shellybellyfly

AFF going slowly....

Hi, I started jumping about 2 months ago and am still on my level 4 AFF. Not going as planned!! I've had 8 jumps and should have been off student status by now! I'm not going to let it keep me down though. A lot of it has to do with not having an adequate amount of AFF instructors at my dz. Then I saw a student crash into a building right before I was going on my first level 3. I had to take a weekend off after that one! I got scared... But it's ok, I'm in the clear now. Any other students going through the same thing as me?

Anyway, I'm heading off to the Dollar Daze boogie tomorrow... Anyone who can come had ought to, it's supposed to be a great party even if you can't jump!

Check out the details at couchfreaks.com

Hey there,
You are definitely not the only one taking some time with AFF! I just had to repeat my level 4 of AFP. And I have friends who had to as well. There are many experienced jumper on here who had rocky starts, too.
Don't worry about it!:)If you do a search there is a link to someones jump journal that will inspire you to keep going. It took her something like 48 jumps to graduate! She did S/L, then AFF, then back to S/L. Now she does CRW. If she can do it, we all can, too! :)
Keep plugging away, you'll graduate soon enough! Good luck! :)
Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I just ordered the book "Falling Into Place" about a woman who also struggled.. Maybe that will help. I'll do a search for threads about people with the same problems! I kinda was in a race I think, because I wanted to be finished before our boogie, Dollar Daze, which starts Thursday. But I will succeed! Thanks again for the tips!

Hey Shelly. Welcome! I know just how you feel. I had many repeats along the way. The best thing for me was to do several jumps a day. My learning curve went straight up when I did like 6 one day. Follow your instructors advice, BREATHE, RELAX, and SMILE!!:)

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

Hi there Shelly, I to had a long wait while doing my AFF. I would turn up and hang around all weekend without jumping becuase've 15 knot winds!
Don't let the lack of instructors get you down or any crashes of others put you off. Because once of student status, and then with your own gear, the struggle and disappointments are all worth it. The thrill of jumping with others in the none pressure
enviroment of fun jumps makes you see why you stuck with it. Have fun at the Boogie they rock.

Hey Shelly, welcome!! If you spend some time here you'll find most everyone had to repeat a level or two (or more) to get where they are today. More importantly you'll find great people & information here, I know I have!! As long as you keep that good attitude & don't look at it as a failure but as a learning experience you'll do fine. And listen to your instructors. I totally screwed up my level 3 jump & then landed out in a briar patch this past weekend!! But....I learned alot that day!! Good luck & blue skies!!

B| Don

Don

Here's to friends!

Then I saw a student crash into a building right before I was going on my first level 3.

I was almost a student who crashed into a building, infact I could have probably kicked the building I almost hit while taking high speed landing (about 30mph ground speed WITH the wind). If I may offer up ANY advice in my limited experiance, let it be that if you have ANY PROBLEMS with your parachute just get rid of it, dont be too scared too like I was or think you can handle it.. When I almost hit that building I was trying to fly a Nav 260 by the rear risers because I had a brake malfunction.. BIG mistake. I was back up in the sky the next week though, doing Level 3 over again :) Lets just say I learned my lesson...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

hi shelli, I just graduated and also had to repeat one jump due to excessive backsliding. I found by doing multiple jumps together I was more in tune. I can't wait to get back to the DZ to go totally on my own. Also my instructor video taped my last 4 jumps. I must have looked at it a hundred times and saw some minor errors I need to work on. my problem was the initial departure from the plane. I have a tendency to look where I am going (down), then arch and correct. The next time I am on the plane I am going to sit at the door and stare at the prop, jump and try to continue this so I don't look down. minor adjustments. My point is the video really helped me to see some minor posture issues. additionally, its no big deal to repeat some. Its all about learning and safety.

Don't let it get you down There is so much to learn all at once. We improve with every jump. Remember that each jump is its own experience don't rush to get your license. My JM told me that on the way out the door one my first jump. I landed two miles away from the DZ due to a short in my radios ear piece. Just have funB|
blue skies

Hi. I just signed up today and am I ever glad I did. It seems that everyone I spoke to at my DZ graduated in 7 AFF jumps (or at least that's what they said) and I was feeling rather disappointed in myself since I have had 7 AFF jumps and have only managed to pass level 4. It's great to hear I'm not alone :)

"I know JUST enough about skydiving to know I don't know ANYTHING about skydiving"
XGS#1

As the only AFF student you should have plenty of instructor time that's for sure. My next jump will be on Oct.2, trying for level 5...again [:/] Be sure to buy the beer when you graduate Saturday.

"I know JUST enough about skydiving to know I don't know ANYTHING about skydiving"
XGS#1

Dont give up. Last week i was jumping on the same lift as an AFF studant. I was talking to her later on that day & i asked how many jumps she had done in total. Her response was, ''26''! I assumed she had started on a static line course initially but i later found out all 26 jumps were AFF and she was only on level 7. She had to repeat all levels atleast 3-4 times but she didnt give up. So.................me thinks you should keep going;)

Shellybelly - Good Luck. It doesn't matter how long it takes you - so long as you get there and enjoy the journey! I was a very slow AFF student - I think I was around 20+ jumps before getting my
AFF. There were 2 other blokes doing the AFF course with me and they didn't fail one level. As far as I know, neither of them jump now and I don't think they even continued to 100 jumps. I am still jumping 4 years later...

Shellybelly - It took me 10 jumps to get through AFF and now I am an AFF Intructor with close to 2100 skydives. The most difficult thing I have found with some of my students is just getting them to relax. We just can't fly good through the air if we are not relaxed. It will click with you as it does everyone else if you just keep on jumping. Listen to your Instructor and visualize yourself doing your dive and have faith that you can do it and you will. I'm happy to hear that you are repeating the levels and not being moved forward when you are not ready. If you get through this without really being able to relax, don't worry, when you do some solo jumps it will click and you will find out the joy of doing a relaxed skydive. Good luck.

The hardest thing to do is relax when your going 120 mph but once you do that you can do whatever you want. It took me 3 level 4's, 10 level 5's and a few 6's and one 7 and oh yeah 16 minutes in the tunnel to realize that i wasn't breathing. Just smile big ( it helps keep your mouth open and keeps air going in and out hehe :)

-----------------------------------------------
The difference between fear and respect is knowledge. Learn more about what your doing and you won't be afraid to do it.