JerseyShawn

Brian Germains Canopy Flight Course...

Others in internet-land who have not met me have different opinions.

FIFY

Really we're going to derail another thread with this shit?

This website has become a joke.

Hopefully you wont end up being just another punchline
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you prefer to concentrate on the science of canopy flight there are probably better ones for you.

Like what? I have heard from others that this is the bulk of the course with BG, in addition to some great potentially life saving lessons in packing and canopy control.

What courses have you taken that you can comment on?

If you're into all that psychology of fear stuff it might be what you need. If you prefer to concentrate on the science of canopy flight there are probably better ones for you.

Judging by your posts in other threads, I can see how the "thinking" part of canopy operation wouldn't appeal to you. You seem to be more of a, "Hey - I'll yank on this and see what happens", kind of guy.

I realize that this comment is just a thinly-veiled way of you having a pop at me, but I will rise above that and answer in an adult way:

On the contrary, if you had really read my comments, you would know how much time and money I have invested in canopy coaching and education.

I don't really feel the need for all the meditation-type content, but that is totally different from not thinking about canopy operation, aerodynamics and how the various inputs affect the flight of the wing.

I haven't been through Brian's course but I have read his books and listened to him speak at PIA.

He is a smart guy and a good teacher, he seems to have pertinent background in the 'psychobabble stuff' and thus he relates it in his course...nothing wrong with that if you don't have any knowledge of how to control your body with your mind without negative emotion.

It's basic competitive athlete stuff geared toward skydiving.

In college I boxed and played football...my coaches taught the same kind of thing. Controlling and focusing your mind to overcome 'natural' reactions.

I found myself doing those things in the skydiving world because it was hammered into me for years, it's a useful tool and something one may want to consider if they have no experience in those areas and are stumbling.

Simple things like breathing right and visualizing success in your mind may seem trivial and unnecessary...until you master them and reach goals you earlier couldn't.

Well said.
Anybody from skeet shooters to hammer throwers to include skydivers, that are champions, subscribe to these methods. Mastering control of the mind is 50% winning. Sure you can get by without it but you will find yourself well behind the curve of someone that does even if you are more talented.
If you are not interested in being a champion in skydiving then please stay off my load.

What courses have you taken that you can comment on?

I have done the following:

- Luigi Cani's course (twice)
- Flight-1 essential skills
- Flight-1 advanced course

There was not a significant amount of time spent on breathing exercises and the like in those courses, more about actual canopy flight, aerodynamics and drills.

Of course, the more psychological stuff might suit some people. It's a personal thing.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

This website has become a joke

Does that mean you're going to go away? I hope so, because that would just further prove the point I was trying to make in the other thread.

If we, as a community, refuse to sit idly by while jumpers thumb their nose at conventional wisdom in terms of safety and especailly as related to canopy control, we can make jumpers guilty of those infractions so uncomfortable they'll just leave. Doing it on this website is just an example, what really needs to happen is in the real world at DZs everywhere.

Call the schmucks out for being schmucks. If someone is jumping a canopy obviously well beyond their skill and experience level, speak up. If someone is flying a reasonable canopy in an unsafe manner, speak up. In either case, if we do it loudly, often and with a united front, the offender will get the message or get sick of hearing it and move along. If every DZ does this, the 'move along' becomes 'move along to another sport' and not 'move along to another DZ'.

Skydiving, when done 'by the books' in a generally accpeted conservative manner is dangerous enough. Those that cannot repsect that and insist on further pushing the limits within the sport should not be welcome on our DZs, websites, or anywhere. It only makes it more dangerous for the rest of us, and makes the sport look bad to everyone else.

When a kid with 250 jumps hooks it in on a botched swoop, jumpers everywhere nod in understanding, realizing that it was only a matter of time, and that the jumper was pushing way too hard and being way too irresponsbile with their choices. However, all the general pubilc sees is that another young man was cut down in his prime, even though he had 250 whole jumps, which to a whuffo sounds like alot.

No offence Pop, but my main goal here is to get you to staighten up, or get the fuck out of the sport. I don't give two shits what you want, feel, or think. You know you're giving the finger to conventional wisdom in the areas of canopy control and selection, and there's no room for that in this sport.

Think this website is a joke? Good, log off and never come back. Heopfully the jumpers at your DZ will follow suit, and you'll pull out of the parking lot one day in the coming weeks and think that the DZ is a joke too.

Ok all golden showers aside.

It's not a bad class. Yes perhaps it may be more beneficial for the new to the sport than the veteran.
But that being said, is more education a bad thing?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I didn't say one word about Brian's course. The thread caught a hint of a corsswind, and I drifted it right into my personal agenda. Mea culpa.

I'm a firm supporter of education in any area of skydving, Brian in general, his canopy courses, his WL chart, and even his thoughts on using beepers in the pattern (see his thread in the Swooping forum).

It happens.
This is what I love and dislike about this forum.
There is some great info but there is a good ammount of golden showers.
But it's all good :)

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Is it raining? :$

At most DZ's I would say it's raining dudes!

Others in internet-land who have not met me have different opinions.

FIFY

Really we're going to derail another thread with this shit?

This website has become a joke.

We can derail it if you would like.

You are well beyond the recommendations of the manufacturers, Brian Germain, USPA (what little they have), and most of the experienced guys on here.

In Europe (some of the countries there, anyway), where they have rules on canopy progression, you would be in violation.

There are DZs (including mine) that would not allow you on the plane with that canopy choice.

THAT IS YOUR CHOICE.

But if you are going to come on here and publicly state that you are making this choice, then there are those that will call you out on it. If you don't like that, then don't publicly state that you are doing these things.

They've seen "you" too many times.
You aren't as different as you think.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's not a bad class. Yes perhaps it may be more beneficial for the new to the sport than the veteran...

I disagree. I think that BG's course material can be understood on many levels. The experience that one brings to the class can determine what one gets out of it. Noobs get the basics, because that is what their limited experience allows them to relate to. More experienced folks will pick up on a lot more, due to their larger knowledge base.

Kevin K.