-ftp-

Anyone know who this is? Tell me so I don't jump here....

Ok everyone before you start throwing shit at me and saying I should fuck off and take up golf....
The "cavalier attitude" as someone ever so aptly coined it has now changed BIG TIME.
This video was not a "look at what I got away with" but more a look at what happens when you don't keep your head on a swivel.
Attitudes change dramatically when you have mates go in and have close calls like that.
I used to be gun ho, now it's changed so much that people take the piss when I check others on safety issues.
What you can't see in the second incident is the blue canopy spiral down from above me and we got to the ground at the same time. That one was bad luck. I landed in the same direction we had been landing all day and the conditions were the same. So he landed in the wrong direction.
Ask me anything you like, when I get the chance I'll answer. Honestly too.
But if you wanna just throw insults at me don't bother.
The way I see it a lot of newbies can learn from my idiocy

I believe he made a comment on youtube from him saying, "No blood no foul."

That doesn't support the claim that he's learned from his close-calls. I'd like to think that he had a change of heart later, and that those that know him are correct in that reporting.

Why would we lie?

I don't think you would, but he might. The comment of no blood no foul can support a cynical conclusion that he might be saying what others want to hear without really taking it to heart. Hopefully that is not true and he did recognize the error of his ways (and won't repeat them).

It's not what he is saying that i am using as reference it's what he is DOING. Like i said i know him personally and he has leaned a great deal from those jumps.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Welcome to DZ.com!

This is a hell of a way to get started on the forums, eh?

There is nothing like hearing from someone personally, thanks.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

i always have made a somewhat interesting entrance

thanks for the warm welcome :)
yeah as people get to know me regardless of how 'reckless' they may think i am, i always win em over with my charm ;)
i never shy away from a bit of conflict or heated conversation. and am MORE than happy to stir the pot a bit for entertainment. that's another reason i put the video up and will gladly own up to it being me.

to the person who asked about my how i did my ankles thats one thing i cant comment on in an open forum such as this as its still under investigation.

the comment about "no blood no foul" was very tongue in cheek, anyone who gets to know me will let ya know thats very much me.
if i feel someone is being a little aggressive in a response i often find myself teasing a little more out of them instead of retaliating.

yeah i've been a complete dick at times but i always know when i'm in the wrong and try my best to pull my head in (doesnt always work) but atleast now i only really get in trouble for shit i do on the ground and not in the air.

it isnt so much that the guy on the pink canopy was acting stupidly, more that he freaked out.
he has very few jumps, the last thing i told him before we left the aircraft was to stay away from the pond as three of us (out of five) were swooping the pond.
he was just scared to land off, which wouldnt really have been bad as we have sooooooooo many outs there.
when i asked why he went over the pond he said it was coz he wouldnt make it back to his landing area.

it scared the shit out of us both really really badly.
i grounded myself for the rest of the day.

we both got full on target fixation.
i was looking at my set up and the pond he was aiming at the student area.
we were both unbelievably lucky to walk away from that.
"a little reflection time" is a massive understatement

but hey.....
no blood no foul right;)

we both got full on target fixation.
i was looking at my set up and the pond he was aiming at the student area.
we were both unbelievably lucky to walk away from that.

Am I the only one here who thinks 'exit order issue' in that pink canopy incident? Student gets to pond faster than swooper...

Am I the only one here who thinks 'exit order issue' in that pink canopy incident? Student gets to pond faster than swooper...

That's happened to me a few times. I exit last, pull much higher than the students and a few times the students are about to land as I reach the swoop area.

Ok everyone before you start throwing shit at me and saying I should fuck off and take up golf....
The "cavalier attitude" as someone ever so aptly coined it has now changed BIG TIME.
This video was not a "look at what I got away with" but more a look at what happens when you don't keep your head on a swivel.
Attitudes change dramatically when you have mates go in and have close calls like that.
I used to be gun ho, now it's changed so much that people take the piss when I check others on safety issues.
What you can't see in the second incident is the blue canopy spiral down from above me and we got to the ground at the same time. That one was bad luck. I landed in the same direction we had been landing all day and the conditions were the same. So he landed in the wrong direction.
Ask me anything you like, when I get the chance I'll answer. Honestly too.
But if you wanna just throw insults at me don't bother.
The way I see it a lot of newbies can learn from my idiocy

+1

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

he has very few jumps, the last thing i told him before we left the aircraft was to stay away from the pond as three of us (out of five) were swooping the pond.
he was just scared to land off

Do you still think this is fair? You said you have changed, do you think it is his fault or yours for not clearing your airspace? Im just curious if because you and 2 buddies are going to be swooping that that means "stay away from the pond?"

