whiterabbit

New to the sport -- what's my problem?

Last summer, I drove quite a few hours with a close friend of mine to a dropzone a few states away. I had always wanted to skydive, but assumed that it would be something I only did once or twice, just to see what it felt like. My friend had already done three tandems at this DZ, and since we were both just out of school for the summer, I agreed to go spend a week skydiving with him to see what it was like.

I knew nothing of the sport at the time, and when the DZ recommended I go through the AFP program, that sounded fine to me. My first ride up in the plane was terrifying, and the first freefall (tandem) wasn't as much fun as I had hoped -- turns out I was facing the ground the whole time, thought I couldn't breath with all the (relative) wind rushing up at me, and got a bit queasy from the spins my tandem instructor did. But it seemed silly to give up on skydiving after one mediocre jump, especially since I was to be at the DZ for a whole week, so (after ground school) I gave it another go that day. My second tandem was great -- I had a much better idea of what was actually going on in the air, and I remembered not to look down the whole time.

The following day I completed my third tandem, and followed it up with 8 more (non-tandem) AFP jumps over the course of the week. I really thought it would be cool if I got my certification that first week, but it didn't happen, because I _just couldn't get my form down_. My exits were always decent, and I never freaked out in freefall, but I would always go into a spin that my AFP instructor would have to correct. Apparently I wasn't arching hard enough, and my right leg was dipping below my left. I practiced on the ground with my instructor, and while in freefall I _really felt_ like I was mimicking what I had practiced, though clearly that was not the case.

Strangely, the only time I had a really solid skydive and managed to stay spin-free was after a rather harrowing experience on my 6th or 7th jump. Due to winds that picked up after the plane took off, I was blown a ways away from the DZ. After my parachute opened, I looked down and realized I had no idea where I was. I finally figured out that I was way downwind of the landing area, but since I had no radio contact with my instructor, I decided to fly directly into the wind to get back to where I was supposed to land, rather than find a suitable area off-course. In retrospect, it was a very bad decision, and one that I wouldn't make again, but I simply didn't understand the capabilities of my parachute at the time. I ended up just barely making it over a road (and power lines) and landing in a tiny backyard, making minor adjustments to my chute to avoid hitting the roof of the house on my left and the big tree on my right. I wasn't sure if I was going to ever jump again after that, but a few hours later I did, and managed to avoid spinning.

That night I got pretty drunk at a party at the DZ and was hung over the next morning. I jumped twice, wasted a lot of money, and actually regressed in my AFP training -- the instructor suggested that I go back to a previous level and work on my body position.

It was disappointing to end my first (and so far only) week of skydiving on a bad note. I was happy to have completed 11 jumps in my five days at the dropzone (having gone in expecting to make only a couple, and only as a tandem student), but I was down on myself for having had such problems with something as basic as an arch.

That was all a year ago. I've just now graduated from college, and have spent the last 12 months thinking and dreaming about skydiving. Though I've spent probably no more than 11 minutes in freefall, I can't stop obssessing about the sport. I remember how I almost cried when I was under my first canopy all by myself from the beauty of the experience. I remember the sweaty palms and tight throat that I always experienced in the plane on the ride up -- the anxiety that seemed to crescendo as I stood at the back of the caravan, with my feet only halfway in the plane, preparing to leap backwards out of an airplane at 15,000'. And I remember the rush I felt after having exited the plane, the anxiety replaced -- or at least masked -- by the sensation of freefall.

If it isn't clear from this lengthy introduction, I'm really interested in skydiving. I'd like to resume the sport this summer, and work towards a license. It's on my mind _all the time_, and I figure I'd better do something about that. But I'm worried that I just won't be able to get it. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I'm a reasonably athletic person and am in good shape, though I'm pretty inflexible (can't even come close to touching my toes). My friend suggested that my problem might have partially come from my complete inexperience with skydiving, and the fact that I tried to cram so much into so little time. I'm really not sure what to think, except that maybe I'm just a slow learner. I'd love to hear others' thoughts and suggestions about my situation, if they're willing to share. I think I failed like 4 of my AFP jumps because of my spinning problem, and I'd like to stop throwing my money away.

Thanks for hearing me out,
Tim

Welcome to the forums! :)
Another suggestion I have is to go to a wind tunnel to help with your body position and spinning problem. I think you would be able to fix that problem in no time in there. Good luck and I hope you make your dreams come true!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'd definitely love to get to a wind tunnel, as dropping $250+ on each AFP jump is a _lot_, especially when you don't pass...

I'm in Rhode Island for the summer, but I'm willing to travel to get to a wind tunnel. Can anyone recommend any -- closer is better, I guess -- that have experienced staff who can teach skydiving basics?

From one spinner to another, WELCOME! I'm sure you'll get it. Listen to your instructors and all will be well.

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

Keep saying this in your head when jumping..it helped me. Pelvis down...pelvis down...pelvis down.

As for your legs, click your heels together to bring your legs to a symmetrical position. It really does work Dorothy.

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

I'd definitely love to get to a wind tunnel, as dropping $250+ on each AFP jump is a _lot_, especially when you don't pass...

I'm in Rhode Island for the summer, but I'm willing to travel to get to a wind tunnel. Can anyone recommend any -- closer is better, I guess -- that have experienced staff who can teach skydiving basics?

The closest decent tunnel for you is probally the orlando sky venture. There are other tunnels out there (non skyventure) but they don't really compare. Clicky!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There is a vertical wind tunnel in Clifton Forge, Tennesse called "Fly Away" which I used while in my training. Although, in retrospect it may have been counter productive because of the lower wind speeds. Due to the lower speeds they use very baggy suits for more drag which causes you to have a different body position than in freefall. I would recommend going to a tunnel which will allow for a normal jumpsuit like what you have been jumping to truely help your technique. The tunnel in Orlando would be your best choice.

Ask lots of questions and listen to your instructors.

Goodluck with your training!

CG;)
"Very Dangerous, You Go First!"

Your problem is you stopped jumping. You have conquered the hardest part, trusting yourself to do something most people dream of. By your intro, it sounds like your heart is up there. Follow your heart!
Listen to your instructors, relax, have FUN!
May the only blue in your life be the sky you are in!