purplekittenUK

calling UK - newbie needs help!

Hinton is agreat dz and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it for your AFF. The fact is though that doing your AFF in somewhere like Florida or California is an awesome experience. The benefits are that you can expect to complete your course in 3-4 successive days. The cost is likely to be no more than $1,000 - $1,300. Deland would be my personal choice.

The disadvantages are few...

I heard it mentioned before that some UK folks consider hopping over the channel and doing some AFF in France. You can take a look at the dropzone listings for France over here.
I'm not sure if France necessarily has any advantages though, weather or otherwise.

You may also consider other conmmonwealth countries too.
At current exchange rates you could do AFF in South Africa for about £720 UK, which includes rental gear and video.
Of course South Africa is a little further away and you would still have accomodation and logistical costs to consider.
Whichever way you go, I hope you find the skies to your liking. ;)

Why metalslug ?
Taken from a computer arcade game: "Super Vehicle 0001 - Metal Slug.
..refering to the heavy tank bullet used in the game.
The game starts with an animated graphic of a character parachuting down (see my avatar image) and it just kind of came to mind as a name to use here.:)

Welcome to the forums! :)Deland. Last week, I think we had about 20 of them all doing some kind of jump course together. Apparently the flights are pretty inexpensive to come over here. Once you're here, there are bunk houses to stay in or you can camp to keep costs down. Of course, the exchange rate is better for you also.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'd recommend Empuria(north east spain - on the costa brava) - exchange rate to euro means it's gonna be much cheaper than in england, also either easyjet or ryanair flies to Girona from London(stansted I think) for minimal quantities - and you can get a bus from Girona, or fly ryanair to perpignan and get a train to girona. Empuria runs aff courses and there's an BPA instructor set up out there with his own company on site - kevin mccarthy, the free-fall company who also runs aff courses. bunkhouse is only 6euro a night - the place and people are lovely
have fun

Hi there,

Unfortunately most DZ are closed now in France. Many people recommended Spain or Italy to me but make sure they do speak good english cause it's your "first" time. For the AFF I would recommend choosing a english-speaking country for you.
Did my tandem in New Zealand over the landscapes of Lord of the Rings. It was awesome! a bit far maybe? otherwise many people praise Florida here

Good luck and if you decide to do it in spring instead. You're welcome to my DZ near Bordeaux (cheap flights from London to Bordeaux with BA or Air France).
N

Hi there,

Unfortunately most DZ are closed now in France. Many people recommended Spain or Italy to me but make sure they do speak good english cause it's your "first" time. For the AFF I would recommend choosing a english-speaking country for you.
Did my tandem in New Zealand over the landscapes of Lord of the Rings. It was awesome! a bit far maybe? otherwise many people praise Florida here

Good luck and if you decide to do it in spring instead. You're welcome to my DZ near Bordeaux (cheap flights from London to Bordeaux with BA or Air France).
N

why r most french dz's closed now?
is it just for winter or something more sinister :P

Because it's winter and it's cold! my DZ is going to Senegal during the cold season actually. But the DZ in Agen is open until dec 20 (and will jump on neaw year's day) and reopens february 20.

why r most french dz's closed now?
is it just for winter or something more sinister :P

Hi there...

Welcome to the forums. I live in Scotland and has you know the weather is not the nicest one...
But I am going to empuria brava in January to do the AFF. There the weather will be better and I hope I can jump everyday I'll be there! I would very recomend that you try to go there because the flights are cheap (ryanair) and is a great DZ (so I've been told). Im also in constant contact with my instructor (from the UK) he is very supportive and we are flying over together. Check his website www.activeskydiving.co.uk

I live in London but I did my AFF in Italy - Ravenna this summer.
I was jumping there last weekend and it was cold but ok. Actually we had a lot of fun ;)
I know it's open only on weekends now, not sure if you can do an AFF in 2 days.
Don't hesitate to ask for any info!

I did my AFF in the UK more years ago than I care to admit. At the time it didn't occur to me that it'd be possible to do it abroad. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do AFF over here now - the cost of skydiving in this country means that for the same price as a UK course you should be able to pay for your flight, accommodation and training in sunnier climes where you have a much better chance of qualifying quickly. Bit of a no-brainer, I think.

The other thing I would say is that if you're going to travel, think about going somewhere that the weather is virtually guaranteed - even if that increases your costs and flight time. There are great dropzones in Europe but at this time of year there's always that element of uncertainty. My dz of choice is Eloy in Arizona, where they fly in excess of 340 days a year.

The DOWNside of learning abroad is that you get spoiled. Coming back all licensed up to a UK winter... ugh.[:/]

Did my AFF in Seville....skydive spain...the weather was a sure thang and the DZ staff alot more relaxed than the ones I have seen on the UK scene
Note: relaxed does not mean less capable or safe......The CCI is the best Rigger in the UK and a great fella to boot...as are the rest of the staff
had a great time...and just got back from there after a progession trip for FS1.

They did me good...at a better price to the UK and I had a blast.....the 'intensity' of doing the course over a short period of time DEFINATELY helped

Skydive spain.....IS my true home DZ!!

Have fun! wherever

I can recommend Empuria Brava but don't stay in the bunk-house. It was infested with fleas when I was there in August last year. Excellent planes - very quick to altitude.

Can also recommend South Africa - cheaper than Spain and better weather this time of year. I can give you a contact as I have jumped with these people before. I did the whole AFF for around 500 pounds. Air fare is around 500 pounds too and there are several DZ around Johannesburg. Try [email protected]. (Erna Goosen) Her husband is an instructor based in Jo'burg and they operate from a couple of DZs there.

Enjoy!

I also did my AFF in South Africa, I manged to finish it quite quickly cause the weather was pretty good, I could have done it quicker if there was more people to jump, I was doing it during the week and there wasn't always enough people to fill the plane so had to wait around a lot. I am sure it would be alright if I went to a bigger DZ were there were more people jumping.

M.J

Well thanks for all of that! I've torn between skydive zone and skydive spain at the moment, still looking into South Africa though! Must've looked at about 20 different ways and places so far...still i'm hoping to go feb time so getting really excited!!!
Only thing is its looking like im going to have to go on my own, so if anyone is waiting to take the plunge and do their aff- or knows anyone, let me know!
x
:P

Hi

I posted the same question in another forum, I've been checking out all the possibilities and I'm swaying towards Spain to complete AFF. I've done a couple of S/L's here and gonna try to reach cat5 then transfer to AFF level 3.
I've got a good few details, if you want me to forward links etc. then please PM me.
:)
Blue skies (behind the dark clouds)[:/]
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk

I did my AFF in Spain at Empuria Brava and loved every minute of it. I would definately recommend it. And you can get flights to Barcelona from Gatwick or Stansted for around 20-30 quid depending when you go! The cost of the course is a hell of a lot cheaper than jumping in the UK too. The only problem I found from doing it abroad though is that once you come back to the UK its a little bit harder to settle into a dropzone as you're not 'their' student.

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

Everyone seems pretty down in the dumps about doing AFF in the UK and, well, I can sort of understand why with the crappy weather etc - but there are some positive aspects.

The fact is you're probably likely to be jumping in the UK a lot when you get qualified - by learning with Brit AFF instructors you will probably get great ongoing support from them. If you learn with a foreign team, it's probably just not going to be as easy to pick up the phone and call them if you have a question when you come home.

I was very lucky in that the period I chose to do my AFF last summer - was probably the best couple of weeks worth of weather we've had in 2 decades in the UK. I finished AFF in about 6 days .. and by the following weekend had completed my cons jumps and had my Cat 8.

Hanging around "my" dropzone, meeting people, making new friends - seeing how stuff is done, during that time was extremely rewarding. AFF is a pretty intense experience and there's a certain bond that AFF students all experiencing the same emotions tend to develop.

The DZ feels like "home" and I can't help but smile whenever I jump in the car to go there. The support I've had from my instructors since - who have helped me with every single question about the sport .. has been absolutely invaluable.

So... I'll play devils advocate and say .. either do your AFF in the UK .. or perhaps consider getting the best of both worlds and get some British AFF instructors (who will inevitably drag out some other people from your local DZ for some fun) to go out to Spain with you .. you'll have a blast.

A point on the weather: I personally, don't see a tremendous amount of mileage in doing AFF in a hot country in the winter - getting qualified - just to come home and find out it won't be practical to jump anyway until later in the year when the weather picks up. Nothing will frustrate you more than being a fully qualified skydiver and not being able to jump for a while .. IMHO .. March is a great time to do AFF .. get qualified .. then waaheey .. summer's on it's way :-)

J