cowsuit

Safety - handycam vs outside vid

Hello,

recently i had a discussion with a DZO regarding what is potentially more dangerous - outside video or handicam footage for tandems.

As i went into it and started digging i could always find incidents involving outside video but no incidents that pertain to an instructor wearing a handicam.

What do you think? What is potentially more dangerous? Have you heard of any handcam related incidents or outside videographer related incidents?

Thanks,

-Moo

As i went into it and started digging i could always find incidents involving outside video but no incidents that pertain to an instructor wearing a handicam.

Thats probably because there are a helluva lot more jumps being done with outside video then with a handy cam.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Handycam is safer - as log as you don't get carried away and forget the primary task at hand (get stable, throw drogue, check handles, pull, check canopy, steer, avoid traffic, land softly)

Of course there is a risk of getting into a side spin 'with the wrong side up and the drogue halfway out of the pocket'' but other than that it is a no-brainer / Murphy's second law ('If it can not happen, it will not happen')

Contour HD, Gopro and other camera's are as small and light as your altimeter, the SD-cards can hold several hours of footage & fresh batteries can run for several hours so you can turn them on when you hear 'one minute!'

Do the math.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The debate over which is safer really comes down to the different skill levels of inside versus outside videographers.
One measure of skill is numbers of jumps and the other measure is attitude.

On the one hand, I have seen clumsy outside videographers kick TIs on exit and get grounded for a year. He only had af ew hundred jumps and was keen to demonstrate his "mad skills" on every exit.

OTOH malfunctions involving inside videographers are rarer because they had to survive 500 solo jumps before they could don a tandem rig and another 100 tandem jumps before they were allowed to strap on an inside camer.

Keep in ming that arrogant skydivers - who over-rate their "mad skills" - can ruin any statisical model.
Hah!
Hah!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner and one of the first Canadian TIS to strap on an inside camera.