Suzie

NEW SKYDIVE ADDICT!!

The experience we had on our tandems.

I have seen tandems "processed" ... one after the other. The students are discouraged from taking any active part in the jump because to take that part requires training and there are too many students to be run through the pipeline to properly provide that training. Those students then often leave the dz feeling like they had a wonderful time, but it was a time they could have also had at a large amusement park. They were merely a passenger along for a wild thrill ride.

But other students get the opportunity ... perhaps because they demand it or they go to the dz on a slow weekend when the instructors have more time to spend training a student ... to actively participate in the jump. When that tandem jump is over, the student feels like they were a viable part of the experience and accomplished something through it. That feeling leaves them wanting more, and it is those students who frequently opt to continue in the sport.

That's just my personal opinion, gleaned through my own personal experience ... and I am certainly not an instructor, nor an expert.

Blue skies!

--rita

It's weird, I see plenty of first timers (tandems) with smiles on their faces after their jumps. But very few ever come back for some training. Even fewer make it through their training and become life-time jumpers. What makes those of us who become skydivers different? :o

Yeah, this pic was taken about lunch-time. Glad to see you guys got out of bed, got out of the caravan and went back to bed... ;)

I'm glad you decided to do your AFF at Hib, hope the weather is good (and you have your Cat. 8 when I get back from SA so you can come play with us! :)
Will

DSC00024.JPG

Hi guys, I am back...and up to jump 7 now! I told you - I am seriously addicted. This past Fri I played hooky from work (I have never done this before) only b/c the weather forcast was crap for Sat and Sun. The weather was gorgeous Fri- sunny and 60s. The DZ wasn't crowded at all so it was great. Did jumps 4 and 5 really well (if I do say so myslef), then took 3.5 hour ground school one-on-one with the best instructor ever (Randy at Carolina Sky Sports - been jumping since the Army in '69 and I did my first tandem with him). Then, it was about 5:30 and they asked if I wanted to go up on the last load and do level 6, which is the first solo (IAF). I was slightly nervous (we'd been talking about malfunctions all day!) but I decided to go for it and am SO glad I did. I wouldn't have wanted that build up of anxiety, plus everything was so fresh in my mind. It was beyond awesome. As soon as my canopy opened and I checked that it was good, I let out the hugest yell. What a truely amazing feeling.

Weather this weekend looks perfect *keeping fingers crossed* so I called this morning and signed up for Sat and Sun. I plan on doing at least levels 7-10.

Thanks for letting me "vent" to people who understand!

Hi guys, I am back...and up to jump 7 now! I told you - I am seriously addicted. Thanks for letting me "vent" to people who understand!

Hey vent away all you want. We know your addiction because we have the same issues. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey, did I even mention groping or snogging!! You just blame the cider and you'll be fine!! I'm sure the cider gets blamed for a lot of things - I know that'll be my excuse for anything I might or might not do in the future!

You in South Africa yet? Have got groundschool Monday so think I'll go over on Sunday, might see you if you're there.

:S

Suzie
aka: Tigger

Thanks! This weekend rocked! I did jumps 7-10 Saturday and graduated from student status, and then did jumps 11-14 on Sunday. 11 and 12 were completely solo which I loved. No pressure, got to do whatever I wanted (which ended up to be lots of backloops- I love them). 13 was a video jump which was cool b/c I had never gotten a video before and I got to see what I looked like. I did arm and leg turns, backloops and barrel rolls. My videographer said it was the best level 13 he'd seen in a long time and there was really nothing he could correct me on! I was like, REALLY!?!? I was pretty proud of myself. BUT I competely botched the landing by reversing the windsock in my head. I landed perfectly DOWNwind. But I dealt with it. I didn't make any low tursn, slid on my feet at first then rolled to one side and was drug a bit. Didn't hurt at all though! I was pretty embarased. Then, level 14 was the first of 7 coached jumps during which I did tracking. I was a little wobbly so I need to relax my body position more. I am flying so HIGH from this weekend and can hardly concentrate on work.

I am feeling a little guilty. I have a good friend coming into town to stay the night Sat night who I haven't seen in 6 months, and while I am excited to see her, I am also totally bummed that I can't go skydiving Saturday! AAAAGh! What am I going to do??? The good news is I will be able to go Sun b/c she is leaving int he morning but still. I feel bad for feeling like being at the DZ is more imporrtant than seeing her but it's hard for me to help it. It's like a damn drug! Plus I wanted to finish my last 6 jumps for my A. Oh well, I guess it'll have to wait until next weekend...unless I jump 6 times Sunday...hmmm.........

I know no one's posting here anymore but I just wanted to post that I got my A this past weekend. I can't believe I got my license one month and two days after my first tandem--> I was lucky b/c I could afford it (I had saved up money for a vacation this summer but used it to do this instead). I am so thoroughly addicted. Skydiving has changed my life. I can't believe what I was missing out on before!

I also bought a used rig.

Yes! I have. I had an incredible weekend – got 12 jumps in total Sat and Sun so I am now up to 38. The weather was gorgeous, sunny, nice light winds – perfect. I tried learning to sit fly. The first try was hilarious – I was flailing ALL over the place the whole freefall. I got video of it. It got better after that but I ended up mostly knee flying. Need more practice for sure.

I have also developed this habit of loving to run out the back of the CASA. I also like to yell when I do it. It's just such a fun feeling, know what I mean?

Today is gorgeous again but I am stuck inside at work. oh well, I can't be too upset after the weekend I had at the DZ.

Welcome to the family!:)
I'm a fellow UK newbie (although I'm in Oz at the mo). I'm fairly new to the sport (or should I say life!!) and completely, absolutely and ecstatically hooked on it!!

Where are you jumping in the UK, I'm trying to decide where to move back to...who needs a job/house/car etc?! I need to live near a good DZ!

Have fun, Blue Skies!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish