mnobles

fear of flying

Thrilled to have found this forum and hope to be a good contributer over time.

Help me, please! I've jumped four times. I've got a bad, bad problem that's threatening to stop me cold.

First time was perfect--AFF w/o flaws. Visualization mantra stemmed all nervousness in preflight minutes and ascent. Jump was no problem--just do the stuff! 100%.

Second jump--new AFF jumpmaster on reserve. An asshole. Two hours late to field, angry, rushed, yelling (no, make that bellowing) at wife while I was getting into aircraft to dive with him. I was so unsettled that I totally, totally blew 2nd jump.

Third jump--panic on ascent, but good. Fourth jump--panic on ascent, but perfect. Fifth jump attempt--panicked on runway, stopped plane, got off.

CURRENT NEED FOR HELP: I realize that the ascent and door opening scare the life out of me. I'm fine once I get out, but all the way up, I'm scared. It doesn't help that I had a really, really bad jump the second time and had felt the same panic on the way up but ignored it. I think I'm associating. But I also have the ascent and door-opening panic anyway. On my first jump, visualization of the planned freefall was like meditation. How do I overcome this panic? Aggressiveness? Mental logic? Meditation?

Pul-leaze provide insight. I jump again next Saturday and am afraid I'll blow it before I ever get to dive.

Thanks,
Mindy

Mindy

I think that was totally inappropriate of your reserve jumpmaster, and it's no wonder you had a bad jump. [:/]

I just completed level 5 last weekend. On each jump the nervousness is a little less. For me, I just go over the jump in my mind several times. I take a few deep breaths and notice how beautiful it is out there. B|

-Michele
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

What do you mean by blew the jump? If you are fit to be on a plane after you "blew" a jump, you had a good jump.

Don't be thinking I did'nt do what I had to do on this jump(according to the dive flow), every jump you make teaches you something.

Don't let the dive flow overwhelm you. By your definition I did'nt get the turn jumps(STP/AFP jumps 2 thru 4) right at all. However each jump has helped me relax. I am slowly gaining body position awareness and more importantly am able to relax during the skydive.

About being scared, I don't know what to do. I am sure everyone here was a little nervous at some point. It's normal.

Good luck !! I hope you get over the panic.

Welcome to skydiving! Do you know what your fear is when you are on the plane? What are you afraid of? I can tell you that every AFF jump I did made me nervous and it was always in the back of my mind that I could stay on the plane if I wanted to. I never did. I was afraid of failing a level and of killing myself. The fear can be conquered, really. Just be sure you are jumping because you want to and not because you feel like you have to.

It's hard to give a suggestion on how to relax because it differs for everyone. Some people might feel better laughing and talking on the way to altitude or enjoying the view. Throughout AFF, I would visualize the entire jump from exit to landing and do it again and again until it was time to go. It also helped me to take a few deep breaths (in through the nose, out through the mouth) before exiting.

You can do this. If you want it, it is definitely possible. Don't let a bad jump rule your future in skydiving. It was a bad jump, it sucked, but it's over. Let it go so that you can put yourself fully into your next few jumps. You are in control, not your fear.

Remember ---> SKYDIVING IS FUN! Who cares if you have to repeat a jump? It's all good and it only gets better.:)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Hi Mindy and Welcome to the forums.

Its perfectly normal to be scared about jumping from a plane...Thats one of the reasons why we do it I believe...for the rush. Usually the anxiety will lessen with more jumps...but somedays are better or worst than others.

Is there a particular part of the skydive that causes your panic?...What are u thinking about on the accent and door opening?....Are you scared of the plane ride or a possible mal during your jump? Try and narrow down the reason for your fear...then address that part of the skydive.

Planning every aspect of your skydive and rehearsing it(including emegency proceedures) should help....if your feeling overwhelmed about advancing and trying new things..back it up....redo a level..have a fun jump..do something you have already done and feel comphy doing.

Hope this helps....and talk to your instructors about it....they can offer more in person than we can online. B|

Thanks, Andrea, and all of you who have made supportive posts here. It helps me to know this is probably just a normal stage.

A couple of you ask exactly what it is that makes me fight panic. I'd like to try to describe it and get some feedback about it. It's like this: I jump from a Cessna 182 and ride in the student's position on the floor next to the pilot, back against the front panel. I'm sitting on the floor in this vulnerable little fetal position, kind of looking up at everyone else. I can't see out the window because I'm not quite tall enough. I'm pretty much immobile because of my heavy student's rig. I feel helpless, trapped, or not in control--something like that. Then, when the door opens, I'm RIGHT next to it--not six or even three inches away but right there--and feeling that way. At that point, it just feels like I'm in grave danger, which I know is completely irrational. It starts getting better when we start the exit, maybe because I can finally DO something. But it's not a good frame of mind to be in at the outset. Once I get into the sky, I'm pretty much fine.

