chris_uk

How scared/nervous were you before your first jump...

Hi All. :)
I have wanted to skydive a long time and am competely new to skydiving. I have booked my first S/L next Sat. Although I am probably a 5/6 on my poll, I think the benefits will outweight the anxiety.

What are your ratings?

Blue Skies!

Hey Chris,

My first jump was a tandem and I really wasn't scared at all. I've been around planes alot and have had alot of oppurtunity to try "stunts" inside small planes. The only point where I did actually gets scared was when some one spoke in the plane, actually it was the pilot and he was yelling rather than speaking. He yelled "DOOR", I thought I may fill my pants at that split second. It still makes me nervous when they yell DOOR, but as soon as it's open, it's all good, I climb out and smile all the way down!

Enjoy your jump next saturday!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I did a tandem two weeks ago (after 2 static lines 27 years ago!). So I feel the tandem was the first in my book after so much elapse time.

I wasn't nervous looking out the window or out the door after it opened. I wasn't really nervous getting out on the strut at 11K ft. What got me was the final command...ARCH! and we flew off into air...lol. I was like, "Oh crap we are going!". After we stabilized I really didn't have too many worries until I looked at the ground and thought, "Oh crap we are gettin close!"...about that time the instructor threw the pilot chute out and I got a jolt.

Just did my AFF 1 this sunday and again the only thing that really bothered me was when I let go of the strut and stepped off the platform. Again, I was like, "Oh crap here I go!" But it was much better than the first tandem....easier.

The first time, the first step, brings a lump to your throat. After that it gets much easier. And the ride down after the chute opens is tremendous...assuming you don't have a real problem with heights and feel comfortable with the chute.
Damn, this is fun!

You don't get to experience this type of anxiety all that often, so look at it like "good" anxiety. It's fun to be nervous before you fall out of a plane!!

Welcome to the forums! :)
I was terrified. I never would have jumped out on my own, it's a good thing I was attached to someone else! I was also terrified on most of my student jumps. It's a wonder I stuck with it. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm surprised that you can't see the carpet wear marks at the dz where I paced non-stop before my first tandem. I was perma-grinning, white knuckling it all the way to 10k, but as soon as we let go and were falling, I was all smiles! I did my first tandem just to be able to say I skydived once. Never in a million years did I think that nine months later I'd be only a few jumps from my class B license!
For about my first 15 student jumps, I had issues with the door opening but as soon as I got the "step out" command, it was all business.
Now I can't wait for the door to open. It means I get to jump out now!

you'll be fine mate, just lisen to what your instructors tell you. You will most likely be in a class off people so you will all be in the same boat. Its only natural to be nervous or scared. There is no high quite like it, i can almost garrantee the smile on your face once you land and the speed at which you will want to do another jump. :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I did my first tandem a year ago and I was pretty nervous. I wasn't like i'm not gonna jump nervous but you could definitly see it in my eyes on the video! On my second tandem I wasn't nervous at all I was just pumped to get out the door. I have AFF level one on 8/5 and i'm a little nervous just because it's that much more responsibility but I suspect I'll feel better once I go through the class.
Good Luck B|

I'm a complete newbie, so take this with a grain of salt.

I honestly wasn't scared before my first jump, I had some nerves, but they were the good kind. I think this is just because my mind had kind of shut itself off from thinking about what was actually going to happen. When I got to the door I felt slightly disconnected from the situation.

I'm much more nervous about my second jump! I think this has been made worse by things delaying it. I know if I could just spend more time at the DZ and in the air some of those nerves would be soothed. Not all of them of course, afterall we are preparing to chuck ourselves out of a plane. :P

It's normal to feel nervous and to even be dead scared. It's normal to have some 'digestive system distress' :S as well. But it is definitely worth it. :)

Blue skies! Enjoy your first jump!

I’m glad the poll has the “odd moment of feeling terrified”, that is the perfect description for me. I was absolutely excited the entire time I was getting ready to go, walking out to the plane and climbing up to 14K for that first tandem. We got to the door and I was still thinking, wow, this is SO COOL. Then we stepped out and I realized there was nothing beneath my feet. Nothing to grab on to. Just nothing.

HOLY CRAP!

I screamed like no tomorrow. Then it took just a second for me to register that I could either choose to be afraid, or I could choose to enjoy what would either be the last few moments of my life or a whole new future. I chose to take a look around and see the world from a perspective most people don’t ever experience. And as we drew closer, I wanted to do more and more. By the time SBS pulled the chute, I thought nothing could ever be better than that experience and even if it was the last thing I ever did – it would be worth it. So then we slowly made our way down under canopy and I continued to enjoy having wings.

