xtrmlover

Starting AFP next week (most likely)

Hi, i never jumped before but i'm planning on starting next week over at Skydive Long Island in Calverton. I'm wondering if i can complete A certification before Aug.26th, pretty much I'll have eight weekends, since i'm working mon-fri full time.
Also if anyone jumped over there, I know a train goes there and then u take a taxi cab (anyone knows how much that costs?).
Just wanna know if i can finish off before that, since on 26th i'm going back to college. I can jump at Finger Lakes in fall though. Will the remainder of solo jumps there count towards certification or I'm supposed to perform them all at the same place?

Don't know much about the area you're talking about, but I can tell you that I have heard of a few people completing their AFF in a weekend or just a few days. It can be done, and by those standards, you've got all the time in the world.

Good luck, and I'm totally jealous!!;)

How much do 25 jumps run roughly? I've been looking at various websites and prices are different. Some say coaching jumps, some say only AFF1-7, some say RW jumps. So i far I calculated somewhere between $2500-3000, with all the rental fees and memberships

I'm wondering if i can complete A certification before Aug.26th, pretty much I'll have eight weekends, since i'm working mon-fri full time.

Disclaimer: I am pretty new myself, so take any or all of this with a grain of salt.

The minimum is 25 jumps, which means you have to average a touch over 3 jumps per weekend, which isn't impossible. At least at first, you will probably do a max of 2 or 3 jumps a day, but later, you might do more. Some of it depends on external factors like the weather, although one saying I've heard is "you can't skydive from your couch" - meaning, go to the dropzone anyway and hang out and if the weather does improve, you're ready to go. Also, even if the weather's crappy, you can do things like learning to pack.

Also if anyone jumped over there, I know a train goes there and then u take a taxi cab (anyone knows how much that costs?).

Best bet would be to call the DZ and ask. Second best bet would probably be to post in the Events and Places to Jump forum and mention the DZ in the subject line, like "Transportation to Skydive Long Island" or similar. You might even find somebody that can give you a ride sometimes.

Will the remainder of solo jumps there count towards certification or I'm supposed to perform them all at the same place?

They don't all have to be at one place. If you're still working on your A when you switch dropzones, don't be surprised if the new dropzone wants to have some assurance that you know what you're doing... they will probably want to look at your log book, and may have you talk to an instructor for a while, and/or maybe make a jump with a coach or instructor. It's not a big deal though.

As to the money, the $2500-$3000 figure you quoted is probably a good ballpark figure. This averages out to $100-$120 a jump, which is about right. The first few jumps will be more than this and the last several will probably be less.

Welcome!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.