Does that sound abnormal? I'd appreciate your candid feedback. My instructors tell my exits are good, and that my freefall form is excellent. I've performed the dive flow well except on that bad second jump. I keep my head during freefall, except on that jump. But this panic business takes a lot of energy to control, energy I could be putting into concentration or enjoyment, or both.

My instructors have been supportive, BTW, but it's been hard for me to explain this feeling to them as I just did above--maybe I'll print this posting out for them.

Again, thanks so much, all of you. Flygirl03 has also sent me some private postings that have been great.

Mindy

Hey Mindy,

First, welcome to the sport. I am fairly new to it myself but maybe I can help a little. A previous poster had commented about making sure you are doing it because you want to instead of feeling like you have to. Once you have that question answered well then just do whatever it takes to get your self relaxed. I jump with a group of girls, we all started together, so when we are in the plane, we feel pretty comfortable together and I usually yell out a couple of WoooooHooooo's and as silly as it sounds it gets rid of excess nervous energy and takes the edge off. I takes several deep breathes and calm myself and often yell again as I exit. If you drink coffee before you jump, I would also suggest that you don't, I find myself very anxious with caffeine in my system. Also, you did not mention if you have done more than one jump in a day and I will tell you, after the first one the next are much easier and more relaxed, so I would advise trying to do 2 or 3 of your next jumps in the same day, it makes a lot of difference when I jump. I hope some of this helps, good luck with your future jumps.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Thanks Melissa for very specific advice and you two guys for some good perspective--it's true that getting out of the plane is a lot better than being in it at this point for me! ;) This forum and some private postings have given me immense encouragement!!! It's also helped me a lot to kind of talk this out in writing. Skydiving is the best thing I've ever done and two miles high is the best place I've ever been. I'm expectant at this point that I'll get past this new guy stuff if I just stick with the sport.

Again, again, my very great thanks.
Mindy

Welcome to the wonderful world of skydiving Mindy:)
I am also a new skydiver with some of the exact same fears you have. On September 12th I wrote a post titled Riding The Plane Down....... The support I received from the Dropzone.com community was tremendous. I initially thought after I rode the plane down for the second time that maybe skydiving isn't for me, maybe I should take up golf!
But after reading the feedbacks and talking to the wonderful people at Deland(I definitely encourage you to talk to the people at your dropzone) I wouldn't want to do anything else. As a matter of fact I was back up in the air three weeks ago and did 2 jumps. It was AWESOME:)
1) "You can't skydive if you don't get off the plane".
2) "Don't worry about perfect exits" Just fall off the plane, then stabilize
3) and one of my favorite responses
" The Butterflies (Ther Hordes of them, that is) will go away, some are leaving with every jump.
Once you do a couple of jumps a day, some are still around to keep you awake, but not to bother you".

Now when I jump I picture those "butterflies" leaving. Mindy good luck in your new adventure You'll love it....

Mindy,

I'm new too, just completed AFF a couple of weeks ago. Here's something that might help. My best friend said something that has stuck with me, "only skydivers know why the birds sing" Think about that for a second.. Maybe this will help you. When you see other jumpers getting ready to exit or watch them exit the door, just think about how happy they are. They are experiencing the freedom that only the birds, and skydivers know know -- they know why the birds sing :)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I jump from a Cessna 182 and ride in the student's position on the floor next to the pilot, back against the front panel. I'm sitting on the floor in this vulnerable little fetal position, kind of looking up at everyone else. I can't see out the window because I'm not quite tall enough. I'm pretty much immobile because of my heavy student's rig. I feel helpless, trapped, or not in control--something like that. Then, when the door opens, I'm RIGHT next to it--not six or even three inches away but right there--and feeling that way.

I would be scared too. That you even Jumped is more than I think I could do from a small airplane.
My 5 jumps have been from an Otter and as I told you, THAT is unnevering to me.
Like you, once Im out the door, Im fine.

In time, Im sure we will both be able to make rides up and our exits without all this anxiety. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Hey guys, this is Mindy under my new moniker SkyKat. Thought I'd get with the program and get a better forum name. This week has been a turning point in my perspective. I see now that my feelings are oh-so-common and will subside with time. And to think I left the field last Saturday fearing I'm not skydiving material. That was a downer. Thanks a final time!! You've been a tremendous help.

Mindy

Looks like you got the encouragement you were looking for already, but just in case, here are the things I did to get over my fear:

I got to know my instructor, the other instructors, and some of the 'regulars' VERY well. It helped me tremendously, because on the ride up, we'd yell stupid jokes at each other, make dumb faces, and practice our dives mentally all the way up. It took up all the time to altitude, and got my mind off of my nervousness. Developing a friendship with the people you will be flying with really helps; you have to like and trust the people you're following out /or are putting you out of the plane! I know for a fact that I can trust the people I exit with, and getting to know them has been invaluable as far as training goes...I learn every time I go to the DZ, and intend to keep that habit up continually.

Jumping more than once a day also helped me LOADS; I always needed that first jump to clear any tiny bit of anxiety, and the second jump on to 'work' on my program. So much more productive that way!

PS, If it helps, I didn't get over the 'Do I really wanna do this?' issue until jump #7. -It's different for everyone. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I ride that position alot and it never really got to me, but I went up with a friend that was doing her spotting for license, and when the door opened she screamed, I thought she was joking so I was laughing, but she never jumped the Cessna before. When we got down I asked her about it, and she said she wasn't sure why it frightened her the way it did, maybe it was just it being such a small plane or the fact that it was so much closer to the ground.
Just remember that you have your gear on, what's the worst that could happen?
A fanatic is someone that can't change his mind, but won't change the subject.

Hi

I've done close on 100 jumps, and started with AFF. But more to the point, I'm a clinical psychologist. There is a relevant psychological phenomena that many people experience which is best seen as a fear of the fear itself. Panic about a skydive is irrational to a large degree. Sure, people hurt themselves and there are fatalities, but as sports go it sees a lot less injuries than other sports that some people see as much safer such as skiing and horse riding. But the experience of panic is so overwhelming that its frightening. As you panic grows so does the suspicion that something terrible is about to happen. Most people that panic think one of the six following things -

1. I am going to pass out
2. I am going to lose control
3. I am going to die
4. I am going to have a heart attack
5. I am going to go crazy
6. I won't be able to breath

Panic is terrifying, so people automatically tend towards avoiding situations in which they might panic, such as being trapped in a small plane.

BUT, panic is a survival response. Therefore it is designed to protect you. Therefore it will not hurt you. If you stick with it without running the panic will go. The reason this happens is because we only have a limited amount of adrenalin, and once its gone its gone.

The more you exposure yourself to the thing you are afraid of (ie anxiety, not skydiving) then the more a sense of mastery you will develop as the anxiety reduces, and it will.

Clearly, having a reserve jumpmaster like that would unnerve most people when they are about to do something so un-natural. But I think it is the diabolical discomfort of being anxious that you are afraid of, and the sense that you will lose control, rather than being in a plane.

If you'd like any more info drop me a line on [email protected]***Die with yer boots on

Dr. Sky Psycho Dude... (DarrenSpooner)

Way cool...
Confront the anxiety ... not the jump...

However it is written, I think this sport is an amazing way to blast into a monumental amount of self confidence. Especially, if it scares the sh*t out of you the first 2 or 3 hundred times... :P

mnobles :
That sucks - This sport can do without the As*holes.
Try to have fun - no matter what. It's your jump, your time, your cash. Make it fun. Jump and smile

My 2 cents - I'll shut up now.

----
Sushi, Sex, and Skydiving - the breakfast of champions

Yeah, but I think the psychoanalysts would have something to say about psychologists who skydive. Angst, penis envy, looney tunes?

...or love of life? I think those that would say that it's penis envy are envious of those having the balls to do it!! ;)

Gee Darren, you'll be hearing from all of us if we run into mental blocks as we progress through our chosen disciplines!! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

just to throw in my two cents - I hate flying, I hate planes, especially small ones, I seem to be ok in an otter, porter, king air - but I'm stuck with a cesna at the mo - my last jump - we let someone out at 5,000 and the door didn't stay up and the whole plane wobbled and shook - I may have screamed and tightly clutched my poor jump partner(who'd never jumped with me - and was suddenly quite worried about this pathetic gibbering wreck beside him! lol)
anyway I reckon I'll get over it in time - life's full of obstacles, an easy way out may just be to do your training at a different dz with a bigger plane (which is not really good advise:S, just something you could consider if things got worse)