input. But we have no radio assistence over here (Belgium).
And in groundschool I never have been teached about a landing pattern :(.
I'll be going to another DZ I have visited several times since "no more jumping" and I have noticed that they teach much more thoroughly. It gave me confidence again. It's a much longer drive, but I can see the benefits of it. I'm not giving up :)Thanks for the positive response.
Good luck on finishing your AFF :)
Edited to say: you're off AFF :$

My first three jumps were tandems, not even a second thought. LOved them. Now my firdt AFF was another story. You couldn't have pounded a needle in my butt with a sledgehammer. Not scared of dying, but of screwing it up.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.