-ftp-

Anyone know who this is? Tell me so I don't jump here....

no billvon i did not see him
i was too target fixated on hittin the pond
dumb as fuck i know, but hey i said i'd answer honestly
theres no way i woulda done the turn otherwise
that woulda just been suicidal and homicidal at once.

I am willing to bet that most if not all of the swoopers who have had close calls like yours or actual canopy collisions would have similar answers. If they had spotted the traffic then they wouldn't have made the turn. It goes to show that it's more difficult to clear your airspace before executing a high performance turn then most people think.

You and the guy in the pink canopy got lucky. The two guys in Perris were not so lucky.

It seems that the only way to really be certain of clear airspace is to do hop n pops and be the only person in the air or have coordinated landing pattern with others also doing hop n pops.

there's nothing wrong with what i see here; mostly blue canopy, blue jumpsuit, blue harness webbing.. that's a CHECK for color-coordination!

it's all good.. :P

:D:D:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

when i first watched the video i was going to make acritical coment along the lines of lower canopy having right of way and probably being very low experience etc etc. having now read all your posts, hats off to you! you,ve explained the situation, and admitted some fault. brave andhonest, i respect you. (still scarey shit though!)

wow, the other one also didnt make it!? :S

BSBD

Last posts seem to indicate he's still in critical condition. Critical condition lucky.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

wow, the other one also didnt make it!? :S

BSBD

Last posts seem to indicate he's still in critical condition. Critical condition lucky.

i hate those terms, WTF does critical mean!? we're pretty sure he's gonna die, be a vegetable for the remainder of his life or he'll get through it but may be paralyzed? he'll be fine if he makes the other night? WHAT? :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Means you'll have to talk to someone who has the details to know the details.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1694/what-does-it-mean-when-a-patient-is-in-critical-or-serious-condition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_condition
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>WTF does critical mean!

Serious facial injuries, drug induced coma, many broken vertebrae.

>we're pretty sure he's gonna die, be a vegetable for the remainder of his life or
> he'll get through it but may be paralyzed?

I don't think even his doctors are sure about the outcome yet. But I don't think "lucky" would be a good way to describe his condition.

Even for a novice skydiver like me all actions on the posted video link seams plains stupid because they were not needed to be performed in such unsecure conditions (and take away the merit of having such advanced skill) and end up turning into the kind of actions (public posted actions) that drive people who watches to say skydiving is for crazy people with suicidal tendencies and push public interest away.

Apparently for some parcel of people the risky nature and small window of tolerance characteristic of skydiving as a sport is not enough, thus they have to turn it into a russian roulette that balances suicide attemps vs involuntary murder like situations.

..of course we are seeing actions from experienced jumpers here, what puzzles me is that these might be the same kind of skydivers that often condemn or demand explanations like "how many jumps you have? you'll only exit this amount of time after me, etc.." from a novice when enter a plane, i'm not picking into a particular person, but it seams that dropping the responsability on the students do not explain situations and degree of responsability like the ones being discussed in this thread.

I'm fairly young at this amazing sport, but very well set on to respect the learned aspects of security thanks to my instructors. I constantly lookup to senior skydivers to learn from them, but the fact is:

the seniority those guys might have does not substitute intelligence/brains and does not allow for bypassing safety rules defined by the procedures that costed the life of many good and respectful jumpers to be learned along the years.

I bet they know that.
I bet and HOPE they learn from the unnecesary close calls on the video.

I hope that by posting the video the author is attempting regain respect for himself and others promoting a more secure mentality if so I support and congratulate your change of attitude before someone gets hurt.

I think that high performance skydiving atletes should behave more like Formula 1 drivers than to inconsequent clandestine/illicit street racing participants.

Blue skies.

as a new jumper i see myself opening high so i can avoid people like that and focus on learning how to do a good landing pattern every time. that is until i downsize to a sub-100 canopy then its all out the door ;) jk jk
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

This video was not a "look at what I got away with" but more a look at what happens when you don't keep your head on a swivel.

You probably would have copped less shit on both youtube and here if you had included a comment to that effect in the description of the video. It is easy, especially for the uneducated, to look at something like this and assume certain things about the motivations of the owner of the video.

This video was not a "look at what I got away with" but more a look at what happens when you don't keep your head on a swivel.

You probably would have copped less shit on both youtube and here if you had included a comment to that effect in the description of the video. It is easy, especially for the uneducated, to look at something like this and assume certain things about the motivations of the owner of the video.

i'm really not fussed about how much shit i cop.
they are mostly just keyboard warriors anyway (on you tube) i'm a big boy, pretty sure i can handle it :)
at least on here (for the most part) they have something productive to say.

i'm really not fussed about how much shit i cop.
they are mostly just keyboard warriors anyway (on you tube) i'm a big boy, pretty sure i can handle it :)
at least on here (for the most part) they have something productive to say.

Not me..fuck you wogboy, I got 7 hours tunnel time bookedB|B|B| sell shit and come with me:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?