JerseyShawn

Brian Germains Canopy Flight Course...

Has anyone attended his class?

I see he has a class in Jersey at the end of the month which means I have to pay for a flight plus the class.

Is it worth the extra money to go and learn from his class?

I don't mind paying the cash to be a better/safer pilot, just don't want waste any loot if I can learn the same from my instructors. The whole canopy situations make me eager to learn and better my canopy skills sooner than later.

Thanks.

I haven't been to one of his, but I have done others.

A friend of mine who attended one of BGs said that their was a lot of psychobabble about fear and taking a deep breath etc instead of actual canopy control, so take your pick.

If you're into all that psychology of fear stuff it might be what you need. If you prefer to concentrate on the science of canopy flight there are probably better ones for you.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I've taken it and found it to be some of the best instruction and insight on canopy flight you can get anywhere. Yes there is a big part dedicated to the mental process of flying a canopy, but flying a canopy is a big mental process.
Totally worth the cost of the course.:)
Willy

growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

I took one of Brian's courses recently, and the "psychobabble" was mixed in throughout the course in a very intelligent way. It's more of a psychological-physicological explanation of what happens in different applicable scenarios, how to recognize it, and how to prevent it, to make your canopy flight safer.

For example, when talking about malfunctions, he'll also talk about how and why adrenaline is released, what it does to your decision making process, how to prepare for and handle it, and what you can do afterwards to calm yourself down for the resulting unfamiliar canopy ride.

I'd say it's about 5-10% of the course, with the remaining 90-95% of the course being a very thorough scientific, technical, and layman-practical canopy course. MUCH easier to absorb and apply than reading his book and trying his exercises on your own.

Overall, I think the course is very much worth taking, but if I had to choose between a local canopy course or traveling to take Brian's, I'd take the local one. If I had the choice between Brian's or another, locally or nearby (within a couple hours' drive), I'd take Brian's.
But I also hate commercial flight. I'd rather drive 12 hours than fly 3 hours if I have the option to.
Brian

I haven't been to one of his, but I have done others.

A friend of mine who attended one of BGs said that their was a lot of psychobabble about fear and taking a deep breath etc instead of actual canopy control, so take your pick.

If you're into all that psychology of fear stuff it might be what you need. If you prefer to concentrate on the science of canopy flight there are probably better ones for you.

This is just plain bullshit.

The biggest part of the course is on canopy flight. Canopy flight cannot be understood without vast knowledge of human psychology. If you don't know what your body is doing under stress and how you can manage this you will have a bigger chance of dying. Being calm and relax is the most important thing in canopy flight.
Blue skies!

This is just plain bullshit.

The biggest part of the course is on canopy flight. Canopy flight cannot be understood without vast knowledge of human psychology.

I'll call bullshit on the bullshit.

You don't need psychobabble to learn the technical aspects of canopy flight. If you're having fear issues as a student, sure. Plenty come to dz.com for advice on such issues.

Now I don't disagree that some understanding of psychology is can be useful in different aspects of life, including learning effectively or dealing with stress.

But jeez, do you really need therapy to learn how a canopy flares, or different approaches to flying landing patterns?

Brian knows about psych, and likes to have it in his course. Fine. But some just don't want to be paying for that.

Talk to Keith Wyatt at Skydance. He and Lisa regularly hold canopy courses there. You'll pay for the cost of your jumps and a bit more ($25ish) for the instruction. I've taken both their class and Brian's, and I think you'll get plenty out of the local course at a fraction of the cost.

You can buy Brian's books and read them as an accompaniment if you really want the technical details and what others have called "psychobabble" on top of it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

One word, YES!
:)After I broke my shinbone he came to my home DZ. I signed up for my instructor / mentor suggested I do. And at first I wasn't sure. After all there I was in an air cast what would I learn?
Boy was I wrong!

Per day I had about 40+ pages of notes which I still look at today.

In fact I just spoke with the guys at the DZ and asked if he could come back. With only 30 jumps I had so much to learn but the way he presented the little things really helped.

For example the little things such as getting comfortable after chute deployment to change your perception and mission statement. Where before I flew my canopy with my legs straight down, now after deployment and making sure my airspace is 100% clear I grab the rears and pull up and SIT in my container. Just that act alone really changed my view of where I was, who I was and how I was.

Comfortable, seated, I now could take a nice deep breath and enjoy the view and keep an eye out for others and fly my lumpy bumpy rented student canopy with my hips.

I could go on and on and on. But as a very green participant in this sport I can't say enough about the two day lecture.

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ill get Brians book and see if Keith can give me some knowledge/instruction before his next class on August 14th.

Keith is a great source, but if he's busy there are lots of folks I can recommend that you sit down and chat with. Good for you for taking the initiative - if you're planning to jump at the boogie, it'd be a great topic to review before then. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks Krisanne.

Ill get Brians book and see if Keith can give me some knowledge/instruction before his next class on August 14th.

Thanks everyone else for the replies!

Take his course, you won't regret it. It's 100% canopy control related. Last time I checked the psychoBabble was a huge part of skydiving and flying a canopy. That will never change and to say it isn't is only cutting oneself short of reality.
The whole core of the canopy accident issue is exactly this same short sightedness. Wake up.

As a scientist and a Brit I typically hate a lot of the touchy feely physco stuff (stiff upper lip and all that).

However the "psyco" stuff Brian talks about is used in limited amounts, and in a good way - particularly with regard to more novice people who are potentially suffering from sensory overload - such as their first jumps.

For instance, he says that most novice (and probably many experienced) people are nervous before exit. A few seconds in to the dive they relax. However at the point of deployment people frequently start thinking about possible malfunctions etc, and get tense. This gives them a less than perfect body position, meaning not so nice canopy deployments (twists etc) are more likely to happen. If you start to experience more frequent twists, you may relax less on deployment - and so on.

Therefore, at the point of deployment ensure you take a breath out (when we are tense we hold our breath) - you now relax more etc. The same applies to landing, if you get tense you make mistakes. As you come into land breath out, relax and you are in a better (mental) position to fly your canopy.

If you are a novice, or nervous about canopy flight then Brian's basic course is very worthwhile - although a stopwatch with an alarm would be useful so you can limit his replies to 30 seconds - 'cos he can talk the hind legs off a donkey :-)

Blue skies

Paul

Judging by your posts in other threads, I can see how the "thinking" part of canopy operation wouldn't appeal to you. You seem to be more of a, "Hey - I'll yank on this and see what happens", kind of guy.

Judging by your posts in other threads, I can see how the "thinking" part of canopy operation wouldn't appeal to you. You seem to be more of a, "Hey - I'll yank on this and see what happens", kind of guy.

I realize that this comment is just a thinly-veiled way of you having a pop at me, but I will rise above that and answer in an adult way:

On the contrary, if you had really read my comments, you would know how much time and money I have invested in canopy coaching and education.

I don't really feel the need for all the meditation-type content, but that is totally different from not thinking about canopy operation, aerodynamics and how the various inputs affect the flight of the wing.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

how much time and money I have invested in canopy coaching and education.

Keep convincing yourself that this is going to keep you safe under that canopy.:P

If you aren't pushing the envelope, you're just stationery!

Seriously, though, it's got to help, right?

~ CanuckInUSA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how much time and money I have invested in canopy coaching and education.

Keep convincing yourself that this is going to keep you safe under that canopy.

-----------------
I don't understand your point here. How can education not help?
Can you elaborate please?

Keep convincing yourself that this is going to keep you safe under that canopy.

-----------------
I don't understand your point here. How can education not help?
Can you elaborate please?

What don’t you understand about someone who only does 50 jumps a year then with only 150 jumps transitions too and starts swooping a 1.5 loaded Katana?
You think that reading a book or talking to someone on the ground is going to give you the necessary
skills and experience to safely swoop and fly this canopy?
If so we should do away with the 200 jump requirement for wing suits and camera and just give jumpers books to read.

Who only does 50 jumps a year and transitioned to a 1.5 loaded Katana at 150 jumps?
DocPop? Where did you learn that?

His profile and previous posts.

He admits he's way ahead of the recommendations.

But thinks he has the training, supervision and skill to be ok.
Others have different opinions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I realize that this comment is just a thinly-veiled way of you having a pop at me, but I will rise above that and answer in an adult way:

On the contrary, if you had really read my comments, you would know how much time and money I have invested in canopy coaching and education.

I don't really feel the need for all the meditation-type content, but that is totally different from not thinking about canopy operation, aerodynamics and how the various inputs affect the flight of the wing.

I haven't been through Brian's course but I have read his books and listened to him speak at PIA.

He is a smart guy and a good teacher, he seems to have pertinent background in the 'psychobabble stuff' and thus he relates it in his course...nothing wrong with that if you don't have any knowledge of how to control your body with your mind without negative emotion.

It's basic competitive athlete stuff geared toward skydiving.

In college I boxed and played football...my coaches taught the same kind of thing. Controlling and focusing your mind to overcome 'natural' reactions.

I found myself doing those things in the skydiving world because it was hammered into me for years, it's a useful tool and something one may want to consider if they have no experience in those areas and are stumbling.

Simple things like breathing right and visualizing success in your mind may seem trivial and unnecessary...until you master them and reach goals you earlier couldn't.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Others in internet-land who have not met me have different opinions.

FIFY

Really we're going to derail another thread with this shit?

This website has become a joke.

~ CanuckInUSA