metacomet

Blue Sky Virgin

Hi!

Just like the title says, I'm a blue sky virgin - haven't even gone up yet. :)

I've always wanted to try skydiving. I've longed to do it, to feel the experience of a freefall, to float under the canopy. Videos of jumps, the equipment, military paratroopers - all these things have fascinated me since I was a little girl. I've always told people "Skydiving is at the top of my 'things to do before I die' list." But recently I realized I'm not getting any younger, or any healthier, so why keep saying "someday..."?

So I decided for my birthday I'm going to treat myself to a tandem jump. I've been doing lots and lots of reading, lots of research, picked out a DZ and I truly cannot wait. I've got over a month until my birthday and I wish I could speed up time. I don't know if this jump will be the beginning of something, but I know at the very least it will be something special I'll always have with me.

One thing I have noticed in my reading is the wonderful sense of community and comraderie that exists between those who enjoy the sport. I hope you guys don't mind having a curious newbie around. :)

Thanks and blue skies,
Liz

ya know, if it's your own birthday present to yourself, why can't you go early? Tomorrow is never a given...call your DZ and book your tandem!!

I'm making mine tomorrow morning!! (First for me as well.)

Why delay any longer?

Blue Skies,
Yvonne

Although I'm really excited about it, I'm going to force myself to wait until my birthday. I figure it'll make it even sweeter (hopefully!). Plus the weather in this area is so bad right now (and not expected to get better anytime soon) I probably don't have much choice in the matter anyhow.

Have a good time on your jump!

Blue skies,
Liz

Oh, I hear that is a good dz with some new facilities and a nice "family" of skydivers. I hope you have a great time!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I did it, and it was, of course amazing. Intense, exciting, and so completely different from anything my mind could have even imagined. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week, and it's taking a hell of a lot of effort to keep from calling the DZ right now to schedule another jump this weekend. I do plan to jump again very soon. (I'd also like to say the people at Jumptown were great and I felt very comfortable there.)

That being said, some things happened during the jump that bothered me. Not the jump itself, but my reactions during, reactions that surprised me.

First of all, while most of my mind was thrilled at what was going on, there was a small part that was less than sure. And at times it seemed like the experience was so overwhelming my mind would 'disconnect' from what was going on. I was able to regain focus towards the end of the freefall, but this bothers me. I expected to feel some fear, and even perhaps not like some of the stuff I was experiencing, but the numb/disconnected feeling was a surprise. When I saw my video I got another shock. Despite having gone over proper posture in my mind for weeks and weeks, I spent the first part of the freefall with my legs in less than stellar position. I just wasn't thinking about them, and they did their own thing, I guess. :S

I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that this kind of thing isn't too unusual for newbies and can be overcome. I want to defeat that part of my mind that was thinking negatively during the jump, and I want to defeat the part of my mind that allowed me to space out (and do the leg thing). I'm generally a very focused person, and feeling myself flake-out during a jump was surprising and worrying. [:/]

Blue skies!

dont worry too much about that, sounds like typical sensory overload where things are happening a bit too fast for the brain to process it all. I know very few people who remember any significant portion of their first freefall - it took me about 5 skydives to really be able to recall the entire jump. :)

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Yea, don't worry about a thing...that's all normal. Just sensory overload.

I know on my AFF lvl 1, I COMPLETELY spaced on my legs, haha. I got the legs-out signal about 20 times. Each time I'd react, but 2 seconds later, I'd forget I even had legs attached to me! Haha.

If you really wanna get your confidence built up (and if its avaliable), try to go to a windtunnel. It takes the stress out of the jump and allows you to focus on your form. After my Lvl 1 jump, I did 11 minutes and felt much more confident the next jump...I didn't get any signals of Lvl 2!

I know very few people who remember any significant portion of their first freefall - it took me about 5 skydives to really be able to recall the entire jump.

Haha, agreed!

Thanks guys, hearing these sorts of things helps. Of course getting back up on the horse soon will help even more, I'm sure. :)

I'd forget I even had legs attached to me!

Hehe, yeah, that's how I was. I just wasn't thinking about them at all until the freefall was nearly over, and an alarm went off in my head: "LEGS!" I had no idea what they had been doing until I saw the video, though. I looked like Lance Armstrong, cycling away in some mid air Tour De France. :S

I am still having a hard time keeping my legs in the correct position (don't get any ideas about that comment guys)....I am hoping this weekend will be better.:P
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I am still having a hard time keeping my legs in the correct position (don't get any ideas about that comment guys)....I am hoping this weekend will be better.:P

So how'd it go? ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Better....but I had this really great instructor who shot video of me. I still have lots and lots and lots to work on. You rock!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

First of all, while most of my mind was thrilled at what was going on, there was a small part that was less than sure. And at times it seemed like the experience was so overwhelming my mind would 'disconnect' from what was going on. I was able to regain focus towards the end of the freefall, but this bothers me. I expected to feel some fear, and even perhaps not like some of the stuff I was experiencing, but the numb/disconnected feeling was a surprise. :S

I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that this kind of thing isn't too unusual for newbies and can be overcome.

Yep, sensory overload. Sounds completely normal to me, at least I could relate entirely. I've only done 1 tandem and 4 AFF jumps thus far, and I feel my mental awareness during the skydive is starting to come together. My biggest problem is with my legs as upon exit there;s alot of kicking as if I was jumping off the high dive when I was young, with my height Im also having a bit of difficulty going from crouch position to ARCH, but getting there. AT least on my last jump the JMs and I didn't flip over.

From what I hear it takes about 4-10 jumps to get over the whole overload depending on the person. This is your call but why not try an AFF level 1 course as the next jump? Going through the ground training will teach you a bit more about body position and whatnot. Whatever you do though have fun :) and welcome to skydiving.

Blue Skies

My biggest problem is with my legs as upon exit there;s alot of kicking as if I was jumping off the high dive when I was young,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad to know the leg kicking isn't uncommon.

I'm jumping again this weekend (I hope, the weather is looking iffy) and doing another tandem. I've been reading and practicing body position a lot - of course I did that before the first jump too but now I know my problem areas so hopefully I'll keep them in mind during the jump.

Congrats on your AFF progress!

Blue skies!