sangiro

IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement

Hi everyone,

This is an important announcement regarding the management of Dropzone.com.

As you know Dropzone.com, together with Rockclimbing.com and BASEjumper.com, was purchased by NameMedia in May 2008 and was operated by them ever since. Unfortunately, as the economy worsened over the past few months it became financially unfeasible for NameMedia to continue to operate these sites, which brought them to a difficult choice - either find a suitable buyer fast or shut the sites down. The first option wasn't really possible in these times and the second, while obviously not desirable became more and more likely.

After much deliberation Daniel and I (D4DR Media) has agreed to resume the operational responsibilities for the sites. We've run these sites on a pretty tight budget before and we can do so again. We trust this arrangement will ensure the longevity of these online communities.

Practically this means we will resume all day-to-day management and operational responsibilities of Dropzone.com, while NameMedia will handle ad sales and marketing. NameMedia will remain the overall owner and we’ll retain a minority interest in the sites as a longer-term incentive for our efforts.

One very unfortunate side-effect of all of this is that NameMedia was unable to retain a full-time salaried publisher, so Jay Young (j_ung) was let go from his position by NameMedia on Friday. This was a pure business decision and in no way a reflection on Jay's performance. I think we can all agree that he did a terrific job and added a lot of value to the site during his time as publisher, and we will miss him in that role. Thank you for what you did here Jay.

For the immediate future though I will take his place as head-honcho until a longer-term solution is put in place.

This is a unique new period for Dropzone.com in the sense that we're really forced to hunker down and survive a tough economic climate, while preserving the character and value of Dropzone.com. We’re quite confident we can do that while continuing to have a load of fun at the same time!

Onwards. B|
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Sorry things didn't work out as expected, but a big thanks for keeping this site going in tough times.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi all. Just thought I'd drop a quick note.

Well, the last five months certainly have been interesting. Thanks to everybody who lent me their support and trust. I hope that, by and large, I did right by you folks. Ciao.

J

PS: Willem, go get 'em. :)

Sorry to hear the economy has reached out to our little piece of cyberspace. Thanks for holding on to keeping the site going.

Jay did a terrific job, and I hope he lands softly on his feet.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Sorry things didn't work out as expected, but a big thanks for keeping this site going in tough times.

I have no reason to complain. While not perfect, things actually worked out quite well for us. This new arrangement is a win-win addendum to the existing agreement we have with NameMedia.

Jay has really been the one on the receiving end of this crunch. :(
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I hope that, by and large, I did right by you folks.

~ You did a stellar job Jay, I hope one of these dayz our paths cross...LIKE AT A DROPZONE! ;)

..YA sure won't find ME hanging on a rock! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks J - you were with us for a short time, but you did great!

And HH - welcome back
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

You were stealthy-quiet enough to fit right in with a bunch of skydivers -- makes me want to go meet a bunch of rock-climbers :P. Good luck, Jay. & Welcome back, HH

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

AIG couldn't be tempted then?

Welcome back.

That gives me another idea: HH should apply for some of that US Govt bailout money.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What does it mean that the two best skydiving media products (SKYDIVING magazine and DROPZONE.COM) both hit the wall and hit it nearly simultaneously?

Jay did a great job, hope he finds a good landing spot. Sangiro is an old pro at this and I welcome his return.

How about some cheaper form of membership or even a Paypal donation button? Most participants aren't premier members because of the high price. I bet if everyone gave a dollar a month it would help, but there is no easy way to do it, or if there is I have missed it.

Welcome back Sangiro and Daniel. Hope it prospers under you.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I want to thank you for the opportunity to participate in this forum. I agree with some of the others - if there was a cheaper limited style membership - many more would be paying there part instead of a freeloader like myself.

I am not a jumper but would do my part to keep this forum going. I owe you guys so much.

Thanks.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

I remember giving $25 via PayPal last April. My PayPal Account remembers also. I don't remember where the link was and I'm sure it's not there anymore, but you used to be able to donate via PayPal.

Welcome back to the fray my friend. I'm sorry things did not continue as you had planned, but I'm glad to have you back on the day to day here.

So is His Forkness going to tighten the reins a little on frivolousness?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You did a great job Jay..... I wish you the best and who knows, as times change you might be able to come back since they love you so much. I wish nothing but success for you. Bravo Zulu!!! :)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!