Now, I have to admit that since I am on my AFF Level 5, I am getting a bit more nervous a bit sooner. I am responsible now for making sure I don’t die – not someone who actually knows what they are doing. Fortunately, between Gareth, Roy, Q and Clay, I think I have had some of the best instructors in the sport, so my confidence in myself is strong enough to keep me going. And every time I step off that plane it gets a bit easier. And every time I am more under my own power, it gets that much more invigorating.

Jean
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

I just took my ground school course at the beginning of last month, waited two weeks for the rain to stop, and began jumping. My first jump was a training tandem and the only times I was nervous were from the ground up to about 3,000 feet, and then when the door opened. Like most of the other people who've replied, once I'm out the door all concerns are gone and it's just fun.
I did also get a bit nervous after my first AFF jump just trying to work out the timing on my flare. I was on radio but got very nervous and when I finally heard the "flare" command I slammed down on the toggles and came to a standstill about 12 feet in the air. PLFs work!! I was so nervous after that that I almost rode the plane down from my second AFF jump, but I went out the door, only stalled out 6 feet above the ground that time, and was so excited to do it again that I can hardly explain it.
Anyway, I'm at 19 jumps now and am much less nervous on takeoff and when the door opens, but I do occasionally experience an adrenaline dump. My advice is to try to do at least two jumps a day so that you're not so nervous (the first is always the most nerve wracking).
The only downside to any of it is that you may lose sleep, lose focus at work and annoy your friends because you're always thinking or talking about skydiving.

Excuse me for eavesdropping on your conversation, but that whole "losing focus at work" thing is MUCH too accurate. I haven't even done my first jump; I just spend time in the tunnel so far and I STILL can't concentrate at work. Of course, maybe that has something to do with watching skydiving videos online instead of doing other, more productive things, but it's still a problem that is made much worse by the fact that I have to work in order to feed the obsession.
TPM Sister #102

It's so bad. I DO understand--all too well! I need to have time to become an instructor before I get fired for lack of concentration, so at least I'll have a job opportunity when they decide I'm useless behind a desk. It's good that you have the disease so that I'm not alone. It's like having my own support group--except that we feed each other's obsessions instead of making it better. No that I would have it any other way!
TPM Sister #102

I have to say that you are 100% accurate on the whole job issue. I work overnights and have LOADS off free time on my hands. And, what do you suppose I spend it doing? Yep...you are right. Looking at skydiving videos, shopping for gear, planning my next trip to the dz (which is about every other day or two) thinking about my last jump and my next jump and everything else you can possibly think of. Its pretty dangerous having your mind on skydiving 24/7 but alas I LOVE IT!!

p.s. on the whole poll thing...i was not nervous one bit. I thought I would be, but I wasn't. I have 21 jumps under my belt since May 2006; and can never get back up there soon enough it seems!
BSBDB|
"A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt ~

Guys, my apologies for "jumping" in on this, but I am finding heart and courage from your forum posts!

I did a couple of tandems a couple of years back in Florida and about 10 years ago, did the silly little 2,500ft static line sponsored parachute jump here in Scotland (I guess thats where it all started!)

I have finally commited (just tonight) to go do the AFF course with my buddy. WE go to Florida Skydiving Centre, Lake Wales in December. I can't wait, really lookin forward to it..... BUT.. I am scared silly! My first Tandem was a breeze. The second tandem a year later nearly had me lose control of my digestive system as I approached the door. Maybe that was because I knew what was coming?

Now I'm faced with having to take control myself and exit the plane (whereas previously, it was not my decision) and I keep thinking of that moment, that nano second of sheer terror at the door and I wonder; Will I be able to do it?

From what I have read so far in this forum, my fear is not unique and that is encouraging!

I hear that completely. I'm supposed to do my first tandem on Saturday, after having spent a bit of time in the wind tunnel. I love the tunnel and can't wait to experience the same thing, but I am really struggling with the door fear. The good news is that I have several friends who will be at the DZ and they are in love with the sport, so I know I'll have good encouragement right there with me!
TPM Sister #102

Yea nice!!

Just don't think about it too much;). You'll be fine! Just think of the rush and excitement! That usually overwhelms the fear rather quickly.

Have fun and I might see you there (even though we've never met, lol)

:P don't worry so much about being "afraid" to exit, look at it in this way: you are excited b/c you GET TO jump out of a perfectly good airplane! If there was no exciting feeling in the pit of your stomach, why keep doing it again and again??
You will do great!!!

Blue Skies and soft landings!
"A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt ~

I was scared, "7". I went because a friend of mine wanted to, I had never really thought about it that much. Once I did it I never looked back. I make 400 jumps a year and cant get enough. This is my life now, skydiving is so cool and it gets better with every jump.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.