riggerrob

Briefing a young jump-pilot?

The chief pilot - at the local DZ - called to ask me to repack a damp pilot emergency parachute. He also suggested that I allow the youngest pilot to pull the PEP's ripcord.
We spent a couple hours reviewing jump-plane emergencies. She sat in the Cessna pilot seat, practicing emergency bail-outs. She pulled the ripcord during the last drill and we hung the parachute up to dry.

What emergency scenarios do you brief your jump-pilots on?
For example: you tell them why they have hook-knives?

Staying within gliding distance at all times of DZ if possible. hook knife or zero G maneuvers for hang ups. pilot needs to communicate on emergencies on stay or jump decisions.. avoid the impossible 180 to runway on low engine out.
dont let life pass you by

Don't rush them. As a former jump pilot and current jumper I understand the urge to get to altitude fast. I hate sitting in the Cessna. That being said, mistakes happen when pilots rush. If they're a decent pilot they will start turning loads quickly within a couple dozen loads after things become second nature. If they have a wet commercial ticket this is a totally new kind of flying for them. Especially on descent, do not rush.

Diverdriver.com was a good resource for me when I started as well. We always brief our pilots on what to do if someone's bag starts to come out on the step. Also, the causes of engine failures (fuel exhaustion). After a while they'll get a spidey sense of when someone bumps the fuel selector in the 182. They need to know when to let jumpers get out of the plane in an emergency and when to keep them in.

riggerrob

This question came up today: "How do you brief them on flying a square parachute?"
I replied: "Tell them to get out, pull the silver handle, then treat red steering handles (toggles) like rudder pedals."

Any other suggestions?

Make them do a couple of jumps.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

riggerrob

This question came up today: "How do you brief them on flying a square parachute?" I replied: "Tell them to get out, pull the silver handle, then treat red steering handles (toggles) like rudder pedals." Any other suggestions?

For my pilot friend who I set up with a very large square reserve, I made the attached graphic file. When you start thinking about it, there are a lot of things to think about when you are teaching a person to jump a ram-air parachute for the first time. My main concern is that they might get only one toggle unstowed, and spiral in.

sinjin

Staying within gliding distance at all times of DZ if possible. hook knife or zero G maneuvers for hang ups. pilot needs to communicate on emergencies on stay or jump decisions.. avoid the impossible 180 to runway on low engine out.

What is this zero G maneuver for hang ups?

To achieve zero gravity, the pilot pushes forward on the control yoke vigorously. The airplane noses down and passengers float around the cabin like astronauts.
Zero G might be helpful if a jumper entangles with the jump step. Relieving gravity might relieve enough tension for them to slide free.