Dave1216

Bonehead Havoc

I love mine, but if I didn't wear glasses I wouldn't have it. There are trade-offs for every helmet. I owned a Z1 before, and hated dealing with glasses. Havok rocks for glasses wearers, and for those who like the ease of communication (as with students) in the airplane before you close the visor down.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

on some people like Darth Balls

I like the Darth Balls look much better than Vader!
Yah, it's big, but very comfortable! The flip up visor really comes in handy because you can talk to people seconds before jumping, just flip the visor down!

I've seen videos of myself in freefall with other "full facers". It doesn't look bigger in freefall.

edited to add: The locking mechanism for the visor is the best I've seen.

I had one of the earlier ones, so I don't know if it's changed since then, but I wasn't really happy with the way the visor could "slip" down if you take a hard step on landing. Upon experimentation, I found that mine almost always ended up right where I didn't want it to. [:/]

I want a helmet that leaves my vision totally unobscured while under canopy...so I ended up going back to my factory diver (without a lens) and a pair of snug fitting glasses...and sold my Havok.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

but I wasn't really happy with the way the visor could "slip" down if you take a hard step on landing

Interesting....I make it a point to pull the visor all the way down (till it stops clicking). This way, the visor has nowhere left to go if you land hard.

that the visibility sucks when it's open

I've opened it under canopy, didn't notice any drawbacks. The key is to have it completely open, or completely shut. It sounds like some people are opening or closing it 3/4's of the way. That would make it harder to see.

I love mine.. I open it once I am under canopy. I lift it all the way up.. have great visibility . It did not fog up on me even when it was well below Zero this winter at alti..I have yet to find a drawback. I do not use it for FF and I will nut use ti on SPEED dives. but for RW .. its SWEET.

I had one of the earlier ones, so I don't know if it's changed since then, but I wasn't really happy with the way the visor could "slip" down if you take a hard step on landing. Upon experimentation, I found that mine almost always ended up right where I didn't want it to. [:/]

I prefer mine open under canopy and initially it also fell half way down on some landings. I tightened the screws that it swivels on and no more problems. People think I'm nuts when I put the visor down at 800 feet to listen for my Pro Track signal.

Ed

I'm hoping some of you have photo's wearing the Havok.

I'm hoping to see what it looks like with a 'head' in it, as all the photo's i've seen don't.

I looked through a number of shots. I can't find anything that looks any different from any other full face helmet. They just aren't close enough to the face to show the difference.

Ed

Edited to add attachment, didn't work. Sorry, the file is too big.

I use mine for freefall. as far as camera helmet, there's no place I can think of to place one. The whole top centerline is dedicated to the latching mechanism for the visor. The jawbone-ear area is part of the pivoting visor. And both areas are dedicated to the visor's ability to swing up and down.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

They were placed INTENTIONALLY high by Kelly when he built it. they are just under my three ring covers.

And yes I can see them quite well. The Orange Pillow is gone now and I have a Silver handle.. and I managed to see both of them just fine when I chopped my Triathalon 3 weeks ago:)
If my handles were in the normal placement I could not see them at all:)