riddler

Vaccuming a rig?

So I have a friends rig that I'm repacking (under supervision). It was assembled brand new (all parts new) in November of last year. Today, I opened the reserve, and I've never seen more dirt on the inside of a reserve container. The freebag and the container were pretty dirty. The cutaway cable also had more grime than I've ever seen (it's nice and clean now ;)).

I've got to talk to this guy about his landings :S

Anyway, there was so much dirt that I didn't want to dump it out on my floor. Can anyone see any harm in vacuuming the inside of the reserve container? I guess the other option is to take it outside and shake it over the ground.

Obviously, I would remove the CYPRES first - I'm a little sensitive to static electricity and AADs right now ;)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Obviously, I would remove the CYPRES first - I'm a little sensitive to static electricity and AADs right now ;)

This is a good idea as the plastic nozzle on the end the vacuum hose becomes an charged insulator once the air is rushing into it.

While working in Perris Valley, California I vacuumed dozens of rigs inside and out. Never worried about static electricity and never had an AAD fire on the ground. Did the job with several different end fittings on several different vacuum cleaners.
Vacuuming may be a poor substitute for the annual bath, but it sure is a quick way to get most of the desert dust out of a container.

some riggers over here wash them in a washing machine... don't know it its a dry clean or what program they use... but they do.

True. True. I have done it successfully. It brought some really trashed rigs back to looking almost new. The rigs were completely black, and the only thing noticeable was the thread turned a little gray.

HERE are the details that I posted here many moons ago.

For loose dirt, though, I like the vacuuming idea.
Arrive Safely

John