geoffmitchell46

Curious

Hello, I am 19 and looking into maybe making a life out of skydiving. I just got done with a 2 year enlistment in the military, and I want to have fun with my life. One thing I am very curious about is if life at a dz is what the movies show, such as Drop Zone and Cutaway. I know Hollywood often stretches the thruth. Any info anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.[email]

am very curious about is if life at a dz is what the movies show, such as Drop Zone and Cutaway.

No, not really. You're best bet is to go to a few DZs around you, do some jumps and hang out. In those trips you'll learn more about life on the DZ (although, you will only be scratching the surface).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Visit some of the the DZ's near you. You can find a list here on dropzone.com. Find one you are comfortable with and make a jump. Be sure to hang around after the jumping is done, and get to know the folks at the DZ.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

Welcome to the forums. You will be amazed at how quickly bonds build at the DZ. Quicker and stronger than basic. Like the others have said, find a local DZ and pay them a visit. I haven't been in the sport long but have been to a couple DZs and they are both different. You will find one where you are most comfortable. There are great folks at them all as far as I can tell. Good luck in the sport.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

Yeah I wanna make a life outta skydiving too!! Go and visit some nearby DZ's and do a Tandem!! Welcome to the world's biggest playground!!B|

L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Hello, I am 19 and looking into maybe making a life out of skydiving. I just got done with a 2 year enlistment in the military, and I want to have fun with my life. One thing I am very curious about is if life at a dz is what the movies show, such as Drop Zone and Cutaway. I know Hollywood often stretches the thruth. Any info anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.[email]

They pretty much have to stretch the truth, if they dont put sex in a movie they wont get as much of a turnout. I read the credits on Cutaway and it was pretty interesting, turns out the director is a world champion skydiver, started out by losing his job and going at it full time. The movie, as it was saying, was sort of an advertisement for what he does, film skydiving shots in other movies, ect. He made quite a bit of money going into skydiving full time, was also responsible for the scenes in Point Break and a few others. He and his wife also acted as doubles in his own movie.

This guy really lives a pretty amazing life, but he's all self made. Goes to show you what you can do if you really put your mind into something. Good luck with the skydiving....get out there and kick ass! Id like to hear how it goes.

Welcome to skydiving! Definitely go to www.uspa.org and check out the list of group member drop zones in your area. It will also give you a good idea of what to expect as a new jumper. Then hang out as others have suggested and see if it is for you! Keep us posted as to what you think of the "skydiving family" when you get a good look at us. blue skies!

Just don't give yourself a 'hilarious' nickname, like 'Redline' or 'Groundrush' - it's fine here, but you will be buying beer for a VERY lng time if you try it at a real DZ. That being said, if you hear people talking about DZ.com, by all means tell them you use it, and what your nick is, it can only help to bring you into this great little community we've got going here.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Just don't give yourself a 'hilarious' nickname, like 'Redline' or 'Groundrush' - it's fine here, but you will be buying beer for a VERY lng time if you try it at a real DZ. That being said, if you hear people talking about DZ.com, by all means tell them you use it, and what your nick is, it can only help to bring you into this great little community we've got going here.

I think Ill tell the instructors after six jumps, you can start calling me "GroundRush". I think Id end up flooring a few people with that.

Thats got to take more guts than jumping out of an airplane your first time.