Hey, ya'll!

I'm 41, and just this year jumped. Had always wanted to, but just last year actually decided to do it! With weather and then 9-11, we had 3 postponements before the first jump- and a repeat on our 2nd, which finally we made this year!); unfortunately, my DZ is 100+ mi. from where I live and just off the Shore, so with travel and weather/wind I've only made two jumps. LOVED IT THOUGH! Strangely enough, I was more "apprehensive" the 2nd time then the first.

My second was an Instructors' nightmare. Apprehension, then a poor exist (my thought as jumping was "I'm doing something wrong," but damn it... JUMP!) which put me in a Backwards tumble- name it and I did it wrong! I fealt terrible! Of course, as I was throwing my hands up to arch, saying to myself while tumbling, "This ain't right," I kinda (must've laughed a bit too!) grinned because it reminded me of TV shows where the cops say, "Hands-up!"

I did get the Crew a case of beer- as I tumbled they were right there, and though I've never been one for panicing,... I did have an added sense of security in the knowledge of their being there! And, since they didn't "Kick My Ass" for being an idiot, or ban me from their DZ, I look forward to seeing them next season... and every season for a long time!

Josh and his crew (Skydive, Ocean City, MD) are good people and one reason I decided earlier too continue the further trek to Ocean City for my student training (there are a few places closer) was that I fealt I could Trust them, and that they're good!

Funny, not once was I scared! It wasn't a "Text Book" jump, but I'm here to talk about it, that counts!

The people I've meant have been good people, and I'm asking everyone I know to try it at least once...

It's fun, it's Safe... if you don't get foolish! And, though it seems expensive too learn, it really isn't! Not for the thrill(s).

I apologize for this being so "long winded!"

3.jpg

Strangely enough, I was more "apprehensive" the 2nd time then the first.

I think this is a really common thing. Maybe because the first time it's such a surreal experience that you don't even fully comprehend what you're about to do. I know I was a lot more nervous the second time I jumped.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I did get the Crew a case of beer- as I tumbled they were right there, and though I've never been one for panicing,... I did have an added sense of security in the knowledge of their being there!

Yeah, the trust thing with my instructors helped so much.I never expected them to "save" my life,I trusted them to teach me to save my own life.If that trust thing had not been there,I dont think I would have continued the training.
Welcome

dropdeded
PCSS#26
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Funny, not once was I scared!

You should be. ;)

What I was told when I started was "If your not scared, your stupid". As a jumpmaster I dread going out the door with someone who's cool, calm & collected on the ride up. 99% of the time they exit and freak.

I guess Apprehension qualifies.

Welcome to our world.:)
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

Your beginning sounds a lot like my own, only I'm 58, and on my 1st AFF jump my rightside Instructor had to pull for me. I couldn't find the PC hacky.

Welcome,

Patrick (POPS #8701)
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

Welcome to the sport. Your experience is not as uncommon as you might think. I started jumping in 1977 near Hagerstown. You know what? I remember looking out the door on my second jump and wondering why I was more scared than I had been on the first!
If you're not scared, you aren't right. Won't be long before the fear turns to joyous anticipation.

Excellent pic!

The people I've meant have been good people, and I'm asking everyone I know to try it at least once...

It's fun, it's Safe... if you don't get foolish! And, though it seems expensive too learn, it really isn't! Not for the thrill(s).

Hi Michael and welcome to the wonderful sport of skydiving where the only bad thing about it is that you may actaully like it. So don't be surprised if you spend hours upon hours of each day thinking about it, and spend most of your expendible income on jumps and gear. But what the heck, what's money for anyway, right? :)

Now I'm still pretty new to the sport myself (my first jump was in July) and I've only been able to get one friend to do a tandem since then. But like you I often tell people that they should try a tandem at least once. But most won't.

Now whuffos think that skydiving is more dangerous than it really is, but I also wonder how many of us (myself included), don't realize that's it's more dangerous than we think it is. Just something to ponder? :)

Anyway, welcome to "dropzone.com" ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over