kizza

Just started AFF and I'm hooked

Hey guys,

I started off with skydiving a few months ago when I went for a tandem with a friend. It was an amazing experience and since then I have been a regular visitor of this site and have been amazed at how helpful you guys are towards eachother. Skydiving seems to be an extremely collaborative sport where helping eachother comes before being competitive, it's great.

Anyways I have now started the AFF course and did my AFF stage 1 yesterday. My favourite part was the exit, and my second favourite was the landing. Can't wait for stage 2. I have been a private pilot for a while before I started skydiving but in that whole time I have never felt the rush you get from skydiving, especially the exit. What a thrill!

Hello and welcome to the forums. You should enjoy the level 2 jump. You get to start moving around in the sky for the first time. Good luck.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

*gulp*
Already with AFF jump 1 you enjoyed the exit?!
I'm hoping on doing AFF real soon and there's only 1 thing that scares me shitless.. and that's when the door opens and I will have walk to that door and jump myself.
Tandem was easy.. didn't see the ground (heads up) when we exited but AFF wont be like that.. brrr

Are you a natural or any hints on enjoying something scary as that? Or don't your instincts tell you it suicide jumping out of a plane?!

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I should have made myself clearer, I HATED the part where the plane leveled off, the door opened and I had to actually walk out there. Scared me shitless.

But once you let go and you are flying you know there's no turning back, it's like you are in a totally different world... I got the biggest adrenaline rush ever! I guess that rush is what is making me want to go back for more ASAP!

I will be just as afraid of the exit on the next jump, but I don't know, I guess overcoming that fear is what makes it so cool.

I love the exit!!

Funky feeling when the door opens and you step out.....it's King of The Planet Stuff!!

I hated my landing!!

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Having previous flying experience did help the canopy flying a bit, especially in terms of understanding crabbing / running / holding, and flying a circuit pattern. Except when I turned onto final and I was right over the landing area, felt really weird! Then i remembered that the canopy only flies at 20 knots and there was 20kts of headwind :)

Hi. You'll find that in a few jumps, for me it was about 15 or 20, there will be a shift. In the beginning, when the spotter yells "DOOR" and you feel and hear the rush of cool air as the door opens, there is the moment of fear or dread, the "What the f*** did I get myself into" moment. But soon you will find yourself reacting to the door opening like a dog hearing a leash being jiggled by his master. Then you will really be hooked. Good luck, safety first.

Welcome Kizza!

The exit was my favortie part as a student too. It blew my mind that I could jump out of a plane and not freak out :)

Hey, youre "The Bets" and you can do anything!

I freaked out, just didnt show it. Heart rate was way up there and breathing real shallow and fast until the chute finally opened. He said I did a good job, I said "Yea, thanks, see ya, dont want to be ya..."

Welcom Kizza!

I thoroughly enjoyed my AFF experience that I did last January, also at a dz near the beach...Sebastian, FL...and I already have 140 jumps! I'm sure you'll progress in the sport and love it just like all of us! Welcome to the forums! It's a great place to get opinions and learn about stuff!

-Crystal
-Crystal

Welcom Kizza!

I thoroughly enjoyed my AFF experience that I did last January, also at a dz near the beach...Sebastian, FL...and I already have 140 jumps! I'm sure you'll progress in the sport and love it just like all of us! Welcome to the forums! It's a great place to get opinions and learn about stuff!

-Crystal

Do you know someone named "Wendy" at Sebastian? Also, do they have a bunkhouse there?

In the beginning, when the spotter yells "DOOR" and you feel and hear the rush of cool air as the door opens, there is the moment of fear or dread, the "What the f*** did I get myself into" moment.

You just described me on the very first tandem I did, thats exactly what I said. Now I just keep my mind on what happens after and Im cool with it. For some reason, when youre sitting in the plane for a while, then the door pops open, that whole scene is just intimidating.

With me, I believe its a matter of a flashback from the first tandem and thats whats doing it, cause I know that is what just instintaneously pops in the back of my mind every time. You really got to do this over and over again several times before it finally registers...nothing to worry about, just make a great exit.

I overheard someone talking about he was so intimidated every time he started he just wanted to go back down with the plane and couldnt get himself to the door. This was on the first several that he did, but then he finally chilled out. There has got to be this one jump where it all finally just wears off.