bubbadrop

Was my first jump experience normal?

Hey all -

I just made my first jump (tandem) yesterday. While I enjoyed it, it was a little bit disappointing. It seemed to be over in a flash and I don't remember a whole heck of a lot.

We jumped from 11,500 and I remember leaving the plane and feeling the initial motion. I remember my instructor giving me two thumbs up after the droge (sp?) deployed, and then it seemed I looked at my altimeter almost immediately and it was at 5,000 and my instructor was pulling the ripcord (I was supposed to pull it at 5,500 but missed it). That translates to approximately 30-40 seconds, but it felt like 5 seconds. I feel as if I lost 30 seconds and missed enjoying the freefall.

My instructor said most students feel like it goes more quickly than it actually does, but the entire experience comes back to them later in the day. 24 hours later not much has come back to me.

Is this a normal experience?

ABSOLUTELY normal!

this is one of the main reasons most skydivers recommend getting your first jump videoed. your first jump is so much of a sensory overload that most don't remember it. i honestly don't remember my first tandem but i watch my video and have a pretty good idea of how happy i was.

dont worry, its normal. as the jump numbers keep rolling along, you'll remember more and more, and at some point in time, the only things youll ever think about are your memories from up thereB|

keep on jumpin! and welcome aboard!!:P;)B|

I had similar thoughts on my first tandem too. I felt like I remembered nothing until I watched the video. I had sensory overload on the jump and did not really know what to think of it right away. It was not until my second tandem that I really felt like I enjoyed the experience.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Your experience is totally normal. To this day, I still don't remember anything from the time I left the plane until I pulled. It's been 17 years and it's the best blackout I've ever had.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

My first freefall was similar. I think I went into this awe state from the new feeling of ff and before I know it, it was time to pull. I had it video taped so watching it that night while still high from the experience I let the video fill in the blanks. I was much more aware on my second ff. I'm sure you will feel the same. Enjoy it;)

HAHA:D:D

Describes excactly how I felt!

My first jump was AFF (had the same thoughts as you once under canopy. I was like, ummm, that ws it?! too quick dammit!) , and after I landed and all, my instructors got me to debrief with them. So they are all serious, and ask me, BERT..... DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED..... I was like.... ummm..... well... we got out of the plane.... and um.... fell.....i did some stuff and all of a sudden we were at 6000! I had to lock on wave off and pull!!!

THey just cracked up!
Now I can remember it all, including practice pulls, COA's, and how I stuck my tongue out and smiled at them. I didnt remember any of this for two days after the jump.

Its awesome to see your awareness increase. You think you are there on your 5th jump, but then you do another one and you are ven more aware, and it continues, i'm still seeing the same thing occur!

That only means one thing... I CAN GET A LOT BETTER!!!!!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

welcome to the forums and congrats for your 1st.
as already said, it's normal... but...

this is one of the main reasons most skydivers recommend getting your first jump videoed. your first jump is so much of a sensory overload that most don't remember it. i honestly don't remember my first tandem but i watch my video and have a pretty good idea of how happy i was

I videoed 1st timers on tandem, and the sensory overload was soooo intense that they didn't even remember I was just in front of them... :P and asked me how I did the video :S
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Mine seemed to go by rather quickly also. I did get video footage and have watched it a few times in the last couple of weeks. I have a few weeks till I get to go again and I can't wait. B|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Welcome. Sounds normal to me. Just to be certain though, I recommend that you undergo several more jumps, earn a license, buy gear, and continue testing as long as your finances can manage. ;)B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Sensory overload is the way I descibe my first jump. My heart wasnt beating, I wasnt breathing. Nothing was moving but my eyes, and they were fluttering. Then my mind kicked in and told myself to start breathing. One breath, then another, and another. After that it was a big haze. I think it is normal to not remember too much about your first jump or two. I didn't get a video of my first jump. Sometime I wish I did, so I can see the look on my face.

Welcome to skydiving:)

Nate

You dont need a parachute to skydive, but you will need one to skydive twice.

Yep. Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Welcome to the sport and the forums. I had the same experience as a student. My instructor would ask me how I thought my jump went and I could not recall anything. The more jumps I made, the more I could remember. Blue Skies!

In Christ
Dave Smith

Hi bubbadrop,

My first jump was like your first jump, except that I was in my first AFF level. I f*cked up everythin.. Did the wrong exit command, merely responded in freefall and even forgot to pull my canopy! I regained consciousness when i was under my canopy my aff-instructor had deployed and only thought: "What the hell was that? I didn't do anything! Is this really the right sport for me?" In the second jump i managed everything and hadn't to redo any aff level either..
I should have done a tandem before, that would have prepared me better for freefall. :S
I have my first jump on video and it's always a good laugh to show it to my friends.. The expression in my face looked like i was really stoned...

So, you see.. don't worry about your first jump. I think everyone knows how you feel.

Good luck,

Max

I had ahead start on the sensory overload, on the way to the drop zone we were passing towns called
fishKILL,plateKILL.catsKILL, then about 4 cemetaries.
I get all geared up then manifest garbled something
and 30 or 40 people ran out to the peas. They were
doing a memorial for someone who went in. Very
comforting. Then as we left the door, one nanosecond later we were flaring. My eyes were open the whole time (video) but I think my brain fell out.
It all came back to me after consuming an amount
of beer that I didnt think I was capable of doing.

This sport is second to none.

Enjoy,be smart & be safe

I made my first tandem on 4-4-2004. While my experience was different from yours, I too, have some blackout. My instructor noted that I had "great awareness during freefall". I think most of the blackout, of course, was at exit. I think I was looking for ground rush which of course does not happen. I just remember brain meltdown. I have been remembering flashes all week, particularly the freefall turns. After a couple of beers, I have found myself going into fits of laughter thinking about it all. I'm not usually like that - pretty serious and contemplative. I recommend another jump yesterday. I'm shooting for Sunday, 4-11-04.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

The only thing I remember about my first tandem, is praying the tandem instructor would stop with the damn corksrew turns. I thought I was going to hurl. Other than that....it's a blur. Thankfully, I had it videotaped. Too much adrenalin and endorphins pumping I reckon. :)

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."