Do you think he should have to land off to make way for you to swoop? Seems a litte selfish to me, just saying.

if you knew the dropzone you'd realise that he wouldnt have been landing off really. he just wouldnt have been landing in the area he wanted to.
we have a huge amount of area to land in. with a strip for experienced, a huge circle for beginners
an even bigger area for the students, the pond, and then a whole mother load of land surrounding that.
i'm not real sure as to what your asking if i think it was fair
if you mean for me to ask him to stay away from the pond? definitely, it is super easy to avoid.
or do you mean is it fair for me to ask him to land off?
well he wouldnt really have been landing off. so in that regards i think its vital for a newbie to learn that its ok not to land in the area they are nominated.
there are two reasons its my fault i have more experience and should have known better. and i was the high man.
BUT ...... yes there is a but.
i do think its important for students AND people on large slow canopies to stay away from areas where people are doing high performance landings.
four weeks ago i witnessed a younger jumper (jump numbers wise) fly thru the same air that a 5 way team all doing high performance landings had just whizzed thru.
his canopy shut down at about 80 foot and spiraled in to the dirt because of all the turbulent air and he spent a few weeks in hospital, and still is having trouble with his right arm.
so maybe yeah it is fair of me to ask him not to fly over the pond after me and my 2 buddies have swooped it.

what do you think? (not being a smart arse, really wanna know)

Of course it's important, and it's certainly okay to ask. But I also think we as the more experienced folks have to be aware of the possibility that people of any experience level (but especially newer jumpers) are going to make mistakes and we need to maintain awareness of people who are where they "shouldn't" be.

You may be "right" but do you really want to be dead right? Land safe and have a discussion about the mistake and why it put the jumper (and others) at risk. Bring in a neutral third party if you need to (don't know if you have the equivalent of a USPA S&TA in Oz, but someone who has "authority" for safety would be a good choice).

Don't make your point by continuing your swoop just because you're pissed off that someone didn't do what they were "supposed" to do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Do you still think this is fair? You said you have changed, do you think it is his fault or yours for not clearing your airspace? Im just curious if because you and 2 buddies are going to be swooping that that means "stay away from the pond?"

Do you think he should have to land off to make way for you to swoop? Seems a litte selfish to me, just saying.

From where I sit it sounds like that had a plan BEFORE boarding the aircraft which is generaly a GOOD idea:S

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Yes and No.

If you're going to establish areas of high performance landings, then those not doing them need to stay away from them. That vertical space is a no-go. Fly around it for your own safety. These areas are no-fly zones, just as HP landings in standard landing areas are no fly zones.

Separation of landing areas works both ways, if it's to work at all.

That said, if there's traffic in the HP area (that you know about) then you don't get to go.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

[reply

From where I sit it sounds like that had a plan BEFORE boarding the aircraft which is generaly a GOOD idea:S

Im all about making plans and sticking to them, I agree with you 100%, however.

1. Im not sure of the exit order of this incident, but I'd be very interested to know how the "newbie" on a low loaded canopy made it down faster than the highly loaded "experienced" jumper given they had a plan that obviously went to shit? Pull height? I don't know...

2. When the plan does go to shit, abort it. Don't tell me the high guy didn't see the pink canopy. Did the pink canopy make a mistake? Sure we can argue that. That doesn't mean, screw it im still going to bust out my 270-360.

Don't tell me the high guy didn't see the pink canopy.

The whole crux of the argument for needing to seperate 270+ turns from main landing areas is that "the high guy" (who has been responding to this thread if you hadn't noticed) probably didn't see the pink canopy.

It's important to note that how the jump run is set up at a particular dropzone should be taken into account when selecting the high performance area (or vice-versa.) If people are constantly using the high performance area as an "out" or flying over it from a short/long spot then it won't achieve its intended purpose. For true emergencies it may help to have a designated "out" located on the side of the high performance area opposite the main landing area, so that people can opt to land there instead of wandering through the no-fly zone.

There's no excuse for doing a 270 into a main landing area where they are banned, but some people who fly "standard" patterns will always find an excuse for why they had to fly over the swoop pond at 400 ft unless you preempt their excuses.

I see senior instructor staff, at DZ's that have specific swoop only on hop n pop low pass rules, repeatedly swoop on full altitude instructional jumps. AFF, video, coach jumps.
:S
You have to be cool to be an instructor at some DZ's.
Then put the swoop pond smack dab in the middle of the DZ where it becomes a landing issue for a lot of jumpers.
You have to show off where people can see you!
[:/]

there was 4 of us on the jump doing a flat jump he was the least experienced by far
he kinda burned low nothin to bad, but i also pitched a little high