mlv

freefall virgin . . .

i will shortly be starting an AFF course,
any last minute invaluable words of wisdom ?

:ph34r: :)

Yes Relax!

Easy to say, but a little tougher to do.

Have confidence in your instructor, confidence in your training, and confidence in your preparedness. If you have questions or don't understand something, ask. Knowledge is a really great aid to relaxation - you are informed and you are trained.

The actual free-fall relax part is being emphasized because as a belly flyer, your arched position is really helped by relaxing in a sense. I know when I started I was going to "shape" by body in the perfect flying position - and that only made it harder. Once I just allowed my body to relax in a box-man position, everything was smooth and stable -

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Everyone's already said "relax," so I don't need to. I'll add "BREATHE." You'll be going to about 13 or 14,000 ft. AGL. The air gets thin up there: take a lot of it. If you hung around long enough up there you'd get euphoric and then probably die or somethin', so don't be shy about breathing deep. My AFP instructor, Dave Cole, used to put his hand on top of mine, hold it and pick it up as we breathed in slowly, lowered it down as we exhaled slowly. We did this three times, then on the third exhalation he would make the hands spiral slowly down. It was a great relaxation aid, and I do it with others now. I think that people are happy when you remind them that they are not breathing normally -- and there's nothing like a skydive to make you forget to breathe normally, especially if you're a bit nervous.

So breathe, breathe, breathe, slowly and deeply. It will help you stay relaxed. Also, when you go into your arch, don't turn rigid like a Pringle's potato chip because it will make you wobble instead of form to the airflow. (I did that on my first couple of jumps and it made me a bit nervous.)

Have a great time! ;)

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

i will shortly be starting an AFF course,
any last minute invaluable words of wisdom ?

:ph34r: :)

Yep - when you have finished, DON'T stop there! don't ever stop!! crack straight on and get WARP done...:P then come and play!!:ph34r:

Enjoy!!B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

On top of everything that's been posted (breath, relax, smile, etc..) Pulling is also a pretty good thing to do.....;):P

Have fun and welcome to the sport

Everyone else already said smile, relax, pull -- have fun that is why you are doing this.

From a physical standpoint, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some stretches and back exercises, to have your muscles in shape for all of the arching that they are going to have you do.

its easy to say relax, but its not that easy when you
begin. The second you get stable dont look down, just look left right, the terrain will take your mind
off the "am I doing this right" look at your instructor
because his is going to be right there in your face. Smile and give him a thumbs up. Once you feel that
you can fly... Its a done deal... prepare for your life
to change.

Be Well, be Safe and Listen