samyueru

Ok, first rig questions.....

I know people must be tired of stupid first rig questions..but I've come to rely on you guys. :D

First off - I'm debating financing a full rig from mirage - they offer 1 year with no payments/interest and 10% off the cost. After that year, it's 1.5% monthly periodic rate/18% APR. Does that sound good? (i know there's a previous post on financing mirage, read it, still asking) I know people have mixed opinions on buying used gear vs. new gear. I'm still debating it myself. I like the comfort in knowing everything that happened to your gear throughout it's life, and everything about it's maintenence, etc, plus I like the ability to get what _I_ want. The downside, obviously, is this horrible cost I can't afford! B|

Second..for someone who weighs only 135lbs, is getting a 150 spectre cutting it a little too close to poor wingloading? I know it's largely an issue of my ability, and not such a cut and dry question to answer over the internet. In Australia, where I did AFF, my instructor said a 150 would be fine. But here in the U.S., the atmosphere is much more on the conservative side. (although, since I have no coaches, no one is really watching me closely). I'm going to jump some 170's this summer so I can get the feeling, but I was hoping to get some people's view on that wingloading in general.

Thanks for any input you guys can give me. I'm really excited about getting my own gear!

-Alex

I would buy used gear... actually, I did. No regrets. Paid for everything cash, don't owe a dime. Buying a new rig is costly and something that I will consider when I get to a w/l that I will be on for a while (and, by a while, I mean like 500 jumps a while).

OTOH, if you're already buying a 150, it might not be too terrible since you should be able to downsize a couple sizes in that and you'll probably be covered for sometime. But, I can't make the call as to if a 150 is a good thing for you, and I doubt anyone here can really make that call for you, either. Check with those who have seen you fly.

Used gear is out there, and cheaper... so if you don't mind looking around a bit, it might suit your needs. Rereading this, I offered no real advice, just a bunch of random thoughts... oh, well... I tried:S

Angela.

As for a first rig...well, I along with a lot of other people would highly suggest getting a used rig to start. Why? Well, for one, I promise you won't stand every landing up. I won't "hurt" as bad biffing in a used rig as opposed to a brand new shiney rig.:P

Secondly, at this point in your skydiving career, you'll be "growing" quite fast. Before you know it you might be thinking about another canopy, possibly a smaller one, one that may not fit in the new rig you just bought a year or so earlier.

Nevermind that there are quite a few good used rigs on the market that are good deals.

If you talk to your local rigger(s) and instructor(s) they'll help you find what you need.

Now, canopy size.

We on the internet can not tell you what canopy would be right for a first canopy. We can make some suggestions, such as recommending to stay at a 1:1 wingloading or possibly a little lower even, but beyond that we don't know how well you perform under canopy, etc. The best people to ask that question to would be your instructors and your S&TA. They will be more then happy to help you find what you need. I'm willing to bet they will even help you get some demo canopies in to try a few different designs out to see what you like the best (which I highly recommend)!

Feel free to check out the Gear section of Dropzone.com, you'll find a lot of gear reviews that will help you make some final decisions, after talking to your riggers, instructors and S&TA.

Good luck! B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

and remember, if you are thinking about putting a 150 in there, don't order it until you have at least jumped a 150 a few times...
otherwise if you haven't even jumped a 170 like you said, how will you know you can handle a 170 or even a 150?

and remember, you don't have to always buy a financed rig from the manufacturer... one of my friends got a loan from a bank to buy his new gear. check out their terms too.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Thanks for all the good info!

The thing about new gear that's really luring me is the 0 payments/0 interest for a year so I can have some time to pay it off before paying interest (that loans usually don't offer). I can't really afford to pay $2500 for used gear right now, but in a year I could definately pay $5,000)

It seems like a huge thing about buying new gear at this time in the sport is how fast I'd outgrow my canopy.

Got a few modifiers to this: What if I'm not planning on jumping that much during the year? Maybe a couple of jumps a weekend. Will I still outgrow a canopy really fast?

What about buying a used canopy/new everything else? (since the canopy is the part I'd outgrow)

I know I'm kind of arguing myself towards buying new gear for the allure of getting to pick everything out and customize it. But, at the same time, I _am_ wary about the $$ dent.

Thanks guys!

Got a few modifiers to this: What if I'm not planning on jumping that much during the year? Maybe a couple of jumps a weekend. Will I still outgrow a canopy really fast?

Then you (along with your instructors, etc) might want to think about what wingloading would be safest for you if you're not going to stay super current. By "super current" I mean jumping 10 or more times a week.

As for used canopy/new canopy due to "growth" in the sport, well, a canopy is a canopy (as long as you have your rigger check it out for you, etc), but the probably is the size of canopy that your rig will fit. That's the kicker.

The thing about new gear that's really luring me is the 0 payments/0 interest for a year so I can have some time to pay it off before paying interest (that loans usually don't offer). I can't really afford to pay $2500 for used gear right now, but in a year I could definately pay $5,000)

You might want to read the fine print and figure out what the total cost at the end of the payments will be. You might find that its not worth your time and you may be better off renting/borrowing gear in the mean time. That is a decision you'll have to come up with on your own, though.

Good luck!B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You should be fine with a Spectre 150. Just take a few high hop n pops to fully learn the flare and turn
characteristics.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well, talking from my own experience, i bought a quite new (2years old) used rig at like 50 jumps and kept it for 2 1/2 years and ~250 jumps. By that time i started demoing a new canopy which i ordered (like 40 jumps) later. Because it did not fit into my old Container and i am sure that i will jump this canopy for a loooong time, i decided to get "my own". I was lucky and got almost the same for my old gear (300 bucks or so less) to put that money in my new one.
Having been in the sport a few years helped me a lot to choose which options i wanted on my rig and which not.

In your situation, i would really recommend you to wait with buying gear, rent a couple of 170s and eventually 150s, jump normally (="not less") and find out what you want. While doing thst, save the money to buy your rig, then buy it straight, with no loans etc attached.

A buddy of mine lost quite some money (more than the rental cost for the jump numbers would've been) when he sold the rig he had bought new @ 20ish jumps after like 80-90 jumps. HTH.

I second what was said about internet advice and canopy sizes...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm currently in the market for a new rig and have had a very hard time finding a used rig. Half the used rigs are either extremely old, and seem a little scary to jump or very new and priced so high you might as well spend a few hundred more dollars and get everything new. Given, i am a newbie, but i just cant see myself spending 2,000 + dollars on a rig that is nearly 7 or 8 years old? Anyway, i've been browsing the ads for nearly a month and havent seen anything that i would buy. Some people are asking over 4000 dollars for a used rig? That seems a bit high, am i wrong? I'm getting so frustrated i might just buy everything new and pick up a used cypress, at least when i decide to sell it in the future ill be getting nearly what i paid for it based on the prices of most used gear i have seen. any thoughts?