markymarc

Hello to all,great to be here.NERVES OR FEAR

Hi folks great to have found like minded people,my name is mark and i am forty,i have longed to be skydiving since i was a young boy and dreamed about it since i can remember,i finally got to do a tandem on my forty'th birthday and well it was every thing i had ever dreamed about,the feeling was life changeing , every second felt like what i had been waiting for for so long,well i am well and truly hooked now,i have been saving hard for my aff course and fully intend to take it all the way to becoming a fully trained sky diver,one quistion i have to all,
On your first jump tandem or aff static, were you all nervous or are there some people who had totally no fear at all ?? the reason i ask is that I had totally no nerves or fear for the whole experiance!! also no sensory over load either. i have for twenty years worked at great heigths in a dangerous occupation but still surely i should get nerves, on the day of my tandem the instructor actually said to me ,its good to be at least a little nervous it keeps your senses in touch , so is this really right or will i sense it more when i jump aff and am more in charge. thanks Markmark
markymark

hi mark, welcome to the forums.
I was quite nervous when I saw the other tandem exitin before us... That was (as I recall) the most nervous part.
Oh, after your 1st jump, being 40, you can join the POPS (parachutists over phortys) www.thepops.org

take care and take pleasure too
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Welcome to your new addiction. My brother and I started diving last year ( he is 50 and I am 43). I heard an interview with one of the Golden Knights concerning being nearvous that was great. It was something like " If you aren't a little scared ( nearvous) then you need to quit". I still have low jump numbers and I still get butterflies from time to time. I think I't just your body telling you that you need to be careful.

hi, mark! nice to read sg. from one who is same age as me, because reading in the forums makes me think skydiving´s just a sport for students and other very young people - and those who are elder have plenty years of experience.
i started with tamdems two years ago (unfortunately stook by that until now), and i remember that i had no fear at all. it never occured to me that i´d be more risky or less careful if i somewhen begin AFF just because i wasn´t nervous at my first jump.
in fact, i think i´m extremely cautious and will it be by beginning the AFF anyway - i even thought i´d be more anxious than any other student because of my age.
so, i think it´s just a matter of confidence - maybe it´s only that we can better than others trust in someone else (tm).
so we are probably as nervous as others, too, when we do our first jump without tm.
try out!
greetings
martina

You're question is a good one. I just finished commenting to my JM that I wasn't nervous at all during my first 4 jumps, but on number 5, where I left the plane in a dive exit, I was terrified. Ever since then, I've had butterflies on the ride to altitude, but they go away immediately after I exit.

;)Hey Mark! Good Luck on your AFF.. It is a bit more intense than a Tandem, but I'm sure you will be fine...I too, started skydiving later on in life (always wishing I had started when I was younger), but once your in the sky, that awesome feeling just keeps getting better. I wasn't nervous about my Tandem, but after sitting thru the First Jump Course, learning about Malfunctions & Emergency Procedures, it will make you start thinking a lot harder since it is "YOU" that has to make the decision & react to it. Im sure you will do great! Keep us informed on how the AFF goes.. Where are going to do the AFF Training at?

Welcome to this wonderful sport & the awesome people you will meet along the way.

BLUE SKIES!

Hi Mark,

I am 43 and just started skydiving in November so this is definitely not just a young person thing. Good luck with your progression. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

markymarc.........dude i also turn the 40 in just under 1 month.........I tried skydiving out for first time last summer.......
did the static line type exits...........i was fine until my buddy let go of the wing spar........then i was all nerves........good luck with the AFF and welcome to the forums.........

----------------------------------
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Welcome to the world or addiction of skydiving. I did my first sports jump on my 40th birthday. I did my first jump from a plane in the military, my first jump wasn't scared or nervous. I think it was from wanting to do it for so long. Now I would say it is a little different now, I definetly respect the risk. I can't think of another sport that is as exciting and enjoyable. Great sport and great people. Good luck and have fun.B|

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

MM,

When I first started skydiving, I was surprised with how easily I leapt from the plane, devoid of any fear or nervousness. But, as I progressed through AFF/AFP, I noticed that I developed a lot of performance anxiety that was potentially more dangerous than a healthy fear of the planet that was rushing at me. Performance anxiety can be distracting, whereas a healthy, realistic fear/respect of skydiving can heighten awareness, judgement, and even enjoyment.

I've earned my A license and have been jumping regularly since. When I fun jump alone, I'm all smiles. But, when I'm invited on an RW jump, I get the nerves again. I don't like the idea of potentially wasting other people's jump money by messing up their skydive.

The reality is, however, that we learn by jumping. And, every skydiver has to go through the process of having bad jumps to get to the better ones. And, no skydiver gets to the better jumps without having others share their experiences.

So, I've tried to relax. I listen attentively to those who are kind enough to share knowledge (which is nearly everyone), and I try to accept criticism and praise equally.

So, while I still get the nerves, I'm working on relaxing and simply enjoying the fact that I'm lucky enough to be participating in the wonderful sport of skydiving.

Thank you to everyone who's accepted me so willingly. And, good luck MM. Welcome.

Support Our Troops,

topher
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

my fear became more prevelant as i progressed. My fear then regressed once I started to learn about the
dynamics of body flight and canopy control. Your feelings of fear are normal because jumping out of a
plane is not normal. "don't ever lose respect of that piece of nylon above your head"

Thankyou for your reply pillfish :-) Just cannot wait to do my aff now,planning to get started asap,checking out diffrent dz's at the moment,lucky to have four within an hours drive of where i live,only one more to check out,i still get that buzz just hanging out at the dz's even though i am not jumping at the moment,also planing to do a packing course prior to aff just so i can hang out untill the finances are in place. take care markymark.
markymark

HI Tailgate thankyou for your reply :-) " If you aren't a little scared ( nearvous) then you need to quit". That was what worried me somewhat,after years of working at great heighths in dangerous situations where one slip or fall would result in one hell of a fall to the ground i was sure i would feel nervous as i was about to go against everything i had fought against in my occupation,and without the luxury of a parachute,but it did'nt happen,i think the excitement and long awaited feelings of finally doing it masked the fear and nerves,but anyhows cannot wait to go again so will keep you posted.marky mark
markymark

Hello Martina thankyou for your reply i think it´s just a matter of confidence :-) . You make a good point there Martina,i am a very confident person and yes that does come with age ,when i commit myself to some thing i do it one hundred percent,i went up for my first jump with three others who were doing charity tandems and who were all half my age,they were all excited as was i but when it came to the jumps i was having to talk them out of the reailisation of what they were about to do as the door opened, they all went suddenly quite and some look scared to death but with a few confident words and encouragement they were up for it again so that gave me a buzz,and there was me never jumped myself.take care markymark
markymark

Hello Andrea thankyou for your reply,Maybe the first time you're in charge of saving your own life it will be a little bit more pressure for you,
Yes i had thouhgt that point out and came to the conclusion that although i was doing waht i was doing i was really only along for the ride so to speak,the instructor had compleate controll and i could just go and enjoy the experiance without any worries,i do expect to have diffrent feelings when i make my first aff jump as i will be more in control and have to perform for myself so will keep you posted. markymark
markymark

Thankyou for your reply and congratulations on your level five,wish i had got that far but will be doing aff asap,i think thats when i will feel the nerves more as i will having to do it for myself but i like being in control and am longing for that first jump.take care markymark.ps keep me post on your progression.
markymark

Thankyou for your reply lo flyer. since it is "YOU" that has to make the decision & react to it. great point that others also have said and your all quite right!! am i up for the challenge ? without one shadow of a doubt! and yes thats when i think the nerves will kick in as thats when i will as you say have to perform for myself.take care Marky mark
markymark

Hi Darcy thankyou for your reply,congratulations on your progression,i have no worries about starting sky diveing at my age,as its something i have always wanted to do since i was very young,i am still very young thinking and still fit as a fiddle,i was married young at nineteen,first child at twenty one ,second two years later and still married to my lovely wife twenty years later,house all paid for now and kids all but left home to do there own thing at university,so what better time to finally do what i have always wanted and before its too late hey! well take care markymark redundent dad heee he.
markymark

Hey there Mike thanks for the reply,isnt forty just the greatest age?i love it!! i have my life back now with kids at university and all,so this is the time to do the aff,i am sure the nerves thing is going to kick in some time through the levels so its been great to talk to people who have been there so i can sort of condition myself prior to doing it.take care markymark
markymark

Hi Robert thankyou for you reply, definetly respect the risk! thats a great point as i have always respected the risk in my occupation,working at heigths every day gives you that.i just thought that doing some thing that i have trained and respect IE not falling would put the fear of hell into me but it didnt happen although as most people have said here it will kick in as i progress through aff and man i cannot wait!!. I see your into construction the same as me? what line are you in? i am into curtain walling,glazing the outside of buildings from floor to roof line so you see where the risk is,only an inch between me and the ground and man theres no parachute arggh.take care of yourself markymark.
markymark

Thankyou for your reply that was a great read and i have taken all you say in! this forum is great as everyone is so helpfull in there oppinions and i havent even started yet but from here i am getting a real sense of what everyone else feels,the shared knowledge is already a great learning curve for me so thankyou.marky mark
markymark