rickjump1

HALO

I had the opportunity at Rantoul to do the 30,000' jump. I did it and it was great. During my training in the WW Vietnam days I did the airborne-ranger thing but never did HALO.The HALO team did a first class job. I would highly recommend these guys. Being a 59 year old helicopter pilot,(who at times needs adult supervision),I feel that life is too iffy to pass up a chance like this.Ps I went out the door with 1 other American and 3 Frenchmen(1 American stayed in the aircraft with a little hypoxia). Bliss.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

rickjump1

I had the opportunity at Rantoul to do the 30,000' jump. I did it and it was great. During my training in the WW Vietnam days I did the airborne-ranger thing but never did HALO.The HALO team did a first class job. I would highly recommend these guys. Being a 59 year old helicopter pilot,(who at times needs adult supervision),I feel that life is too iffy to pass up a chance like this.Ps I went out the door with 1 other American and 3 Frenchmen(1 American stayed in the aircraft with a little hypoxia). Bliss.

Do you know why the one guy got hypoxia despite the oxygen? I'm curious because I really want to do a HALO jump but I'm one of those poor bastards who starts getting hypoxic at 10k or even lower.

Thanks

We were jumping Mike Mullins' King Air that was "probably" the fastest jump aircraft at that time. Before we took off we all hooked up to the oxygen console and had a pre-breathe session 30 +- minutes? Long time ago. After we took off and climbed to a designated altitude before jump altitude, the jump master had us disconnect from the console and hook up to our bale out bottles. It was here that the guy that went limp because he failed to get a good connection to his bail out bottle. The jump master immediately went over and connected him, bringing him around, alert and wanting to jump, but the jump master made him ride the aircraft down. In fact, the jump master rode down with him. The rest of us went out to -30f (we were told) and had a "long" fall. I wish you well in your HALO jump.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

rickjump1

We were jumping Mike Mullins' King Air that was "probably" the fastest jump aircraft at that time. Before we took off we all hooked up to the oxygen console and had a pre-breathe session 30 +- minutes? Long time ago. After we took off and climbed to a designated altitude before jump altitude, the jump master had us disconnect from the console and hook up to our bale out bottles. It was here that the guy that went limp because he failed to get a good connection to his bail out bottle. The jump master immediately went over and connected him, bringing him around, alert and wanting to jump, but the jump master made him ride the aircraft down. In fact, the jump master rode down with him. The rest of us went out to -30f (we were told) and had a "long" fall. I wish you well in your HALO jump.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've got three "hypoxia" loads on Mullin's plane but only to 23k. Since I exited alone each time I was last out and that trip down the fuselage got really strange. But if and when I do get a chance for a HALO I'll pay special attention to the equipment and try to avoid what he went through.