waveoff5500

1.1:1 wing loading for a novice

1.05:1 is a dangerous wingloading for a licensed skydiver

Let me make another point, which is that what others are suggesting is to wait and see what seems appropriate after we establish a frame of reference with regards to the OPs skills. You are making a blanket reccomendation that he should jump a 170, and belittling others, but the others haven't suggested one way or the other. Who knows, maybe after a 10 jumps we'll see that the OP is a heads up guys who seems to 'get it' and the 170 will be the clear choice.

As an example, I have a friend who is coordinated, althetic, and smart. He's an ace on a skateboard, can walk on his hands all day long, and is a hugely successful attorney. However, you put him on a motorcycle or behind the wheel of a high-performacne car, and I would advise that you stay far, far away. he loves cars and bikes, and knows all the specs and models, but there's something about putting him at the helm of either sort of vehicle, and he's just doesn't 'have it'. He's had bikes, and fallen off all of them. He has fast cars, but doesn't drive them fast at all.

The point is, you never know who is going to do what until you see them perform. This is why all students jump a canopy 10 sizes too big for them. Some students would be fine at 1 to 1 on their first jump, but again, you never know who that is.

A pieice of advice about giving advice about skydiving, always lean towards the more conservative choice. You never know who you're advising, or what they intend to do with your advice, and they might end up dead because of it. Err on the side of caution, and even then, end most sentences with '...I don't know what you should do, that's your call'.

And you know whats going to happen? This kids going to end up going to his DZ, and everyone is going to LAUGH when he tells them that he heard on DZ.com that 1.05:1 is a dangerous wingloading for a licensed skydiver! ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. But whatever, I'll quit beating a dead horse. Flame on.

He's got 4 jumps and it appears some common sense, I sincerely doubt anyone will be laughing at HIM. :D:D

Didn’t you read what he said? The original poster could get laughed at.
Are you ready for that kind of responsibility?

And you know whats going to happen? This kids going to end up going to his DZ, and everyone is going to LAUGH when he tells them that he heard on DZ.com that 1.05:1 is a dangerous wingloading for a licensed skydiver! ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. But whatever, I'll quit beating a dead horse. Flame on.

Right here we have a shinning example of why skydivers continue to kill each other under canopy. This isn't about 1.1 1.05 or .95 or whatever wingloading, it's about the attitude towards canopy flight and learning in this sport.

That mentality is what needs to change if we are going to see an improvement. It's our job to ensure that the young punks, and I speak toward no one in particular, that get into this sport get sorted out and pointed in the right direction.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

(A greenie should say that instead. ... I don't appreciate the language used on a fellow jump buddy, labrys)

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate that you have my back.

Looking forward to seeing you at Crosskeys again.
Owned by Remi #?

and here i was thinking, with all the culture and refinement of the Americans, you could put a Yankee under a 2.8 WL right from the start! :P

No, but it IS SOP for us to put Swiss under 3.0 or better when they wander over...still, they never seem to leave! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

and here i was thinking, with all the culture and refinement of the Americans, you could put a Yankee under a 2.8 WL right from the start! :P

No, but it IS SOP for us to put Swiss under 3.0 or better when they wander over...still, they never seem to leave! :P

dude, we're called the "brazilians of europe"; do you wonder!? :D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda