goldenarmadillo

New to the world of Skydiving

Hi, being the daughter of a frequent jumper, I have always wanted to tackle the skies.

I have a website http://www.roadwanderers.com, and I go on an annual sponsored trip. This year, one of our biggest sponsors is skydiving in Toronto.

My heart races, everytime I think of it! Im so nervous, and its months away!!!

I would love to see a full video of a static line jump. But I have only been able to find videos that show the 12-15 seconds of the jump. Does anyone have a full video available?
"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time..."
- Jack Kerouac

Welcome to the forums! :)www.skydivingmovies.com to see if you can find the video you are looking for. A lot of people upload stuff to that site.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey! Thanks!

I think I watched (close to) every movie on http://www.skydivingmovies.com but the majority of the videos are from the experienced jumpers. If anyone had a video of their VERY first skydiving experience, I would love to see it! :)
Also, did any of you go through the entire training, then back out, your first time. Im so worried that I will just completely chicken out in the plane!!!!:S
"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time..."
- Jack Kerouac

Hey GoldenArmadillo! (Cool screenname by the way)

First off, Welcome. Congratulations on your interest in skydiving. What a neat thing to have found dropzone.com and it's community before making even your first jump!

To answer your reply: "Also, did any of you go through the entire training, then back out, your first time. Im so worried that I will just completely chicken out in the plane!!!! "

I guess my answer would be no to that. I remember what a friend of mine who had already jumped before me told me: You don't go all the way down to the DZ and sit through the entire training (if you end up going AFF) to change your mind not to go. For whatever reason I remember him saying that and I had just made up my mind that it was my turn and my time to learn how to skydive. Yes I was nervous but I don't think I allowed myself to feel it or turn it on until about 4,000 feet in the airplane. I remember sitting across from the door looking out and down, then at my altimeter and thinking we are only at 4,000 feet? We have 8,000 more to go??? :o

All I can say it is an experience I will never forget (mainly because I got the video) :D. When you do get ready to jump, make sure if you can afford it to get the video. You will never make another "first" jump.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Hey! Thanks! Golden Armadillos is my little project
(goto: http://www.roadwanderers.com ) Hence the screename! Once I finally make the jump, it will be recorded into the website, along with our other adventures.

You sure did help calm my nerves. I think one of the things in my favor, is that it is not scheduled for another couple of months, so that I can get all my fears worked out, before the jump. That, or work myself into such a frenzy, that I wont be able to go! Haha.

You said, you had a video of your first jump!!! Can I see?! I have had no such luck in seeing the first jump videos so far!

Thanks!
Happy Times, Lindsey
http://www.roadwanderers.com
- Jack Kerouac

Sorry but I have no way of uploading that video for you to see it. I just have a VHS copy of it and you are all the way in Florida. But heck, with the amount of DZs in Florida, you could stop by one and people get videos all the time. I'm sure you could check out someone else's. If you were in Missouri, I would hook you up at Quantum Leap with a video to watch, we run them all the time on our TVs throughout the DZ!

Anyhow, good luck with your skydiving endeavors. It is a blast, that much I can guarantee!

Blue skies.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

It's normal and healthy to be nervous. But a big part of this sport is learning to overcome and control your natural impulses. Take a deep breath, you'll be fine. The worst thing you can do is worry and worry and worry so that when the day comes you are all tense. Relax! Your jump will go much smoother and you will enjoy it more. Welcome to skydiving, the best sport ever invented!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Hi All!

Just wanted to let you know I DID it! Wow, it was awesome. I almost chickened out, but I knew I had to do it! It was the most incredible feeling ever. I reviewed the entire experience on our website you can check it out at roadwanderers.com, in the "Reviews of Destination Canada, eh?"

Hope all is well with everyone!

Jump and Go, Lindsey
- Jack Kerouac