outdoorflygirl

How big can I go in my new Wings?

I got a new Wings container last year just before I found out I was pregnant. I have 50 jumps and was flying a Spectre and Sabre 2 170 at the time. My landings were OK, not beautiful. When I started gaining weight, I flew a 190, same brand. Since I've had my beautiful daughter, I want to be even safer. I'm ready to invest in canopy, either a Spectre (prefer for the soft openings, good on the neck) or a Sabre 2 (enjoy the glide on landings.) I weigh 140 and am almost 6 feet tall. My custom Wings is built for a Sabre 2 170. How big a canopy can I put in my container? I love skydiving and canopy flying, but to me canopy flying is about landing safely. I don't see myself downsizing anytime soon. Also, I have a 160 reserve in it. How big can I go on this if I upsize, and which is more important-- a bigger reserve or main. Thanks for your opinion!

Yeah, I know better.
PMS #341

Your profile says you jump at Zhills...why don't you just ask! Easiest (and most accurate) way to find out is to ask the people who made your container!

Sunrise Rigging (813) 788-1910

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

If you only weight 140 then you're probably what, 160 geared up? Loading about .85 : 1 on the 190. Remember that bigger is NOT necessarily safer. You may have an awful time in winds if you upsize from such an already low w/l. Just a thought. Certainly you should speak with those at your dz about it.

Angela.

which is more important-- a bigger reserve or main?

I personally think an appropriately-sized main and an appropriately-sized reserve are both very important. I plan to land my main a lot under normal circumstances (frequent exposure to risk from landing characteristics of that canopy) and my reserve a little, but when I may already be having a very bad day (infrequent exposure to risk from having to land with other factors).

And I have no opinion on what is an appropriately-sized main or reserve for you. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Definitely talk to the folks at Sunrise Rigging about what the biggest main/reserves you can put in your rig will be - they are the experts when it comes to Wings containers.

Re: what sizes would be right for you... I'd highly recommend that you also visit the gear store at your dz and arrange to demo a few canopies - 190's and 170's - before buying anything. You can also get PD reserves set up as mains to put demo jumps on. Doing this is going to tell you more about which sizes are right for your level of risk tolerance right now than anyone here can.

The only concern I'd have with you jumping a 190 would be on a windy day. If you decide you're most comfortable with a 190 you'll likely want to jump only when students are jumping - ie in winds under about 15 mph. Much above that and you'll be coming straight down or even backing up (which is no fun).

If you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend taking a canopy control course as soon as possible. I took Scott Miller's course a few months ago and not only did I learn a lot, my confidence under canopy and in my ability to land well increased too.

Personally I think you should be confident that you can land both your main and your reserve safely in a worst case situation - think sunset load, bad spot, into a parking lot or backyard. If that means having to buy a whole new rig... then that's what I'd suggest you do.

I hope this dosen't come across as flip or sarcastic as I am very serious... why change your main? if you were flying it ok, you can jump a 190 for a few jumps to get back current, then get back on your 170, take a flight course and keep flying it, were you ever called foolish or accused of taking too many risks on the 170 before you got pregnant? by all means if you really think the risks are much decresed by uping one size or you were pushing it too far before the pregnancy and having a child is what it took to get you thinking clearly fine.. if not why second guess yourself, I'd feel safer taking some courese getting some profesional coaching then I would if I uped a size ..

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I guess I am thinking about the what-if's. What if I have a hard opening (they suck) and my canopy has to land me unconscious? What if I make a Stupid Last Minute Maneuver and need to recover. I imagine I will be better off on a more forgiving canopy. No? But I didn't know that the higher winds would blow me around more on a bigger canopy.

Yeah, I know better.
PMS #341

I hate to say this, but if you are getting only 50 jumps in 3 yrs in the sport, you may want to concider not jumping if you want to be really safe for you childs sake?[:/]
The canopy you jump is great for you body weight and getting bigger will not help you.
Jumping more and learning to fly the canopy you have will be better.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it sounds to me as though your trying to find a canopy that is safer than the one you have?
Stay current, it will be safer...;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I had 15 jumps when I got pregnant and I took off 3 years to be pregnant and have my kids. (They manage to take up quite a bit of your time when they're little. ;) )

Most likely those jumps were made pre-pregnancy and she's still considering herself a part of this sport. For me that's 80 jumps in 5 years...I took off 3 to have and start raising my twins! :S

Hardly means we should quit jumping just because we can't get in the air as much as we would like!

I do strongly suggest taking a canopy control course and getting some coaching. I'm doing it myself.

BettyAnn

If you read her reason for the post you'll find this.

Since I've had my beautiful daughter, I want to be even safer.

One of the things people tend to forget is "SKYDIVING IS DANGEROUS!"
Too many people just think currency under the USPA's "recommended" 1 jump every 30 days is good enough to be safe? If you are going up with an Instructor when you do those "recommended" jumps, you might be. But if you think you are on top of your game when you just show up at the DZ now and then to do your 1 jump, your sadly mistaken.
Her canopy she was jumping is just fine for her body weight. And if you notice her main is BIGGER than her 160 reserve and she has ONE AAD?
Does she think she will be under her main when she's unconcious? Who will pull it for her? Her reserve will not just pop out by itself!
My "recommendation" remains the same, sorry.
Her choice is to listen to it or not.
But I can say if her main reason is to be safer for her daughters sake, though it sounds harsh is, choose a sport she can do with her daughter......

Be safe.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Sorry, I get a bid defensive with posts like this. I took your response as - Since now you have a child and want to be safer you should just stop jumping.

I also want to be as safe as possible to return home to my munchkins at the end of the day but I am taking steps to understand my gear better and working on my skills instead of just walking away.

BettyAnn

I really do understand and appreciate both opinions. Thank You.

I have gotten to jump more than once a month. My first tandem was New years eve 2001. But I didn't start really jumping until the summer of 2002. And of course I wasn't jumping the last 8 months. I've found canopy control and landing to be more dangerous than freefall. Coach jumps haven't proven too helpful with canopy control. Maybe I am mistaken?

Most people take more risks before they have children. If I go by manufacturer's recommendations on those canopies, I should be in a 190 since my exit weight is over 160. 153 is max for a novice on a 170 Spectre. I was jumping a 170 but wasn't sticking all my landings.

I will definitely take a canopy control course. It just seemed prudent to jump what the manufacturer recommends, especially with the change in my perspective from having a child.

This much is for sure--I'll still be jumping, in addition to doing safe, adventurous activities with my family. I like variety. And I don't see myself being willing or able to give up skydiving yet. :)

Yeah, I know better.
PMS #341

I recommend spending time with Brian Germain if you can make any of the seminars he's doing (see schedule in canopy forum). You'll learn a lot about how a parachute actually flies, and what you can do to be a better pilot. I guarantee you'll come out a more competent and confident pilot if you go into it with an open mind and really want to understand and be better. If you want a good competency course that is less comprehensive, I recommend Scott Miller in Deland.

And, I agree with bodypilot, if you don't feel comfortable under a 170 spectre, why would you feel comfortable under a 160 reserve? If you really think you should be flying a 190, why wouldn't you want a reserve that size as well. You'll likely be a lot more freaked out under the reserve, and maybe more prone to making mistakes. Not to mention that you won't likely be landing under your main unconcious, it is your reserve you'll have to be landing under.

Also, a spectre flown at 1:1 is a pretty docile canopy, ime. (note, I only made a few jumps on one, and "docile" was with compare to Sabre II and Stiletto). And, you can't expect to have been nailing your landings if you weren't very current (i'm not expert, but 50 jumps / yr is not all that current imo). But, if you buy a canopy, and jump only that one canopy and make an effort to learn, fly and land it well, you will get better. Canopy courses can only help.

And, like Skybytch said, it is fine if you do go up to a 190sf canopy, that's your choice to make, do what you feel is safe... but be aware of the winds and make sure you don't go up if they are high (I think she said >15mph) because that could be very dangerous.

Take care:)
Angela.

If you read her reason for the post you'll find this.

Since I've had my beautiful daughter, I want to be even safer.

One of the things people tend to forget is "SKYDIVING IS DANGEROUS!"
Too many people just think currency under the USPA's "recommended" 1 jump every 30 days is good enough to be safe? If you are going up with an Instructor when you do those "recommended" jumps, you might be. But if you think you are on top of your game when you just show up at the DZ now and then to do your 1 jump, your sadly mistaken.
Her canopy she was jumping is just fine for her body weight. And if you notice her main is BIGGER than her 160 reserve and she has ONE AAD?
Does she think she will be under her main when she's unconcious? Who will pull it for her? Her reserve will not just pop out by itself!
My "recommendation" remains the same, sorry.
Her choice is to listen to it or not.
But I can say if her main reason is to be safer for her daughters sake, though it sounds harsh is, choose a sport she can do with her daughter......

Be safe.

I am with Ed on this one... You can turn it the way you want but skydiving is not safe. It can be practiced with relative safety but in then end, it is still a dangerous/deadly sport.
I totally understand your view about wanting to be safe/safer for your daugther. I have two young daugthers as well...so I know where you come from.
But the fact remains! No piece of gear will make this sport 100% safe and I think you are trying to find a way to fool yourself regarding the dangers of the sport by wanting to upsize. A bigger canopy will not make it much safer. In fact, with your weight it might even make it more dangerous in some situation.

If I were you, I would take a hard look at the sport and see if it's worth the risks. This not even considering the currency you issue you seem to have.
There are other exciting sports/acitivities that are safer and might be more appropriate if your having a dilema with the risks VS responsabilities.

Skydiving is a selfish sport when it comes to responsabilities one has towards others... can you live with that?

"We see the world just the way we are...