erasmus

Mysterious Skydiving Illness

I'm new to skydiving. I just graduated AFF two weeks ago. After my 4th jump, I began to experience very peculiar physical/mental symptoms which seem to be related to the skydiving. These symptoms include: Inability to concentrate, restlessness, excitability. I find that I can temporarily alleviate the problem by reading dropzone.com forums, but relief can only be found by making a jump. Has anyone else experienced these odd symptoms? Do they go away with time?

Thanks!

Ha! Erasmus, being also new to skydiving (currently AFF Level 3), I've experienced similar things. I've found that I think about skydiving CONSTANTLY. I also have a graduate degree in psych and I know, from those studies, that these are all symptoms that also accompany addiction. I've heard people talk about skydiving being addictive and for me, I think it is. My guess is that as you get a little further in the sport, you'll find that everything alleviates a little bit. Likely, what you (and I) are experiencing is natural, and simply due to our new participation in such an extreme (and adrenaline producing) thing. Happy landings... lots of them! ;-)

I'm new to skydiving. I just graduated AFF two weeks ago. After my 4th jump, I began to experience very peculiar physical/mental symptoms which seem to be related to the skydiving. These symptoms include: Inability to concentrate, restlessness, excitability. I find that I can temporarily alleviate the problem by reading dropzone.com forums, but relief can only be found by making a jump. Has anyone else experienced these odd symptoms? Do they go away with time?

Thanks!

I've been bit by the bug too....
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the storm. God bless! :)

I'm new to it all and feel the same way! But does anyone else get a little anxious every now and then thinking about it all? I tend to vacillate between being extremely excited to do it again to being a little anxious about getting involved further. I feel crazy, but in a good way!;)

I couldn't agree more about how addictive it is. I've only done 2 jumps and I already spend most of my time thinking about skydiving and trying to figure out ways to save as much money as possible to pay for more jumps soon. I just can't get it off my mind. It's way too wonderful to forget.
And, of course, I now find myself spending hours reading on this forum. :)

Andreea

I did my first 3 AFF jumps, 3 days in a row. Its been a week since I jumped. I also constantly think about sky diving, but i also have mixed fellings. Im still scared to exit the aircraft. I think my mind almost shuts down from the moment i jump from the plane,till im off the bubble, about 5 seconds.I think my mind is overwhelmed with fear.I cant even remember if my eyes were open. When my mind catches back up after fear over load, I find myself relaxed and aware during the freefall. I try not to think about the scared fellings i had the moment i jumped ,but its not possible its already in my mind. I dont know if my experience is normal or odd. Did any one else fell this way after there first few jumps?

Welcome, you will in fact never look at the sky the same way again. Or at least I don't. I hate sunny days and I have to work. Rainy weekends are like the kiss of death. Winter don't even get me started. However, once I get to the DZ I am all better. An addiction yes, and I have suffered a few. This one is exspensive but hasn't landed me in jail yet......

Blue skies enjoy the ride.
"Cloudy Skies look different through skydivers eyes. Is that a hole in the clouds I see?" Let's get driving!

Blue Skies and Sweet Dreams

sounds like ya 'jonesing' Called jump withdrawl it come with the disease. Herion withdrawl is childs play compared to jump withdrawl.Wecome to your addiction. OMG i think i'm starting to need afix too!!!!!!!!!!! BLUE SKIES,Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

:)I'm very happy that I'm not the only one who got the simptoms...
At this point me and My girfriend are almost ending our relantionship as she cannot handle my new passion.
It's a hard choice as we were planning to get married, but I think: if she cannot be supportive on that maybe it's time to re-think everithing...
I've been supportive to some hard decisions she made.
I'll definetely not leave skydiving!

one BIG warning.....dont sit next to a window when doing exams!!!! im resiting a bunch of exams later this month because i suddenly found id been looking at the sky for about 20mins at a time :|:|:S
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

i'm getting it tooo!!! holy shit I jumped not even 12 hours ago and i'm already figuring out how long it would take me to save up for my certification! All i can think of is looking into the camera then pulling the cord and the camera women disappearing hundreds of feet under me.

I guess when the winter comes, i can sooth my adrenaline urges with skiing. :)

I just realize you are completely right!
I have a certification exam in september and all classes are on Sundays.
There is no way to get my attention to something else other than the sky (and skydive) on these days.
If I keep this pace I'm sure I'll fail!!!!

yup, i've got the same "illness." ive been jumping for a full year now and my addiction has only gotten worse. i've had many sleepless nights because of jumping. i just keep going over and over my jumps in my mind of hours. then, when thats done, i think about what im gunna do next weekend and so on and so forth. before i know it, it's 500am, the birds are chirping, and i having slept a wink.