AndreLB3

Student Jumpsuit Question

Going to do my first post-AFF jumps tomorrow and start working towards my "A." Was curious to know if I am allowed to wear just plain clothes when I jump, or if it is mandatory to wear a student jumpsuit until I get my "A" (I'm going to Skydive San Diego).

It might vary by drop zone, but maybe its a uspa reg?

Thanks!

-Andrew

You don't have to wear a jumpsuit, but it's highly recommend you wear one, they come free w/ the rental. Look around the drop zone, how many bad-ass skydivers don't wear them? There's a reason for that. Talk to bonnie at gravity gear, and start to think about getting one for yourself, they act like chains on a car, and make sure that your clothing and such don't interfere with your handles.

Yeah I've definitely noticed everyone wearing them. I know wearing them makes relative work a lot easier, but since I can't do any RW work yet, I figured it wouldn't hurt to just wear some shorts and a long sleeve tee or something (I think its gonna be in the 80's tomorrow). Ill talk to some instructors and see what they say.

By the way, funny your name is hermosabeach. I live right by the pier. Where do you jump usually? I go SD because I have friends I can stay with (no friends around perris/elsinore) so I dont have to drive down and drive back up same day. Not looking forward to waking up early and heading down there tomorrow, but its worth it.

-Andrew

Jumpsuits aren't mandatory by the regs because it's so freaking obvious it doesn't need to be.

If you are cleared for solo, jump how you want, it's your option. But not wearing a jumpsuit is kinda stupid as a newbie. Unless it's REALLY hot out......then it's kinda nice, but you need to always consider safety and performance. Ask an instructor what to consider if you go suitless. It's not a dumb question.

((actually not wearing a suit is no biggie - but be aware of what can be different with the new config)

(clean lines, handles don't get covered up, helps you fly a bit if it fits right, easier for the coach to fly with you on checkout dives - so if you choose not to and it's allowed, be aware of these things when you suit up - instructors should be free with advice.)

have fun and congrats on the AFF.

Edit: whoops, your next post shows you are thinking the right things. good for you

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Not looking forward to waking up early and heading down there tomorrow, but its worth it.

Many skydiving days I actually get up earlier than I do during the week for my day job. :D:D

As others have already mentioned, there's a lot of good reasons for wearing a suit, but as long as you clear it with your instructors, most street clothes will be fine as long as you can come up with a way to ensure that your shirt doesn't fly up and over your handles. Wear something pretty long so you can tuck it fully into your shorts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

As above plus...

A jumpsuit and/or gloves can make a big difference if you slide out a landing. "Road rash" from a no-wind sliding landing can be really uncomfortable. Picking gravel out of your palm after a bungled landing can be no fun either.

Sometimes I go suitless (just shorts and a T-shirt) if I need a REALLY fast belly down fall rate. (Weather permitting. Other times I can get that speed with my tight suit or addding weight.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

ya unfortunately i really tend to enjoy my friday/saturday nights. and i have some buddies coming into town tonight, gonna be tough turning down the endless supply of shots these clowns love so much. wouldn't want the headline to read "skydiver too hungover to cutaway main and pull reserve"

ya unfortunately i really tend to enjoy my friday/saturday nights. and i have some buddies coming into town tonight, gonna be tough turning down the endless supply of shots these clowns love so much. wouldn't want the headline to read "skydiver too hungover to cutaway main and pull reserve"

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life but it is how I went through my student progression. Well not really but I was hung over a lot. Just where I was in my life at that time.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to just wear some shorts and a long sleeve tee or something

Wear a jumpsuit, if only for when you blow a landing - which you will.

Hot is uncomfortable, but not as bad as gravel shoved up your arse.

Going to do my first post-AFF jumps tomorrow and start working towards my "A." Was curious to know if I am allowed to wear just plain clothes when I jump, or if it is mandatory to wear a student jumpsuit until I get my "A" (I'm going to Skydive San Diego).

It might vary by drop zone, but maybe its a uspa reg?

Thanks!

-Andrew

I'm not at your DZ, but for what it's worth, I don't let my students jump without a jumpsuit. Too many risks of handles getting covered, poor landings, etc etc etc. Suck it up, it's not _that_ hot.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

maybe pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. when you have no drag on you legs and arms it can make you less stable and your movements need to be exaggerated.

make sure you tuck in your shirt good because the wind will blow it over your handles, and if you have a problem your fucked until you uncover them.

i didnt get a jumpsuit until about 85 jumps. i felt it was important to learn to fly my body before i used an enhancer such as a suit. i learned to control my fall rate really well. plus i'm broke so i did what worked.

there are a lot of things you can wear in freefall, just be sure to consider the effect they will have when you are in the air. it is nice to jump in shorts and a t shirt here in ga when it is 90% humidity and 100 degrees;)

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Have you noticed that all the jumpers with some experience advice you wear a JS?

