wisdom62

Starting AFF Next Week

Hows it Going Everyone, Wanted to say hi to everyone on in this forum. I'm hitting up my first AFF class next week, I'm completely Stoked about it. Really looking forward to becoming a Fulltime Skydiver. Any tips on buying my first rig? I'm researching all types and have found some i like. Anyone have any recomendations on gear, I'm 6'1 and 180lbs. Thanks for the help. PeaceB|

Good luck on your AFF. I'm just a newbie too, having completed my AFF recently. I say concentrate on your AFF and then your license and worry about buying gear later. Try out lots of different rigs first, then talk with the instructors or other jumpers when it's time to buy.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Add another "welcome!"
Sounds cool that you're so excited about learning to fly!

I have 58 jumps and about 10 of them are on a rig I bought very recently. (Yes, it's my first, and I bought beer.) I waited a while, in part because I wasn't finding an abundance of appropriate rigs to buy used. I let a lot of people around my DZ know that I was in the market, and people actually brought rigs to me to check out. I ended up buying one that was just handed to me with a "try this on" and no other explanation. As I was unquestioningly putting it on, I asked the guy, "Um, since I'm trying this on I might as well ask you: am I doing this because it's, maybe, offered for sale?" He said, "Exactly!" and from there I got opinions on the rig from our rigger and other instructors. (It was a nearly new container, in fact.) I got what I felt was really reliable and trustworthy guidance about it -- to the point where I was instructed to NOT buy the main that came with it, but to ask if I could leave that out and get a different one. That's what I did. I ended up with a Javelin J2 and a Lotus 170, and I'm quite happy.

I do also think that pre-AFF is a little bit too soon to be making plans and checking out rigs. You don't yet know how to pack, you probably don't know your way around the anatomy of a rig, either. In short, there is muuuuuch you will be learning in the next few weeks or months that will aid you in making a decision on a rig so that you don't end up wishing for a new one too soon after purchase.

Good luck, be safe, and have a load of fun! ;)

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"