webracer

Too big to learn to skydive?

Have you been told you are too big to learn to skydive? It is NOT TRUE!
I have the equipment, experience and facilities to teach any large sized human to skydive. I have rigs capable of (legally) taking a human that is over 400lbs. My equipment is not modified tandem equipment, it is sport equipment, custom made for the large person.
Call Plymouth Sky Sports at (574) 936-7700 for more details.
http://www.plymouthskysports.com
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Which reserve(s) is TSOd at 400lbs?

I've only seen tandem reserves TSO'd that high... but I could be wrong.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Think outside of the "sport" box. What application would need a reserve rated for a man and a supplemental load (other than a tandem?).
If you guessed military, you'd be on the right track. My HUGE boy rig has a TR-335 reserve, TSO'd for 425 lbs @ 170 kts! You should see the build quality of this canopy!
OK, most people will never see it, but my connections in the sport allowed me to buy a new tactical reserve and new tactical main (MS-330, otherwise called a tactical silhouette) for my HUGE boy rig.
Just 'cause you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The world is bigger than our little corner.
Troy

Think outside of the "sport" box.

Fair one, man. I hadn't considered military.

To be fair though, I never said it didn't happen, I just asked which one.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I have the equipment, experience and facilities to teach any large sized human to skydive. I have rigs capable of (legally) taking a human that is over 400lbs. My equipment is not modified tandem equipment, it is sport equipment, custom made for the large person.

Do I get a finders fee?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3915046;#3915046

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3915048;#3915048

What the f ? Couldn't find my own post until I realized you crossposted. That's not cricket, old boy.

=========
So I'll repeat what I accidentally posted in your Events + Places to jump thread:

You mentioned in your "advertisement" that you had sport equipment. From later posts it sounds like the canopies are really military -- a bit sneaky to call it sport equipment and then laugh at people who say they don't know of non-tandem sport equipment for those weights.

Still, it is nice to hear about big boy rigs, as that's a topic that comes up from time to time and they are rare.

The Tactical Reserve is one of those CPS products, which would mean PD for the canopy.

You haven't mentioned the container. Looks like a Vector Sigma rig, but you say you aren't using modified tandem equipment.

So how about coughing up some more detail on it? Is it an off the shelf military rig, in 'civilian' colors?

And what is its certification basis? With those weights, it can't be just another "Wonderhog" Vector 3? Or does it fall under the Sigma drop tests? (In which case it is modified tandem gear, although built that way at the factory.) Or is it based on some other TSO for the military?

Lets see a photo of the front of it too.

How are the prices? Is the military stuff priced in the range of tandem equipment (which companies know are being used to earn big bucks by DZ's, and priced accordingly), or even higher?

You brought up the subject of your cool big boy rig, so we'll ask some questions!

THe container is a V3-M series custom built for these canopies and a 6'5" 370lb man. The rig has sport handle locations. It doesn't look like a Sigma to me (and I own Sigmas, so I am certain what they look like), it looks like a V3-M, which is what it is. Size is V397.
About prices, the reserve and main cost nearly the same as tandem canopies.
I don't have a pic of the front handy, but believe that it was built as a sport rig (from day 1)
Here is a pic of the side (on the fellow it was built for), and a pic of the main taking up the entire SDC freefly packing area (notice the distinctly military colors).
Troy

... My HUGE boy rig has a TR-335 reserve, TSO'd for 425 lbs @ 170 kts! You should see the build quality of this canopy!

Interesting approach to the problem, but keep in mind that the TSO'd max weight is exit weight - which includes all gear. Since this rig probably weighs about 40 lbs, and the other gear maybe 5 lbs., your student is actually limited to 380 lbs. Then there's the question of whether it's a good idea to put a first-jump student out at a wing loading of 1.29. Considering that USPA recommends a max WL of 1.0 until a jumper has 200 jumps, I'd say no. In fact I'd say hell, no.

Remember also that military (HALO) jumpers using this kind of equipment are all Airborne qualified, meaning that they've had extensive training on rough landings. They're also in much better physical condition than the average 380-pounder, and will typically drop or lower their extra equipment before landing, so their legs don't usually have to absorb the force of their canopy landing at max exit weight.

So if you follow reasonable guidelines (0.9 WL), what you really have here is a system that's good for typical civilian students up to maybe 260 lbs., not "over 400 lbs.".

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

`massive drop´ :D you can also built in small rocket engines activating just prior the landing. They are usually used for massive drops, like tanks and heavy equipment. :D

A tunnel rat that is amazing in FF skills? lol

I'm currently taking weight donations btw if anyone is interested B|

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp