TheShrubber

1st Jump

On made my first jump on 7/12/03. It took me a week to decide to go. The worst part of the whole thing was getting out the door of the plane. I was the fist tandem out the door. Looking down at 13,500 feet and falling from a plane would scare any normal person for the first time. I had no idea how I was going to react. Once out the door and falling a 120mph I felt great. I made a few mistakes my first jump like not pulling at 5500 the jumpmater had to pull and the way I looked at the altimeter. I guess I am aloud a few mistake the first jump. I am planning to go through the whole AFP Program. I would like to hear about any other fist jump experiences or if you are a tandem master and had any really bad first jumps.

hi shrubber
great that you did your first jump! from what you write i think you did a jump on a strong tandem:)and for doing nor everything right: take a peek in the other forums - there you find a thread on"natural skydivers" - so you'll see that nobody performs perfect on the first jump (and pulling on the first tandem is no easy task without proper training)
anyway - congrats and don't hesitate to tell us whats happening on your next jumps!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

....or if you are a tandem master and had any really bad first jumps.

just re-read your post – why would you want to hear that??? pls be honest!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

So, are ya gonna jump again!??? Ha?Ha? Ya have to! lol! Sounds like it was a good time! I am soo ready to begin my AFF training and just saving the cashola! ( I bartend and serve so it shouldn't be so hard to pick up the extra cash!) I am addicted, what about you?
WElcome and blue skies!
Rock!
All my life I've been called Rocky, but now some say in my tandem jump photo that I really look like Rocky the squirrel!

I am just trying to see how my jump went compared to other first jumps.

It sounds like it was similiar to a lot of others. If you go again. 1st thing is to concentrate on altitude awareness and make sure to pull. 2nd, which is a bit more difficult in the beginning is to be aware of what your legs are doing. Keep them symetrical.

And smile and have lots of fun!!!!!!!

Welcome, and congrats, you r about to gett hooked.

Hey pal, its all about relaxing.....

Raquel, when and where will you start your AFF?

Take care and blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I am just trying to see how my jump went compared to other first jumps.

i didn't want to put you off. it's just that there's sometimes some really odd folks in here who get off hearing disaster-stories.:(

i hope you keep on jumping and stick with it because skydivers a very specific and unique gruop of people - i met the best people i know in this sport. and it definitely changed my life!

blue skies

dudeist skydiver # 666

I hadn't strapped my goggles tight enough on my AFF tandem, so it kind of sticked to my forehead...

I completed the rest of the course without a lot of troubles (after tightening the goggles of course).

Like my AFF jumpmaster said: I don't care how you do the exercises in the jump. I just want to see you relax and enjoy the freefall.

Ok, and pull of course at the set altitude...

Enjoy the ride!

Why didn't your jumpmaster allow you to pull a little lower? 5,500 may be much more than safe for a tandem with an expert right behind you.

On my first AFF jump, the jumpmaster realized I was aware of altitude (looking regularly at the altimeter) and patiently allowed me to pull almost at 4,000 instead of 4,500 or 5,000 (may seem low for beginners, but our DZ is already 3,500 above sea-level).

Anyway, I was sort of scolded for not relaxing and enjoying the ride (which afterwards made me even more tense), I counted to five too fast (to detect malfunction and cut-away), and could not easily find the landing zone.

As everybody else suggests, it only gets better. My second AFF jump was better (scolded this time for doing an extra and never-asked-for maneuver instead of relaxing and enjoying the ride, plus I did not count to five this time, but JM does not know since he was already hundreds of feet down when I forgot to count...don't tell him, pls.)

Third jump was awesome, delightful, and almost perfect (well, I had to correct my legs twice, correct direction, and the instructor was mad because I did not follow 100% of his instructions on the radio for landing).

The most important lesson of all, so far: relax and enjoy as much as you can !!!