DrStrangelove

First Jump! and questions about AFF.

hi all.
I did my level 1 AFF jump this sunday and...HELL YEAH! B| Im definately going back to the same DZ for my level 2/3, but its a 3+ hour drive and im trying not to get too caught-up in the sport too fast. Is there any specific concern with waiting 3'ish weeks between AFF levels? Is there anything I should be doing to counter this (other than going back sooner)? Thanx.

im trying not to get too caught-up in the sport too fast

That might be hard if you love it like some of us do. If you love it then you prob wont worry about how fast your getting caught up in it just how fast you can get back out there for another jump ;) Thats all I can think about and I have been involved for about 3 months now.

there any specific concern with waiting 3'ish weeks between AFF levels?

The less time between jumps the better! It helps with a lot of things, muscle memory being one.

I waited 2 weeks between 3 and 4 and two weeks betwen 4 and 5. I did 5,6,7,8 all in the same day and what a HUGE difference it made. Each jump got better and better. If you can, make them all the same day as your body and mind will be more focused and relaxed(sounds liek an oxymoron but true) plus you won't be making all those 3 hour drives..;)

Blue Skies!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

make them all the same day as your body and mind will be more focused and relaxed

I wouldn't recommend that extreme. Most people shut down after 3-4 jumps during their student progression. Hell, most jumpers shut down after only a handful of jumps, if they're not used to it. It is a physically demanding sport...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Congrats:)In all honesty, it is better to jump as often as possible. The consistency makes a world of difference. I live about an hour from the dz and when I was going thru my student training I would get a room in town and just make a weekend out of it.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

I did level 1-3 last saturday and was wooped when I got home that night. I went back on Sunday and did level 3 (over again ) and 4 and felt great when done.. I think 3 jumps was too much for me the first day. I think it made me tierd and sloppy for my 3rd jump. I plan to focus on how much it is taking out of me until I get more tolerance. The rush will beat you up. I felt like I had put 200 miles on my dirtbike when I got home after just the first 3 jumps..

Space it out but not to far. Go every weekend for a while but only jump a few times. Make a weekend out of it. Drive up Sat and back on Sun.

I have to skip this weekend so it will be 2 weeks bewtween level 4 and 5-7.. I wish I could go next weekend but my buddies wedding has to come first :D

Hey Dr. I cant help with the AFF thingy..I did IAD/PFF...but i can tell you that multiple jumps in a day or weekend will lead to being more comfortable..which in turn..leads to better skills....one jump every 3 weeks or so when starting will hinder your progression....try and arrange it to make at least 2 or 3 jumps per trip....that will be a little pricy doing AFF...but well worth the cost in repeat levels.

ARCH/SMILE/DO it again!!!

Blue Skies and non bumpy landingsB|

hi all.
I did my level 1 AFF jump this sunday and...HELL YEAH! B| Im definately going back to the same DZ for my level 2/3, but its a 3+ hour drive and im trying not to get too caught-up in the sport too fast. Is there any specific concern with waiting 3'ish weeks between AFF levels? Is there anything I should be doing to counter this (other than going back sooner)? Thanx.

Three weeks should be fine, but really, the longer you leave it between jumps, the harder it will be to perform well when you go back. In terms of what you can do between DZ visits, I would read (and re-read) any documentation that the DZ gave you (an AFF booklet?), or even grab yourself a book on skydiving and have a read (Dan Poynter has a really good one). Welcome!

I agree with testpilot. Move closer to the DZ. I only live an hour from ours and I want to sell our house and move so I can jump everyday and if we buy a cheaper house I can use the extra money for the jumps!!! Great idea huh? Now, if I can just convince everyone else in the family. I AM NOT ADDICTED !;)

I did levels 1 through 3 on the first day and came back the next weekend and did 4 through 7 on the same day. My level 4 did not go as well as my level 3 but my levels 5 and 6 went best. The wait makes you a little stiff for the first one. I say try to do at least levels 2 and 3 on the same day and definitely get back there each weekend, I am going for the third week in a row and knocking off 8-13 if at all possible, BLUE SKIES permitting!

If you wait too long between jumps each level will feel more difficult than it really is.

Sean