shortyred919

AFF or AFP

Hey all, I just did my first jump on Sunday with DrStrangelove. It was awesome!! I'm wondering if any of you guys have any opinions on AFP. Our jump was AFF. I've heard a little bit about AFP and understand what it is, but what do you guys think of it? Thanks!

AFP as in a Tandem progression?

Personally, I think its a great learning and teaching tool. It gives a student a less stressful environment with only a few key things to have to learn and remember for the first 2 jumps (we do a 2 tandem progression at my DZ), then after they have accomplished those goals AND flown a landing pattern and landed helping the TM, then they take a shorter then AFF's ground school. Then their off on AFF level 3. Not only is it a better learning environment, they save a shitload of money. At my DZ, the 2nd tandem is cheaper then the first and the first isn't that expensive, so just abit more then the cost of AFF1, they get the 2 tandems and the transistion ground school.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I did tandem progression, and I loved it! I really needed those 3 (at my DZ) tandem jumps to get used to falling out of the sky, before taking on so much personal responsibility. :P And I handled the AFF portion of my jumps just fine. I say do whatever works for you, but if going straight into AFF scares the begeezus out of you (as it did me), by all means go for the tandem progression. It's a great program! Let us know how everything goes!!

Blue Skies,

Kelly

After hearing about AFP, I think it's a better program. So many people get done with AFF and have trouble figuring out how to complete the A card, and instructors aren't nearly as helpful when you're not paying them. You have to bug them to get info and signatures, etc. I did AFF and I don't regret it because i'm a super persistant person and I got my card taken care of.... But, I see people who aren't as persistant and they have enough jumps to fulfil license requirements, but still don't have nearly enough signatures on that card.

So, my vote, even though I didn't take it, would be for AFP.

Angela.

instructors aren't nearly as helpful when you're not paying them.

That depends on the instructor. It also depends on when you talk to him/her. If its in the middle of the day and they're on their 8th AFF or Tandem jump, they're tired and behind schedule, etc. Then, no, the instructors probably won't be as helpful as they should be.

Try catching them at the end of the day. Bring them a beer (its just nice to do for jump buddies anyways) and chat. If you need your card signed and it wasn't done eariler (which it should have been, but shit happens), then at the end of the day, bring a beer (its just nice to do), your log book and your card. Tell the instructor specifically what you've accomplished and show him/her what you need signed off.

Yeah, instructors should take care of that for you during the jump debrief, but shit happens, sometimes manifest screws up and has you doing back to backs with no time for debriefs or something like that. When jumping with multipul people in a day, sometimes its hard to remember exactly what has happened on each jump, thus bringing your logbook with you will help a lot too.

I see people who aren't as persistant and they have enough jumps to fulfil license requirements, but still don't have nearly enough signatures on that card.

Maybe they have the jumps and not the objectives done yet. Remember, the license isn't about number of jumps as much as it is completing the list of objectives. That's the entire point of the card.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

After hearing about AFP, I think it's a better program. So many people get done with AFF and have trouble figuring out how to complete the A card, and instructors aren't nearly as helpful when you're not paying them. You have to bug them to get info and signatures, etc. I did AFF and I don't regret it because i'm a super persistant person and I got my card taken care of.... But, I see people who aren't as persistant and they have enough jumps to fulfil license requirements, but still don't have nearly enough signatures on that card.

So, my vote, even though I didn't take it, would be for AFP.

Angela.

I second Angela's comments EXACTLY:)

I did AFF but everything I have heard or read makes me think that AFP may well be the better overall program. If I started today and had both as an option I would choose AFP I am pretty sure.

have fun,

Welcome.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

Maybe they have the jumps and not the objectives done yet. Remember, the license isn't about number of jumps as much as it is completing the list of objectives. That's the entire point of the card.

I hear that. But, I still think the AFP would be better, you know what you're doing on what jump, and all goes to fulfil something. Before getting my A card, I didn't want to do any jumps that wouldn't get something accomplished on that card. Some people aren't as focused. They tell themselves after not finding an instructor, that they'll get someone later, and go make a dive. All of a sudden, they've got 35 skydives and no license. I think overall, AFP sounds like a better program in that you don't have to worry about finding an instructor to help you, because one is assigned to you. You complete your licensing requirements on schedule.

Also, i've had people ask me, "so, how much does it cost to become licensed?", answer "well, you have to complete AFF for 1300$, then you need to fulfil a list of requirements to get the A license, cost can vary. Generally, people want to know how much it costs to be licensed... bottom line. It's easier if you can say 2000$ and be done with it (I don't know what afp costs).

jmo
Angela.

Have to concur with AggieDave on this one. I wanted to be the typical "MAN" and go AFF from the start after my wife did a Tandem and wanted to do AFF. She passed, I didn't pull, try again. Just stay on top of it. I've never seen a group of people work as hard as these instructors. They love what they do. Just hope I can take on their responsibility someday. They saved my ass on my first jump!! By the way; I still finished the requirements in 25 jumps (IMHO was a good move by the USPA) and experienced jumpers walked up after my checkdive and asked if I wanted to do a 4-way (probably for the beer) and I was right on the next load. It's all about having a good time with good people.

"Never waste a heartbeat."

I did tandem, and definitely don't regret it. I thought it prepared me well for my A license, and everything just flowed very nicely.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM