SlyFox

From paratrooper to skydiver

Steve,
How is it going? Went to Arabic language school with a Cpt, I think was out of Kansas. Did you switch groups after they deactivated the reserve SF? Our you part of the SF association out of Kansas City? I belong to Chapter 27 out of St. Louis. Retired myself in July,2000

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Nah, I still belong to Chapter 26 out of Baltimore. When they deactivated the reserve SF, it only affected the 11th and 12th GPs on the Army Reserve side of the house, not the 19th or 20th Gps in the National Guard. I was with an element of the 20th out of MAryland.

I moved from Maryland to Kansas City in 1994, and commuted bact to Baltimore on drill weekends for 5 years. It was worth it to stay with SF.

No, by the time those missions in Central America came along, my A-team days were long over and I was the guy putting the pins in the map. I did some work in Europe in the late 70s and 80s, and in Japan in the early 90s.

The 20th GP was activated during the first gulf war. Many of the medics and engineers, along with anyone language qualified in middle eastern languages were shipped out to help the Kurdish refugee situation. The rest of the group, including myself, remained at Bragg.
It wasn't very exciting duty, but did offer ample opportunity to visit Raeford.

Hello, ex paratrooper! I made my first jumps at Fort Bragg with the 82nd Airborne Jump Club, 21 years ago. My ex husband was a paratrooper at the time. He and his buddies would get together and talk about their jumps and the energy level in the room would sky rocket. It was then that I knew I had to try it. Made 5 SL jumps and 4 freefalls. Got to a 10 sec delay and found out I was pregnant. Made my last jump pregnant and didn't know it. Well, that was the end of that until this past June. My children are now grown and both in college and I felt that I could get back into it now..........there's nothing like it! I live in Indidna and can't wait until spring. I'm on AFF 4 but will have to repeat at least one jump after the winter off........oh well! Welcome!!

Welcome back into the sport. So technically one of your kids has done a tandem jump. I can't wait till spring myself. May try to get out this weekend if the weather stays above freezing and the winds don't get too high.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Thank You! Well, actually, he made a 10 second delay jump. They didn't offer tandems then, but, he did go with me in August and made a tandem jump. He is in college and also drives race cars (Midgets and Silver Crown Cars). He told me that I put adrenaline into his veins before he was born, so I'm probably responsible.......lol:)[:/].

Lori
My oldest daughter will be 18 in October and is planning to do a tandem, her birthday present. It will be a great experience to share with her. My children have heard plenty of stories of my experiences in the service, this is one that I can share.

Bob

Lol.........yes it will be! Be sure to get a video with the two of you on the same load. I'm so glad I shared the experience with my son. I went out first because I didn't think my heart could stand watching him exit, he exited last of about 6 I think. I walked (ran) up to him after he landed and I got the biggest hug ever! We went home, went out on the lake, and spent the afternoon talking about it. Was was sincerely a precious moment. We will both remember it always.

Hi,
Another paratrooper here, class of '69. Started jumping again in '94 with the Phantom Airborne Brigade at ZHills doing static line jumps from the Otter. Also did some air shows jumps from a C-47. Started jumping squares in 2000 and love it.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Skydiving!

Hi Lori and Hello again Bob. My 19 y/o daughter make her first jump back in Oct. Three S/L's. Watching her was such a thrill. She was four when she first had an interest in jumping with me We were stationed at Fort Bragg, NC too. Makes a parent real proud, doesn't! Her video is great, I watch it all the time!

In Christ
Dave Smith

Hey Dave
Cool photo, can't wait till that is me and my daughter. I'm sure when I get the video it will be the first thing I show anyone that comes over. Is she working toward her A license?

Hi Dave,

Thank you for including me in your post. My daughter, age 23, will not even go WATCH her brother race or watch me jump :(......lol. She said that if she saw anything happen to either of us, it would be the end of her. She is probably the most sane of my little family:S. She's a classical violinist studying the perfroming arts, and you know how those musicians are.........lol. Great picture of you and your daughter! Fort Bragg got into us all didn't it. Watching mass jumps was quite a beautiful sight with all those parachutes in the air, equipment drops......somehow it seems to get into your blood and you never get over it.

Went through jump school 1967.
"I don't care how many skydiver you've got, until you have stepped into complete darkness at 800' wearing 95 lbs. of equipment, and 45 lbs of parachute, son you are a leg"
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I always in enjoyed the night jumps. Didn't mind the ruck during the jump, but always hated the ride with the ruck on your legs. I couldn't wait for the door to open, or better yet the tail gate, waddle to the end and fall out.

Jumping is awesome...jumping with your children adds another bond that is difficult to match.

I took my son for AFF on his 18th B-day, my youngest daughter (who is terrified of heights) did a tandem after watching us jump a couple times. She was 20 at the time. I must say that it was indeed a thrill to share the exuberance following their first jumps!

My two older daughters think we're all mad, and I had to sleep with one eye open after my daughter jumped... had spent years prepping the wife for my sons jumping, but never expected or planned on my daughters decision to try it.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

It seems my daughter is more excited about jumping then my son. Although my son has spent more time on the DZ with me, mostly to do video work from the ground. He hurt his legs in basic training, won't be healed up till around mid summer. Hopefully he'll jump then, he wants to jump with a friend, but most of his friends don't have the money for the jump.

So when does your DZ open back up? The weather here hasn't been too bad, but haven't got up yet this year. I was hoping to last weekend but the plane was down.

It's slated to open March 20th. Lol.......I have a new plan. I have "volunteered" to work as a part time "stand in" in manifest. Nothing scheduled, but if someone wants a day off, they will ask if I can work it. Workin my way into "the loop" you might say. That way I can get to know everyone quicker. There's a meeting Feb 28th for employees, and if by chance the weather is suitable, we're all going to go make a jump........yahoo!

Oh, did you see my thread on Skydiving in Mexico? Did I tell you I made a jump while down there on vaction? I did a tandem, I haven't got my own equipment, or my license for that matter, so I did a tandem and landed on the clothing optional beach in Playa Del Carmen..........it was great!! The scenery was absolutely amazing!B|

Tried digging through some old photo of military jumps. Was hoping to find some with full gear and cramped in the aircraft. I couldn't find any but thought I'd post a couple with just the rigs on, a.k.a. as fun jumps or hollywood jumps.