Sparky

it is best to wear a jumpsuit, you stay consistent. he will end up jumping at some point without one so i gave him some info he can use.

some jumps call for jumpsuits, and some call for nothing;) the rest fall in between.

when i am doing stuff with big guys or belly/freeflyer mix i wear shorts and a t shirt.

the more tools you have in your toolbox, the better prepared you will be.

edited to add: if you jump in a t shirt make sure it is a long one. you can tuck it into your leg straps and it will stay put, but dave in the next post gives you the best advice of all.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to just wear some shorts and a long sleeve tee

Based on what?

The problem with not wearing a jumpsuit is that your street clothes were not made to stay put during freefall. Your shirt can come untucked, and blow up over your handles. The tail of your shirt can wrap around your hackey. Pants/shorts pockets have turned themselves inside out and tangled with hackeys. Belts have come undone, and beat the shit out of the jumper.

Yes, these problems can be overcome, but it requires proper clothing selection, and configuration. You have to waer it the right way to keep it 'in check' in freefall, and then means adding several point to your equipment check right before you leave the plane. The last thing you need right now is additional responsibilites in order to make sure your shirt doesn't try to kill you.

Suck it up cupcake, and put the suit on. Unzip the front, roll up the sleeves, and strip down to a t-shirt and boxers underneath, and you'll be comfortable in the heat. As others have mentioned, even a minor roll or slide on landing can be a non-issue with a suit, or a couple weeks of healing after you pick gravel/grass/twigs or whatever out of your leg. Knock out another 15 or 20 jumps, and triple your experience, and then talk to an instructor about how to jump in shorts and T.

I don't have much of an opinion about most of your post, but I disagree strongly with this:

i felt it was important to learn to fly my body before i used an enhancer such as a suit.;)

I feel it's important to learn to fly your body how it's going to be on most of your skydives. What's so special about your body in street clothes that makes experience flying like that more useful or relevant?

The suit's not an enhancer, it's a consistency provider.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Wear a JS....

1. It will protect your handles, people have died because they could not get to their handles.

2. WHEN you biff a landing, the JS will provide some protection.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't have much of an opinion about most of your post, but I disagree strongly with this:

i felt it was important to learn to fly my body before i used an enhancer such as a suit.;)

I feel it's important to learn to fly your body how it's going to be on most of your skydives. What's so special about your body in street clothes that makes experience flying like that more useful or relevant?

The suit's not an enhancer, it's a consistency provider.

i'm a big guy, and i was even bigger when i started jumping. i learned to fly my body as slow as it can go.

So I figured I would post how my day went. First 2 solo's i went jumpsuit, last one i went shorts and tee.

you weren't kidding about the chains on a car analogy. i rolled out on the exit and did some front flips, then arched and ended up on my back for a couple seconds, which has never happened to me before. took me a couple seconds to get back belly-down and get stable. it was MUCH harder to get and stay stable for me and at about 7,000ft I realized it was because i wasn't wearing a jumpsuit. and then at 6,000 i thought "now i know what the hell everyone was talking about"

anyways, thanks for the advice everyone, and nice seeing you on that last load geoff

For most students learning basic stability and movement control, having the extra flight-control surface provided by a jumpsuit will assist stability and control, while not having a jumpsuit (especially with bare arms and legs) can often make the learning experience more difficult. Personally, I think it's silly for students to try to learn the basics of stability and controlled body movement, or even elementary RW, without some kind of jumpsuit - it just sets them up for frustration.

This video shows how lack of jumpsuits can result in a greater workload in precisely controlling body-flight during belly RW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9hGpChVogc

I made my first static line jump this last weekend (first skydive ever) and my friend and I didn't wear a jumpsuit. He ended up sliding on his ass on landing which ripped through his jeans and boxers. He had to use the chute to cover himself, so his ass wasn't lighting up the world!
I'll be wearing one next time!

it is best to wear a jumpsuit, you stay consistent. he will end up jumping at some point without one so i gave him some info he can use.

It is best to give advice that fits what the questioner is doing, and capable of, now...not confusing things with advice that could apply later. This is especially true when offering up to young jumpers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239