GigaBuist

I'm sold. This is definately for me.

I've been lurking for a few days now, trying to suck up as much info as I can on this sport. I'm totally hooked. This might be a bit drawn out for an introduction, but well, here goes.

Two weeks ago (late May) I'm flying home from Oralndo (Grand Rapids MI based) and think to myself that it'd be fun to be -outside- the plane. I've never really given skydiving a real serious thought until this point and sort of shrugged it off[*. Well, as luck has it a week later a buddy calls up and says that he's got a group reserved to take a dump and I say I'm all for it. This coming from a guy who gets uneasy on a 10 foot ladder.

So, we show up on a Saturday morning, do the class and I'm feeling oddly easy with the whole situation. I'm skittish, there's no doubt about that. I'm sure my jumpmaster will confirm to that one. Long story short, we climb to altitude, I climb on out and hang. I look back, she says "Go!" and I take another second to look around thinking she said "Ok?" which is certainly not what she said. A quick look (or maybe longer -- you'd have to ask her!) I look back, she says "Go!" again and I drop. About a half second later I'm wondering if my static line is still really attached. I think I lost my arch here, as I remember looking at the ground at one point during the very short freefall and finally letting out a roller-coster style gut yell. Apparently I can be heard from 3500 feet away.

Canopy ride was great. I really didn't think I'd ever enjoy that; but, I did. I'd try and elaborate here but frankly it'd just be preaching to the choir.

I landed safely (I dumped to be honest. My feet hit and I'm suddently not used to my own weight so I took it safe and just rolled with it.). Half an hour later (or less... I'm not sure) I'm wondering if anybody else from my group is ready to go a 2nd time that day. The guy that set the whole deal up is ready to go again, so we sign up. I'd say at this point I already know I'm hooked. My 2nd jump is horrid. I lose my arch almost immediatley as I let my feet drop under me and I'm sitting flat on my back in a reverse-arch type deal thinking "fuck... this will be a hard yank.". Not too bad, probably due to the adreneline.

I get down (landed on my feet this time, thankfully) and start looking around the DZ a bit more; realizing that I'll be spending many many weekends there. I'm sold. Lock stock and barrel. I'm headed right back to the DZ this weekend with my brother (and if my JM reads this, she'll think it's probably quite funny that he's coming back. Apparently he was rather hesitant about letting go of the strut) and I'm planning on getting off student status ASAP so I can jump with a former co-worker who's a bit more into this than me. Of course I plan to learn as much as I possibly can to stay safe while doing this. I don't think there's a single thing I've thought more about this entire week than getting back down there and out of the plane. I'm sold.

*: Yep. I was a 'whuffo'. The entire idea of getting outside of a perfectly good airplane was so far out there to me I couldn't understand it.

Welcome. We're all hooked here. ;)

I heard an excellent quote about it: "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out, you can't explain it." Now that you're on the 'inside' you're not a whuffo anymore, and good luck explaining that to your friends who haven't gone jumping.

Once you get your license, look me up if you're ever in So Cal, and we'll do a jump!
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Hooked can't even begin to desribe it for me...

I just realized in the last couple of days how bad I have it..... I've been a musician more than half of my life. Since I was 15, I've written, and recorded music. Now, I made my first jump on May 5th, and today I've realized that I've not only recorded anything since then, I haven't even touched my instruments since..... I never thought something would ever take my mind off of music.... I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but I'm enjoying it, so why question it?

B|

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

Well, I personally think that you will have no trouble learning this sport, but not so with the addiction and jump withdrawals you get....

Great post, by the way. Stay safe and blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Careful Andrea, I've never formally introduced myself in here. And by now we all know what kind of lengthy diatribes I can go on!;) You don't want me going & perceiving this as any sort of "challenge" now do you? :P

Welcome Justin! ...To both the sport and the forums.

Have fun, stay safe.
Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone