skydreamerxxx

frustration & anxiety

I am new to the sport & have 21 jumps, 47 years old, I love this sport, the people, and what its done for me, it has added so much to my life, & this is my first post, the problem I am having is landing, or rather crashing, I am starting to feel beat up, I continuosly flare early or late, the timing of the flare seems to be a split second sensitive thing, I have read and talked about it and all I keep hearing is that it takes practice. B|

Welcome. . .

I have 18 jumps and just started standing my landings. . .don't look at the ground directly beneath you. . .pick a spot on the horizon and use the 2-stage flare. . .that way if you start the flare too high you can hold till you get closer to the ground then you full-brake and stop. . .should help some. . .

Course I am a newbie and DEFINITELY not an expert. . .talk with some instructors on your DZ. . .ask them to watch your landings and give you pointers. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Hey Dude, need just a little more information to help you out. What kind of main are you flying, are you on student radio still?? Perhaps you need a ground instructor to help you out. Sounds like your confidence is taking a beating. Will check back and try to help. ;)

The Sky is NOT the Limit, the Dirt Is!!

Skydiving threatening to take over your life too heh? ;):PB|

As for the landings... I'm no coach but if you are flying an F1-11 canopy (porous) then try flaring more smoothly instead of rushing it. If you have a ZP canopy then definitely two stage flare and don't rush the second stage! I came in quite fast in Eloy this new year, surfed a little and then flared hard - went straight back up!:$B| ended up dropping about 5 feet and looking a little foolish...:o not a drama - but definitely better the stand up...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Yes it takes practice and you don't have much experience. So turn to those that do and a good video camera. Get someone on the ground to start videoing every landing you have. Also talk to your previous instructors, S&TA, DZO for coaching. However - pick one or two personal that you feel comfortable with. If you listen to 5 different instructors, you will get 5 different techniques.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/education.asp
Performance Designs one of the largest manufacturers of skydiving canopies has a wonderful site to many articles about canopy and canopy control.

USPA at www.uspa.org Section 6 of the SIMS manual is another source.

Welcome to the forums! :)
You might want to post your question in the Safety and Training Forum where more people will see it. Make sure you post that you are flying a F-111, it makes a big difference in the advice that you need.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am in the same boat (55) jumps also 47 yrs old.
Landing issues?? Yup. Scott made a good post
"feet and knees together" We are not too old to
skydive but it sucks to learn at 47 as we dont bounce
back as quick after a crash & burn. Good luck brother
***don't pet the swetty things

It's kind'a the same learning curve as most sports, scuba diving, snow skiing... after a while something "clicks" and you think "oh, that is what they were talking about" a while later you are telling other people "don't worry, practice a lot and it will work"

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" -Groucho Marx-
"Tom flies like a rock" -Tom Carson-

Sorry to hear about your landings. From what I have heard, take the Canopy course. It's going to help you more than anything else.

Take your time on landings, sounds like you have taken to some hard landings so many times you are expecting it, which is probably helping to cause it.

In the air practice your flares, pull down on the toggles just to where you feel that you are planning out and not dropping or rising. Just keep trying this high up, then when you get down to the ground do the same thing. I think if you practice it enough up high you'll get more confident and get a better feel for how the canopy flies with your inputs.

Be safe.

PcCoder.net

my loading is approx 1.0 to 1

Geeezuuss. So you are jumping a student rig that has a 200 sq ft. F111 parachute? Any idea how many jumps are on the canopy?

Most student canopies that are F111 are 260 - 288 sq. ft.

If the canopy has a good number of jumps on it, then the flare is compromised. Note: I am not suggesting that it is old. Just asking the question.

With little flare on a 1:1 wing loading on F111. Your landings are going to suck.

May I offer to hook you up with a demo? PM me. I would like to talk to you and your instructors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I can certainly commiserate with you. Landings can beat the hell out of ya.

I hope you are finding some of the advice helpful. Have you also considered getting a bit more radio help? It may be useful to you to have an instuctor set you up or flare you for a few times until you have a better idea. I know it may not be the "coolest" thing to do after having been off student status, but if you are really having that much difficulty, it is a suggestion. In the long run, better to be in one peice than to be "cool".

Good luck.
Que sera sera

I am starting to feel beat upB|

You are probably more athletic than I am, but I've found in my first year of "rolling with it" that staying relaxed and paying attention are key. Every landing is different because there are so many variables. What has helped me the most is serious ground prep before jumping, and a good debrief after with a coach who watched my canopy flight and landing. Also, I started wearing leg weights routinely every day (except when I'm jumping) to strengthen my legs and ankles.
The horizon is a circle.

Get the video "Fly Like a Pro" and study the section on landing large, F-111 mains--if that is what you're using. They do Not fly like zp's, and flaring them just takes practice. Also, yours may be worn out, making matters worse. Stick with it--you'll get there!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy