D-Wal

Which Way to go

Hey all,
I'm 22 and I want to get my "A" license. I became interested when 2 of my cousins did a tandem and loved it. I watched their video and saw some freeflying clips and skysurfing clips on the net and started drooling. I haven't jumped yet, but I needed to know which way to go with it. I have a good DZ near me (been researching for a while), and want to go AFF. BUT, I'm going to Hawaii at the end of April and I was thinking about jumping there too. They have a tandem progression into their AFF.
Should an AFF program be done at one DZ? Can it be done at multiple sites? Should I wait and do a tandem in Hawaii, then go AFF at my home DZ(hopefully)?
Thanks for the site. My uncle did some diving before the Ram-air canopies and messed up his hip. Needless to say, the info on the updated equipment has helped me to give a little less weight to his opinion(though still valid, you are jumping out of a plane!). Hope to dive with some of you guys in the future.

Personally, I enjoyed doing all of my AFF at one site because all the instructors watched me along the way and were able to help me out more so on different levels because they knew and saw my progress from level 1. Once you complete your AFF, you are still on student status until you have 25 skydives and completed your profiency card for your A license. I will continue to jump at my home DZ until I reach my A license because I still am a student and my instructors know my progress and can help me work on things that I need to get done...

So to answer your question, I would do your AFF at the DZ you plan to be your home DZ. You could knock out your AFF before you go to Hawaii too..

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Welcome to the forums! :)
I really don't think that it matters where you do your first tandem, but I do think that it is better to do your AFF at one dropzone in most cases. The only reason I think someone should switch dropzones is if there are safety issues they are concerned about or maybe personality issues with the instructors. I think it's just better that the same instructors can watch your progression and compare your levels to make you understand things better.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon