Flying-Wench

Gday.. fresh fish!

Hey to all from Australia.. another newbie to add to the collection!

I did my first Tandem Feb 06 and LOVED it! To be able to fly man... awesome stuff and very addictive! Managed to get details of my tandem master and persecuted him with lots of questions! I then decided i wanted to take it further.. so booked in a second tandem (just to be sure) and had an absolute ball!

I then booked AFF and started training first week of May (first jump was was rained out-arggg!). The next weekend however managed to get in Stage 1 AFF! Woo hoo! Wow what an experience, ill never forget it and im so keen to do my next jump! The freefall was amazing.. and being in control under canopy.. ive never felt so free in all my life!

Stage 2 was planned for the next day, but alas too much low cloud! Heading to the DZ this weekend, hoping the weather will be nice to me, and totally looking forward to it!

So just saying hello.. and compliments on this website. Ive been doing a HUGE amount of reading since i booked in my AFF, lots of goodies here (even the fatality files are somewhat interesting = learning from others mistakes).

Have read a few posts about the "student waiting". Whilst a little frustrating, i find that the time spent at the DZ is hugely rewarding even when grounded due to conditions not suitable for students.

Not being shy *grins* i have been spending entire weekends at the DZ, getting to know people (and getting known myself) and after only a few weekends, am pretty much furniture lol.

Its a great time to ask the perceived "silly" questions, watch lots of chute packing, watch other training going on, watch videos of others jumps, read literature etc etc. And talk talk talk to people. I give huge credit to the regulars at Nagambie, they have made me feel at home and have been happy to answer all my questions and are always up for a chat (and a beer *grins*). I received so much encouragement before my AFF 1.. and alot of congrats afterwards! It made the experience all the more enjoyable..

I also highly recommend (depending on wether your DZ allows or not), going for a ride in the if as a student you cant jump. It was hugely interesting to watch all of the exits (without the pressure of focusing on what you will soon be doing), and experiencing the plane coming down after the last jumper has exited.. wow man! The Gs!!!! Also gives an appreciation of the pilots job (cheers Terry!).

Anyhoo best leave it there.. keep up the good work dropzone.com!

Cheers

Hey Chrissie!

Im down in Victoria.. home DZ is in Nagambie.. near Shepparton!

*grins* if your a rookie.. with 27 jumps.. what does that make me with 3 and 2 of those tandem? lol

Good luck with your B Rels! I cant wait till i am at that stage.. lol lets hope the weathe ris good to me this weekend.. so i can get AFF stage 2 and 3 behind my belt..

cheers!

G'day FW

Nagambie! another cool DZ in VIC
(I reckon there are 3 icons in each east coast state - it's Nagambie in VIC, Picton in NSW, and Ramblers in QLD, but that's just me opinion)

Well, you'll get there in no time.... I only felt like I'd never finish F course not long ago... now I am in B-rel, but slowly, coz I am doing loads of fun jumps...

Nagambie -- I will jump there hopefully sooner than later! I may go to VIC for MotoGP this September, and will definitely drop in!!!

keep jumping ... Chrissie
where women roar and men thunder

G'day FW

Nagambie! another cool DZ in VIC
(I reckon there are 3 icons in each east coast state - it's Nagambie in VIC, Picton in NSW, and Ramblers in QLD, but that's just me opinion)

Well, you'll get there in no time.... I only felt like I'd never finish F course not long ago... now I am in B-rel, but slowly, coz I am doing loads of fun jumps...

Nagambie -- I will jump there hopefully sooner than later! I may go to VIC for MotoGP this September, and will definitely drop in!!!

hey that would be awesome! you can come watch me land on my a*ss... lol

Hey there Flying-Wench, and welcome!

Have to ask the Aussies that are reading here. . . does anyone know a guy at Nagambie named Ossie Khan? His girlfriend (at the time) was Cat, who was on a four way team. He was a black cameraman/freeflyer, with a smile like Tiger Woods. I stayed with them a couple of times on the outskirts of Melbourne. Lost touch.

Dances
Muff Brother #2169

"You can take the girl out of the sky, but not the sky out of the girl!"

Hey Dances!

Cheers for the welcome..

I havent met anyone up there named Ossie in the few weeks i been around.. you could try emailing Don and Lou at Nagambie, email is on their site www.skydivenagambie.com and ask them.

An update on my AFF.. completed stage 2 and 3 on the weekend.. both jumps on saturday, no jumps on sunday due to cloud and a hangover :S

Did ok on the jumps, was my first time jumping out of a Cessna.. (strut exit) fluffed the exit on the first one - hotel checks, up down and promptly forgot to let go, my JMs dragged me off the wing much to their amusement! Rattled by the bad exit, i wasnt very height aware and ended up dumping at 3500 (instead of 4000).. but landing was great (under TA), on my feet this time! B|

Second jump was better, exit was perfect, was height aware.. just spewing i didnt get to do any turns. Ran out of time, only 35 seconds of freefall as we exit at 10000 out of the Cessna. Landing was interesting, the wind had picked up and i flared a little early, stopped in mid air still 3 feet off the ground! Hit the deck, on my a*ss.. on my face.. again on my a*ss.. then the wind grabbed the chute before i had time to pull in the toggle and i had a second canopy ride, horizontally this time! B| No serious injuries, just bruising, got my suit and rig very dirty.. and provided the DZ entertainment for the day!

Self medicated myself saturday night with a few beers.. today feeling happy but like i have been hit by a truck lol Stage 4 and 5 next weekend, and packing lessons! its all happening!

Have a stunning day people.
FW

Congrats on levels 2 and 3! I think the Cessna exit deserves :D ?! Glad you only got bumps and bruises and a bit dirty. I've had my share of face plants! (and ass plants)

Blue Skies,

°
Dances
Muff Brother #2169

"You can take the girl out of the sky, but not the sky out of the girl!"

mm keen i definetly am, any good in freefall? Nope not yet lol :D

An update on my AFF course which seems to be providing much amusement at my DZ lol (did post this in bonfire thread, but thought id re-post and toot my own horn) ;)

First chute packing friday night, went very very well, apparently im a natural! More lessons this friday night.. good to get them in early.

Two Stage 4 AFF jumps saturday, failed both times. :$ First jump, I spun clockwise for the entire freefall aside when JM had a hold of me. :D. In the end he had to hold my foot so i could dump lol. We were both still laughing when i touched down, what a ride, a little frightening but how embarassing!

Second jump, i was flat, stable and maintained hover and heading control for 30 seconds woo hoooo!!! i flew baby! But, looking at my alti fixed that, i spun clockwise for the rest of the dive. I was spinning prety fast too.. and started to freak out. I arched hard and slowed down enough to dump, but had pilot chute hesitation, a really hard opening (im so sore) and terrible line twists!

What a learning curve! Did a perfect landing tho, but copped a ribbing from everyone about my turns lol :$ :D

I self medicated my pains on saturday night (beer!), too hungover to jump sunday, but went for a ride in the XL anyway, kept the pilot company and in turn he did some groovy manouvres and had me bouncing around in the seat, stuck to the ceiling and yahooing the whole way down lol

i must be the only skydiver who doesnt mind landing in the plane!

Needless to say, im doing Stage 4 again next weekend, they are even putting training wheels back on (back to two JMs) just until i can control my spins.. argg! :$ mortifying, but a good learning weekend. :)
My packing is good, my exits are great, my landings are perfect (unassisted now), just the bit in the middle i need to work on! :D :D :D

Hey don't worry, I had to redo stage 4, and stage 7 twice! You'll get there, keep jumping :)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Hey don't worry, I had to redo stage 4, and stage 7 twice! You'll get there, keep jumping :)

*grins* thanks! i hope so.. else ill go broke trying :D

I figure i have 2 shots to do at stage 4.. first time with 2 JMs to teach me to stop the turns.. then another with one JM to actually pass the Stage.. i dont think they will advance me to Stage 5 if i have 2 JMs lol

Hey FW, welcome to the sport! I've haven't ventured to Nagambie yet, but know lots of the regulars there from around the place - you'll learn so much from those guys so stick around! I jump in Picton, Sydney (which also has heaps of awesome skydivers!).

Good luck with the rest of your AFF (don't worry about repeating levels, I had to repeat Stage 7 and heaps of people have to repeat a stage at some point!).

Chrissey, I saw you over on the skysurfer forums (www.skysurfer.com.au for those that haven't been there yet)! Welcome again - I still haven't got around to meeting you!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

cheers thanks Nael.. yes i love it at nagambie, the people, the atmosphere.. ill be sticking around!

I still havent got around to my 3rd attempt at stage 4, weather.. lack of instructors, hopefully this weekend! and hopefully itll be the last stage i have to repeat!!

Cheers

WOO HOO HOO!!! STAGES 4-6 COMPLETE AND MY FIRST RESERVE RIDE!

Just an update...

Back from 2 days ABC camp at Nagambie, and im stoked, i finally passed AFF Stage 4! Id failed Stage 4 twice a month ago due to flat spins, and was nervous as hell. 2 attempts (one with 2 JMs, then with 1) and i passed, no more spinning for me! I then tackled stages 5 and 6 and passed both. My first unlinked exit was pretty funky, like a frog in a washing machine, looks hilarious on video!

Also had my first reserve ride (yes i paid up a case), but no mal. I thought id had a hard pull, gave 2 tugs on the ripcord, no go so pulled my reserve. When i got down to the ground, JM tells me that i was yanking on the Bendex cable, not the ripcord. Im not EVER going to live that one down, everyone has been giving me heaps and LOOK reach, grip has become my catchcry! But at least i didnt panic, and got a chute over my head. Apologies to Don, this particular reserve had only been re-packed 10 days ago oops.

Many thanks to JMs, especially Mark Gazley, thanks man - being more relaxed in freefall worked well!

Stage 7,8,9 in 2 weeks time!

congrats on your adventures and accomplishments!;). Sounds like you handled things well.....looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!