Sick_Of_It_All

Howdy, new to the forums and the sport.

Hey everyone! I plan on being a regular forum member from here on out so figured I would start by introducing myself. My name is Joel and I live in Orlando, FL. I've made 2 tandems (should have made one and saved the money towards AFF) and I am addicted to skydiving like a bum is addicted to change. All I dream, read, think, watch, and learn about is skydiving (and a little BASE jumping), nothing I can do to make it go away. It's better than any thing and any drug I've ever done, and dare I say better than sex? We'll call it a drawl. So, today I started a second job, I am now working 7 days and 70 hours a week so I can pay for AFF and start working towards my A license and saving for gear. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it's my dream to make skydiving my life & career. Little steps first, but I'm up and walking. Anyway, I hope to have help, support, and maybe make some friends on the forum. Peace out!

Welcome to the forum JC. I would also like to welcome you to the wonderful world of addiction. The family has tried several interventions..., it never works. I have been the same way since May 11 1991. The world of skydiving just keeps getting better. If you can make it through the first 50g or so in expenses you can start making enough to eat. Sleeping in the tent at the DZ is OK after a while to. Eventually it all settles out and you realize there will never be anything else and your happy.

Just kidding...,sortof. Glad to have ya joel
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Thanks for the Welcome!

I went to Florida Skydiving Center (Lake Wales), before and after the hurricanes. I really enjoyed that place, very friendly and helpful people. I'm still shopping around for a place to take my AFF. Would go to the same place but it's a bit of a drive for me. Considering Skydive Space Center, everything I've read sounds good and they are the closest DZ to my house.

Honestly there are a lot of things I'm sick of.. but we won't get into my political and social views here.. Actually Sick Of It All is an excellent NYC Hardcore band. One of the first bands that got me into the Punk/Hardcore scene, along with the Misfits (77-83 the Danzig years only, Graves is a joke).

Nah, I don't think you're kidding L.O. I've been pondering selling my truck to buy the cheapest running car I can find. I've also sold some stuff I don't use that much to add some money to the skydiving fund. I am in the process of selling my favorite toy, an 87 Mazda RX-7 to also help out the fund. I'll be sleeping in my truck at a DZ soon enough and living off ramen noodles.

Yeah I think I do... My family and girlfriend are worried. I've pretty much been an unguided slacker my whole life. They've never seen me so motivated and determined to do something, EVER! I'm planning on shipping out to Coast Guard boot camp early next year (long waiting list). I've done nothing but work and party since I got out of high school 6 years ago. Nothing excited me, didn't have any desire to go to college to get training for some job I didn't want to do. So I figured I better get serious and do something and be responsible, yada yada yada.... and all that junk. Well now that I found skydiving I'm working as hard as I can to make it happen before I go so maybe I won't have to. I'd have to get permission to skydive from the Coast Guard, that doesn't sit to well with me.

That's cool that skydiving is making you motivated to get your act together. There's a boogie up in Deland next weekend. You should come up and hang out. It'll be a fun weekend and you'll get to meet a lot of the locals from Central FL.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Would love to, and thank you for the invite. Unfortunately I am tied up working saturday and sunday from 12pm-5pm for awhile. At least until I get enough money to start AFF. Although I might be able to come out before work. I'll see what I can do, I would really enjoy that, I'll let you know if I decide to show up. Sent you a PM also.

If you're like the rest of us you'll get used to spending all your money on skydiving and doing without luxuries to pay for it all. They say you can tell what year someone began skydiving because that's what year his car is..:S

Custom T-Shirts and Pullup cords

I just wanted to say that I agree, skydiving is better than any drug, and yes, I will say it sex, and that is pretty bomb!!! You will find ways to make it through. I am a student myself and for work in a high demanding job so for me to go skydiving off season here is new york is tough(not money wise-just too much work)! I myself would like to make a career since i am interested in going to flyboyz school and eventually compete in the x games. I might come out to florida and jump one of these days that I get out of the office. Keep in touch. Good luck and anything is possible.
PEACE

"From Wings Came Flight"