hcarvajal

Hi there

I have been visiting this site since a couple months and finally I do my first post. All this time I have been following some discussion, and I’ve learned a lot.
I have gotten my USPA "A" licence four weeks ago;), and it hasn´t been easy. I went into spinning a lot of times and I have had a couple of malfuntions :(. Anyway, I have continued with it, and now I have 66 jumps in my logbook. I´m from Mexico, and my D.Z. is “Austin Skydive Center” in Lexington, TX. They are a very nice and friendly people, and I am in my Jump Masters debt.
I have learned a lot in this site and I have studied your "Safety section". It is very interesting and useful.
I’d like make you a question: In case of I must to jump at low altitude, is possible open the reserve without open the main chute? Someone told me is better open the main in this cases. Doesn’t it?
Thanks in advance
Blue Skies

Welcome to dz.com. We're like a big family here; some of us love each other, some of us hate each other, some of us call others names -- but we're all skydivers!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Welcome to the forums! :)

I’d like make you a question: In case of I must to jump at low altitude, is possible open the reserve without open the main chute? Someone told me is better open the main in this cases. Doesn’t it?

Yes, it is possible to open the reserve before the main, but it depends upon the malfunction that you are having and your altitude. I don't know what you are considering a "low" altitude. You might have more answers to your question if you post it in the "Safety and Training" forum.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi Skymama.
Thank you for answer.
I understand that I could open the reserve without have opened the main in case I was hurried to jump low by plane´s malfuntion (about 1000 or 1500).
Anyway I will post it in the safety and training forum.
Thanks again

Hola, Amigo!

Welcome to the skydiving world, and to these forums!

In case of I must to jump at low altitude, is possible open the reserve without open the main chute? Someone told me is better open the main in this cases.

It depends on the altitude. I strongly recommend you consult your Instructor for clear answers so you know what your actions should be in each particular altitude range. Some altitudes require a ride down in the plane (too low for ANYTHING to open), in the next range going straight to the reserve would be necessary, and in the next using the main is fine.

Ask your Instructor so you can be completely clear and in accrodance with you DZ's training as well as USPA's.
Arrive Safely

John

Hi HCarvahal. I'm glad that you stoppd by this site. Your post brought back some strong memories for me. I remember, while jumping at Son DZ at Ft. Campbell Ky, the mandatory nine AM safety briefings that occurred every time we jumped. The safety brief covered this contingency and many more. Harry

Welcome to dz.com. As to your main/reserve question, I think a low time person should consult their S&TA as to how low is too low. Our DZ has a policy of wearing our seatbelts until 1500. Below that we ride it down. If forced to exit there, I would probably go right for the reserve. I pack my canopy to snivel significantly and if it snivels too long, I have a chance of a Cypres fire and a two out senario. That comes down to my relatively "little" experience. When in doubt ASK.

Blue ones

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

Hi There,

Below 1000ft I would land in the plane - unless there is structural failure.

Between 1000 ft and your desision altitude (The altitude that you would deciede to use your reserve if you had a mal) I would use the reserve.

Above that, main, and see what happens.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Hey, how are ya? welcome!!!

Breathe, relax and yes pull the damn reserve when in doubt! its always better to land under at least one canopy than none at all!!!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!