Pick

First Jump.......and an introduction.

I'm Roger, a private pilot, drummer, "sound guy", machinist, racer wannabe (or tried to be?), and generally the quietest guy in the room at any given moment.

A friend suggested that I make the first jump tandem to allow it to "seep in" that I just jumped out of an airplane....it did.....if something can actually "seep in" at terminal velocity!

I LOVED IT!

Here's the story that I rambled into the keyboard after I got home after the first jump Nov. 22.

Front flips at 14,500 feet......... spins through 12,500....... looking for the little orange handle at 6,500.......... actually finding it at around 5,000..... sudden deceleration as the canopy opened (note to self: get the leg straps a bit tighter next time!)(I should have known better...........I've crashed a racecar before, so I know how "snug" straps aren't usually tight enough)......followed by a long graceful (most of the time) canopy ride to a soft landing sliding across the grass on my butt.

I jumped out of a "perfectly good" airplane! OH MY GOSH!

I arrived at the Thomaston-Upson County airport at about 9:00 for a scheduled 10:00 appointment........ filled out the required forms, emptied my pockets, and generally stood around looking out of place while watching experienced skydivers get ready for load #1 to board. The scenery was nice, the skies were clear, and the wind was calm......... it was a gorgeous day to fly........ or skydive.

About the time load #1 had landed, I was introduced to Wendel. A fellow pilot and drummer!.......that was cool! (and oddly comforting)(no drummer jokes, please!)

As we talked and I learned what I needed to know and he found out who talked me into it, he went over the rig with me, and I watched other rigs being packed ......... a short while later I met my photographer Jack; he struck me as an absolutely insane individual, but a very cool one as well. I suited up in my bright yellow canary suit and got strapped into my harness. "10 minutes to load 2" came over the speaker as we got me strapped up tightly (just not quite tight enough.)

We boarded the King Air that looked normal on the outside...we practiced the exit..... and then I was met with purple crushed velvet walls and leopard-print benches?! It was at about that moment that I was thinking THIS IS NUTS! I'm in a King Air that looks like Elvis was the interior decorator....... I have a guy strapping himself to my back ?!, I'm surrounded by an insane photographer, a woman in zebra print, another guy telling me how hypoxia is good (I know what hypoxia is and what it does....... gee thanks.) and the formation team that had been practicing on the ground while I got really nervous, and then there was Randy in the back of the plane just looking goofy.......... the altimeter on my wrist was telling me that we were climbing through 6,500 feet.......... Jack said I was committed (as he called me Randy, then rewound the tape to do a re-take of
the moment)....... I said I ought to be committed! (the idea of a re-take when I'm about to do something that is ultimately unforgiving of mistakes was a little disturbing!)

At 14,500 or so (I didn't want to look) everybody else piled out........ Wendel and I inched along the benches 'til we got to the door where Jack was waiting to film the exit........ one........ two........ THREEEEEEE........... and I'm flipping through the air............... THAT was KEWL!......... until I felt a tap on my shoulder telling me that it's time to arch so we can stabilize the free-fall. Kewl.......... maybe "relaxing" in the arch will be easier next
time? (on the video, my "arch" has more of a gun-shot canary sort of look)

We arch, Wendel pulls my head up ('cause I'm staring at the ground!)......I look up, and there's a helmet-mounted camera in my face! I'm hinkin' "Oh great! Don't look stupid!" (yeah right!)..........with one of those grins that couldn't be chiseled off. (it shows well on the video........man I look STOOPID.) (Jack Nicholson as "The Joker" comes to mind.)

As we approach 6,500 on the altimeter, Wendel stuck his altimeter in my face and tapped on mine to remind me to find the handle and pull.......... I felt all around my hip for the little orange handle and couldn't find it....then he yelled "PULL!".....then, finally, I had to look down to find it and pull. (which I SHOULD have done in the first place I guess.)

Elevator going up.........actually it wasn't up, it was just not going down at terminal velocity anymore....... but it felt like UP when the straps grabbed hold. (ouch!)

Then it was calm.......... peaceful......... the view was INCREDIBLE....... as we were just riding the chute, he asked me if it was better than playing drums on stage.......... I don't know the answer to that one. I 'ping' when I'm playing in front of a crowd that's into it........ but this was different........... then my ears began to hurt, so I tried to clear 'em......... no luck...... put my fingers through the loops............ pull the left handle, turn left.......pull harder........ turn left REALLY hard round and round......... KEWL! (but ouch again).........turn right now....... harder.... round and round again....... KEWL! (ouch again though!)........ practice a couple of flares........ I can do this!....... there's Atlanta............. turn this way, there's Griffin........ the airport is looking bigger now....... there's Ron Alexander's DC-3 beneath my feet......... downwind.......... turn back into the wind for "final"......... feet together and out....... FLARE.......... and a sliding stop on my butt.

WICKED! (and I DID IT! all rolled into a bundle with belief, disbelief, confusion, clarity, THANK GOD!, and ADRENALINE!!!!!!!!!!!.)

About the time I stood up, I realized that my ears hadn't ever equalized and they were still up at altitude somewhere.........it was excruciating! The video still shows a grin that can't be chiseled off. Talk about an adrenaline buzz!!!!!!

I watched a few more loads go up (and come down)......... and ended up leaving around 12:30 or so........... absolutely buzzing.......... but in need of Tylenol.... and food (I didn't eat anything before I went).... my ears hated it........ I LOVED IT. (my ears finally did equalize.........but it took awhile.........)

Someone reminded me to be careful driving home.........I found that funny, only because I understand it all too well.

Jack and Wendel were great to jump with! I must start AFF SOON!

Welcome to the forums! :) Hope you decide to start AFF soon, I'm sure you'll like it given the other activities you listed that you do. You picked a good dz to do it at too!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome to the forums! :) Hope you decide to start AFF soon, I'm sure you'll like it given the other activities you listed that you do. You picked a good dz to do it at too!

OK, so maybe "quiet" is relative.......I don't talk much if I can help it.

AFF starts when the weather cooperates.

don't worry about the ears. On my first jump I had the same problem, and a headache for hours. 20 jumps later I've never had the problem again.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

OK, so maybe "quiet" is relative.......I don't talk much if I can help it.

yeah me too, however, I CANNOT help it so . . .:P.

Congrats on the jump. Get into AFF and jump every weekend if you can even in the cold, you gotta. It is necessary to live. Trust me. . . :S