Witelli

Starting AFF

I just completed my 3rd tandem at Skydive Long Island, N.Y. (Great DZ) I have 2 concerns going into AFF and not being able to rely totally on the professional on my back. My instructor always asks me specifics about the skydive, starting with the exit. I can't seem to get me bearings until we stabilize. He'll tell me how we twisted this way or tumbled that way before stabilizing. I guess I just arch and wait, not really knowing what's going on until that point. Is that normal? I have done everything else perfectly (90 degree turns/forward movement/pulls). I guess I'm thinking a little forward, but my 2 concerns are stabilizing after exiting the plane also, being able to remain stable while I reach back to deploy the chute. Are these normal concerns for a newbie? Any suggestions to ease my mind? It just seems like I'm losing my security blanket and I want to be prepared. I'm sure it will all come together somehow, but I'd like to hear some feedback. Thanks.

Things will all start to make more sense to you soon. I remember feeling the same way at first but by my second AFF jumpi was much more aware of everything that went on.

It is something very new for your brain to handle at first but you will get it!

Good luck on your progression :)

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

maybe you could get some video taken of your jumps? I was surprised how unstable my AFF 3 exit was when I saw it on tape. All I could remember was ... a bunch of stuff happened, then pretty soon I was belly-down and stable :D

It'll get better. Good luck and have fun with the jumps. ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

The first time my AFFI released me, she flew in front of me and gave me a legs out signal. All I did was smile. Sensory overload is common. It takes a while to develop that muscle memory where things feel natural. I had to repeat level 5. My AFFI felt worse having me repeat it then I did. Learned a lot on that dive.

Every time I started to become unstable/turn, I would:
1: Exhale (you tend to hold your breath-it naturally relaxes your diaphram-easier to arch-worked a lot better then thinking "relax")
2: Arch- fixes most instability

Do 1 & 2 before each task in the dive flow and they are much easier/smoother.

Watch your alti and pull.

Life is good at 15K.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm taking the AFP ground course this Saturday, hopefully. Then maybe 1 or 2 AFP jumpe weather permitting. I'm sure it will all make sense eventually, I just tend to be hard on myself. It may be that I'm focusing too much on the routine (Circle of Awareness, practice pulls, check alti, forward movement, check alti, right turn, check alti, left turn, check alti, wave off and pull) that I'm not able to concentrate on my surroundings. I'm sure I'll figure it all out, sometimes it's just good to hear that others had similar feelings when they started and to know that I'm progressing normally. Thanks.

I just completed my AFF level 1 on the 10th and today im still remembering stuff. Your ground school will train it so hard into you that u can do it in ur sleep. My brain froze and i found my body doing all the motions without me thinking. Trust yourself, and if the ride gets too scary, your AFFI will pull it for you.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Don't worry about it bro...just relax, remember the dive flow, ARCH, and enjoy the ride....oh and don't forget to pull....you'll be fine brosef...

Use the time on the ground to continually practice your dive flow and you'll be perfectly fine. Talk to your JM if you're unsure about something...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Exit, ARCH and look at the plane. By the time the plane disappear from your view you should be belly down and stable. Then, start your routine: AA, PPC, AA, etc. It works for me.....so far.

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I". pf

Thanks everyone, I did 3 AFF's today and passed. I'm really feeling that it's all starting to come together. I'm still nervous as hell when I'm in the plane though. But my jumps went very well. Thanks for all of the support/feedback. We're having a CASA boogie this weekend and I hope to complete my last 3 AFF's and possibly a solo. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon.