skydvrz

New kid on the block

Hello everyone!

I have been jumping for a couple years now but am new to this forum. My home DZ is Perris, where you'll find me every other weekend or so, finances permitting (or not) :D

I have 360 jumps in my logbook and recently got my D-license. Back in September I did my first HALO jump from 30,000 feet at Skydance, near Davis, Calif. That was a jump to remember! 2 minutes of freefall, and I got up to 170 MPH on my belly! The view was awesome - while doing a slow turn in freefall, I could see all of the San Francisco bay, including the Golden Gate bridge, plus all of Sacramento. Man is it cold up there!
I can't wait to try it again someday!

Check out my pictures at:

http://idk.serveftp.net:81

Sorry, no pictures in freefall - it was pretty extreme with the safety precautions, oxygen masks, bailout bottles and whatnot. Not much room for cameras.

Anyway, I hope to get to know some of you folks and maybe do some jumps together someday.

----------------------
I'll think of a really cool and witty signature later.

I'm new to the forum myself. I'm on the other side of the U.S., Myrtle Beach, SC. My high altitude experience has been at WFFC, not the 30k jumps but still pretty cool. The world is a different place that high. How many points? I jumped with one crowd and we really sucked!!!! It was still fun!
May the only blue in your life be the sky you are in!

Hey skydvrz, welcome. Was your high altitude jump a military or civilian sport jump? Was wondering since you referred to it as a HALO. I am retired military and we were going to do a high altitude in Texas a number of years ago; went through the altitude chamber and course at Brooks AFB but unfortunately the jump never came off due to aircraft problems. Oh well, maybe some day. Take it easy and see you around....

How many points? I jumped with one crowd and we really sucked!!!! It was still fun!

Zero points - The four of us on the load were strongly advised against doing anything other than solos by the JM. For one, exits are a problem since the pilot was having problems keeping the plane in the sky. The load before us went up to 32K and had a little tail-stall problem. Anyway, the JM had us exit one at a time with *very wide* spacing to give the pilot time to recover straight and level flight.

The fall rate at 30K is pretty horrendous, so it would take some superior flying to do widely separated diving exits and actually meet up with someone before pull time ;)

----------------------

Was your high altitude jump a military or civilian sport jump?

Sport jump. Wish it was military - the price would have been much more favorable.

***altitude chamber and course at Brooks AFB

Brooks is just down the road from Lackland isn't it? I went through basic training there many moons ago. I am ex-USAF, 1972-1979. Never go to fly - I was in tactical and long haul communications.

I took my altitude chamber ride at Beale AFB, up near Sacramento earlier this summer. That was a lot of fun! I was the only skydiver in the class, but there were a few jump pilots there so it wasn't too bad.

The USAF has closed most of the altitude chambers around the country, so it was a long drive for me up to central California. There used to be one at Edwards (about 90 minutes from my house), but I hear they are now using the chamber as an office!

----------------------

Brooks is just down the road from Lackland isn't it? I went through basic training there many moons ago. I am ex-USAF, 1972-1979. Never go to fly - I was in tactical and long haul communications.

Yes it sure is; San Antonio. Did my basic at Lackland also in '76; it's still the only basic training base for Air Force

Anyway, your 30k jump sounds awesome. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to finally get one in myself someday. Take care Skydvrz and I'll be seein' ya around the forums here I'm sure....