TheShrubber

Could not jump

I was on my fifth jump and my jump master said get ready. I did not want to jump it did not feel right. I ended up riding the plane down. The jump master tried to get me to go but I could not. I felt stupid all the way down. I love to jump but for some reason that day I could not. I was going to try it again that day but I went home. The jump master called me at home and asked me what happen. Basically why did I go home. Has anyone felt that way on a jump before?

Hi!

I've never had that experience..yet. I do get performance anxiety sometimes ("all these really experienced guys are gonna see me screw up..."). If I ever do feel a strong sense of not being totally prepared for a skydive, I hope I have the courage to ride the plane down.

B|

Chad

good friends, blue skies, and sweet, sweet altitude...

I had a gut feeling not to jump once, when I was really hung over and thought that if I was to jump I would feel much better. I got on the plane and rode up and right when it was my turn to exit I thought, "I don't think I should do this" but I forced myself out the door and worked on my sit. which went very well. I went to land and what do you know I hit the tail end of a dust devil and got slamed into the ground. I twisted my ankle and messed up my left knee...my right is already messed up. Any ways, all I am saying is that I should have trusted my female intuition and not jumped. So now if I ever have that feeling I scratch from my load and I never jump after I feel the air getting bumpy.

Dude, I totally agree with dkpbxman, it takes balls to jump, but it takes some MAJOR COJONES not to. Safety is always the #1 issue in our sport. If you have a bad feeling about a jump, don't do it. Too many times do people jump just cuz they care what other people think, but you have to realize, even if we do it hundreds or thousands of times, we're risking our lives every time we step out of that airplane. If you don't feel safe, don't let anyone make that life or death choice for you. Bravo. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Was going to do my 4th dive on a Sunday, aff cat c, very raw to the sport, excited as hell but partied too much Sat. evening. Got to the DZ, sat in the truck questioning how I "FELT". My heart wanted to go but my head told me not to. I watched as the plane was headed to the wash rack and I headed home feeling like crap that I didn't go and hungover! It just didn't feel right so don't second guess yourself. I would have probably wasted my dive or even worse. Trust your gut and err on the safe side. Blue skies..
Party like it's $19.99

Brand spanking new here, this is my first post. I just started skydiving about a month ago, finished my AFP course on Sunday.

I know how this feels... I hate flying, and every time I go up I feel like complete hell. There was some bad weather coming in, and I was supposed to do a low altitude jump for my graduation jump. I felt like backing out the entire time, but forced myself to do it. EVERY time I leave the plane, within a second, I feel fine again. One of the instructors at the DZ told me when he first started, every time he was on his way to jump, he'd ask himself "What the hell am I doing here?"
I find myself asking the same question, but every time I jump I know why... best feeling on (or slightly above) the earth. I'm addicted : )

If you don't feel right, don't do it.

I once did a hungover jump, i kept asking me "should i do this?" until it was my turn and once i was 20 meters away from the plane (on a solo) i thought "i shouldn't have done this!".
Nothing happened, i landed alright, but felt like shit.

Nobody talked me into the lift, nobody was to impress. I'm lucky nothing went wrong, and ever since, if i don' feel like jumping, even if it's the perfect day, i don't do it.

Skydiving is your thing and yours alone. It's fun with others, its fun without. "They" do not decide, you do.

You did the right thing. No shame in riding down at all. Rather than that, you should earn respect for that decision.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hey don't sweat it. I have a motto..."when in doubt, do without". It's a 3 strikes and I'm out rule. If 3 things keep me from doing something I walk away from it till later. I've pushed it before and now I carry a stainless steel plate around holding my pelvic section together...

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

You da man! when it comes time to step outside that door. If you don't feel like going (for any reason) don't go. If your feelings change after that, go back and try it again. Make up your own mind and fuck everyone else. :)

If In Doubt JUMP!!! (kidding) Naa your gut has a good reason 4 being your gut that's why they call it Gut instinct hope you get back on the horse.
www.skydivekzn.co.za

The plane ride down is more scary. When that plane goes into a nose dive it feels like you are falling big time. When I jump it does not feel like that more like flying, but I no I am really falling. I will be jumping this weekend again. I have been thinking about it all week. See you at the dropzone Scuba. Anyway the jump master is going to pull me out of the plane next time and YOU Know she Could. LOL

I freaked out on my AFP - 1 (it was right after my FJC and after spending all day talking about the bad things that could happen, I just couldn't do it). Rode the plane down. My JM thought that she would never see me again, but I went back 4 days later and knocked it right out.

And even 80 jumps later, I am still getting nervous, but once I am in the door, it's all good. Some fear is good as is following your instincts.

Everyone around here knows what they are talking about.

Good luck with your jumps in the future.

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

Dont worry about it. Skydiving is not a sport to give into peer pressure or the worries of looking stupid. You are taking your own life into your hands everytime you leave that airplane, if you dont want to do it on your 3rd jump or your 3000th jump, you have that right...if anyone gives you crap...tell them to go straight to hell.

I was on my fifth jump and my jump master said get ready. I did not want to jump it did not feel right. I ended up riding the plane down. The jump master tried to get me to go but I could not. I felt stupid all the way down. I love to jump but for some reason that day I could not. I was going to try it again that day but I went home. The jump master called me at home and asked me what happen. Basically why did I go home. Has anyone felt that way on a jump before?

What Paul said.

Once you are out the door - it's up to you to save yourself. If you don't feel right about it - don't go.

BUT- when you do get your 'head' right it is a blast!

And it really is true that someone that rode down a plane because of fear is on the USPA BOD & has a couple of National Titles & World Records.
(My bio page is not up to date.)

It is YOUR choice and decision. Never let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hi Rodger,
Welcome to DZ.com
Several year ago I was on a 20 way at Perris. We were jumping a DC-3. We taxi down to the end of the runway and the pilot starts his run-up checks, it was the first load of the day. Something did not feel right, to this day I am not sure what. I looked at the other jumpers on my load and said sorry, I can't go. I jumper out of the plane and walked back to the packing area. Later that day the feeling went away and I made 2 or 3 jumps. I probably had a 1000 jumps when this happened and I would do it again in the same situation.
If you still want to continue jumping, go back when you feel right about it have a ball. Remember to smile, it drives them crazy.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Jan Meyer thats is so cool. I never thought you would respond to my Post.

Pretty neat little community we have here, huh? :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Jan Meyer thats is so cool. I never thought you would respond to my Post. Your story is Inspiration to me. Thanks for your words. I will be jumping again.

Roger D.

Roger - get back it the air...

Do not think it was an easy trail...
see Me on a 15 sec delay in 1981

Photo by Norm Kent.
DZ= Perris Valley
AC = DC-3

The gear is different (and better today) but the head trip is the same.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Jan --

With regard to that picture . . . your expression is, um, intense to say the least! (veins and eyes popping out . . . cool! Nice, uh, arch!)

Glad you could drop by and give a few words of encouragement.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver