kuwait_is_hell

Anyone jumping at Umm al Quwain?

Hi all,

Fairly new to skydiving. I learnt in sunny South Africa and got my A-license in August last year. Promptly bust my arm two weeks later. But I got back into it.

I'm now holed up in Kuwait and as soon as I get my residency I can travel. Nearest DZ is in the Arab Emirates at Umm al Quwain so I will be heading over there asap. If anyone has been there, would like to know what it's like. I spend my free time otherwise between the UK and South Africa (Witbank - friendly DZ).

Blue skies

Hi Steve,

I hope to jump there some time in February. It is the only DZ in this region - apart from Israel. Will let you know what it is like.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan,

Until recently UAQ had been my home DZ - well at least for the past 6 years or so - I was living in Saudi.

They have a Grand Caravan and a new KingAir just arrived. The jumpers are an international band of folks who jump as much as they can. The last 3 or 4 years had me driving za totaal of 2200 kms for a weekend's jumping.

PM me and I'll get you in to their email-dump communication list/. That way you'll get weekly jump news and make contacts before you get there.

There's a 2 star hotel at the end of the runway, making UAQ an easy place to jump and stay at. If you fly in to Dubai, you just need to pick up a rental car at the airport and drive to the DZ - only 45 minutes.

Anyhow, we'll sort out all via email after you PM me. Your email address is important so I can arrange to drop it into their lists.

Blue Skies,

fergsB|

I may be going there in March, as a girlie can anyone tell me if there are special rules I should be aware of in Dubai?

Not really - Dubai is pretty moderate - but just dress a little conservatively, you won't have a problem.

Will you be jumping?

fergs

'will you be jumping'

Oh yes! depending whats going on probably head up stuff:)

G'day,

Here's a few events coming up at UAQ:

There will be a group of skydivers there from the 10th of Jan for approx. 10 days and then a 2 week record attempt and training camp will take place from the 19 to 28 of April.

Their new KingAir should be ready for jumping any time now.

Blue Skies,

fergs;)

Welcome to the forums and skydiving. Thanks for your service over there. I spent seven months in Abu Dhabi. A very nice city, very scenic right on the Gulf. Never Made to Umm al Quwain. The Pubs in the hotels were great watering holes! Good luck and enjoy.

Dave Smith

In Christ
Dave Smith

Hi Alan
Looked through your posts after reading your review of Skydive Xtreme (my home DZ). Pity about your rough experience there. I've had some really good times there and rate the DZ highly.
I've recently relocated to Saudi and have jumped at UAQ a few times. Also a nice DZ, but a bit quiet now in summer. Are you still in Kuwait? How did you find UAQ?
Cheers
Andre le Roux