sundance

Swift Reserves

Can anyone provide any information about Swift Reserves? I understand the company is out of business now. I bought my first rig last fall after completing AFF during the spring and logging about 55 jumps on rental gear over the summer, Javelin Container w/ Sabre 190 and a 170 Swift reserve. I have 80 jumps now. I just want to learn as much as I can about the reserve in my container for obvious reasons.
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Para flight is not out of business and far as I know. they have just stopped building sport gear. the swift is a good enough reserve in that it will open will and land you O.K. It is not as good as some reserves on the market but not as bad as others. I would not sweat it. It will do what you want

Kevin,
Thanks for the feedback and perspective. It is a Swift Plus 175. I just double checked it. Manufactured in October 1992. Nice to know what to expect if/when I ever have to rely upon it.
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

I just thought about something. Are you talking about the Swift Plus reserve or the Swift 5 cell? there is a big difference between them and the Swift Plus is a MUCH better canopy

Do they both have those brakelines? Or 5 cell Swift only? Can't remember.
Might be enough to give you a heart attack if you don't know about those and see lines flapping around on your reserve... :S

Swifts, both 5 and 7 cells, are quite common on my DZ, although I think mainly in CReW gear, for some reason :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Swift Plus does not have the brake lines that come loose after unstowing.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Para-Flite is still in business, but they only sew canopies for the military market now.

Original (circa 1981) 5-cell (180 square foot) Swifts are now considered passe' because of their funky, fly away brake lines. There was one service bulletin affecting ribs on 5-cell Swifts. If yours was updated, it will be written on the center tail.

Seven-cell Swift Plus reserves (145, 175 and 245) are totally different canopies, indistinguishable at arm's length from other early-1990s reserves. There is only one service bulletin affecting some bartacks on Sift Plus reserves. While I must have packed a hundred Swift Plus reserves, I have never found a loose bartack. My only caveat about Swift Plus reserves is to not load them much more than 1.1 pounds per square foot, but then I do not advocate loading any 1990 vintage reserve much more than that.

Just landed my 5-cell Swift for the second time last Saturday. The first time was 10-11 years ago. I DO remember uttering a couple of expletives when I checked out the canopy after opening the first time and seeing those "loose" lines.

B| Thank you to all for your posts and the information you provided to my question. The recent first hand experiences were helpful as well. This is a great place to learn.
Blue skies,
Rodger

Seven-cell Swift Plus reserves (145, 175 and 245) are totally different canopies

A couple other sizes also. I had a swift plus 200, and now have a 225. Great openings and landings. They seem to have plenty of kevlar reinforcement tape.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Rigger Rob, can you elaborate on the differences in 145, 175 adn 245 Swift's, aside from the obvious size differences. Curious.
Thanks

The whole world is nothing but you